Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Where to buy palm and coconut oil for soap making?

Can you get them in a grocery store? I just want something cheap. We have some food stamp money now and I was hoping to be able to get most my soap making ingredients with them to help save money.

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where to buy palm and coconut oil for soap making?

I get mine at the Commissary, but I think Walmart carries it, too. I use olive oil and coconut oil, and no palm oil. You can buy palm oil online, but it's really expensive.

Making soap doesn't really save money because the initial expense is so much. You do get enough soap for a year or so, but how many bars of soap do you go through in a year anyway? Probably not $50 or more worth, KWIM?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

ITA with what PP mentioned...

Also if you buy a natural or organic soap that was densely milled, it takes a lot longer to use (although I have no idea if you can use food stamps for this kind of soap).
JAG's baby mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

walmart carries coconut oil in the baking aisle with the olive oil and cooking sprays. i bought mine iwth food stamps.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2two View Post
I get mine at the Commissary, but I think Walmart carries it, too. I use olive oil and coconut oil, and no palm oil. You can buy palm oil online, but it's really expensive.

Making soap doesn't really save money because the initial expense is so much. You do get enough soap for a year or so, but how many bars of soap do you go through in a year anyway? Probably not $50 or more worth, KWIM?
I know! Making soap is so expensive. But I have little one's with bad skin and I also always come out of the shower itchy from the soap. So since we have a HUGE amount of food stamps, for this month(retroactive from Jan. too ) I want to go ahead and stock up on all the oils(the expensive part) and that way I can make my soap for almost free.

I will look for coconut oil at Walmart, I didn't see it when I was there Sat. but I wasn't looking for it. What does the packaging look like? I guess I'll find a recipe without palm oil.

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited to do this! I love homemade soap!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Look for it in the baking aisle and it's in a round cylindrical container with a green lid. But just know that coconut at Wal-Mart has gone really high!

You're better off, usually, ordering in semi-bulk (more than normal, but less than true bulk) at one of these places.

http://www.columbusfoods.com
http://www.oilsbynature.com

Hope that helps!
Check out the Miller Soap site too if you're just starting!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Ignore the oils in the soap recipe. It's the ratio between lye water and oil that is important, not the amounts of the oils themselves. Just make sure you have the right amount of oils, and you are OK.

How often are you showering? Showering everyday is a modern American thing. Most people/cultures do not bathe that often.