Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:
Yikes-- the baby I watch just got hospitalized with RSV :( & I have some questions...

Poor guy-- he's 2 months old. Last Friday his mom took him into the doctor for a cough, and he was (mis) diagnosed with bronchitis. He was put on a mild dose of albuterol. Today she brought him here at 5:30, and he sounded terrible. Mom said "the doctor said not to bring him back in unless he was so stuffed up he couldn't drink his bottle." He could still drink his bottle, so she felt like she couldn't bring him in. Stupid doctor-- I can't believe he told her that.
Anyway, I fed him a bottle an hour later and his breathing really scared me. He had such a bad coughing attack that he threw up most of his bottle afterwards. I called and told her I thought she should bring him back in regardless of what the doctor said-- something was wrong. She was in tears, because she knew something was wrong, but she was also trusting her doctor...long story short, she came and took him to the doctor, and they sent her right to a children's hospital because he was having such difficulty breathing.
Soooo.. he was diagnosed with RSV, and was admitted so they could help him breathe. Now I know my girls were fully exposed-- he coughed right in my older DD's face this morning. I'm not super worried about them because they're not babies, but I'm worried about them having it and spreading it to our friends' babies. Has anyone had 2 and 3 year olds with rsv? What do the symptoms look like? How many days before we're in the clear? (they were around him Thursday too, but he wasn't coughing so he may not have been contagious then) TIA mamas.

Advertisement

Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs

Last edited by MacMama; 02-23-2009 at 03:38 PM.
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yikes-- the baby I watch just got hospitalized with RSV :( & I have some question

I don't have any advice but seeing that you are pregnant I would be more worried about you then your older children! I would call your OB and see if this is something you should be concerned about and what to look out for!

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yikes-- the baby I watch just got hospitalized with RSV :( & I have some question

Tharen had it just after his first birthday. He had a cough, and was super congested. It lasted quite a while, but by the time I took him to the Dr they said he wasn't really contagious anymore, so I don't know how long that lasts. Honestly it was never bad enough that I felt like I really needed to take him in, but dh and Kearnan all got sick around the same time, and dh wound up having strep so I decided to at least get the boys checked so we could treat it if they had caught it from him.

It is possible that your kids are already immune, but it is also possible for them to be carriers without ever showing any symptoms, as it is for everyone else. I would just take common sense precautions. Have them wash their hands alot, not touch the babies hands or face, and if they show any symptoms of congestion or cough keep them home and get them checked out. This time of year you should be keeping to these precautions anyway, you never know what you or your kids have been exposed to, even if you never develop any symptoms.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I don't have any advice but seeing that you are pregnant I would be more worried about you then your older children! I would call your OB and see if this is something you should be concerned about and what to look out for!

Good luck!
I did freak out about that-- but I called my CNM and she said it might give me a bad "cold" but it wouldn't hurt the baby thank God.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That would suck!! I'm sorry he's like that. And I hope you guys are ok. I would just keep an eye on everything. My son just ended up in the ER for xrays. It was not phemonia but he's on a nebulizer. Things are bad this time of year. I'd just watch everyone. GL mama and hope the LO gets better.