Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Registered Users
Potty Training regression??

DS has been fully potty trained (during the day) for 11 months. All of a sudden, he's had a huge leap backwards. He is wetting himself several times a day, even at school and therapy. The worst part is he doesn't mind being wet, so he doesn't even tell you when he's had an accident (depending on the pants he is wearing it can be hard to tell just by looking.) He'll sit in his wet pants until an adult notices and makes him change. Sitting in the wetness has caused a horrible rash on his bum. How do I handle this? Do I start using trainers even though he's been in underwear for almost a year? That seems like moving backwards. Do I just keep changing his clothes 5+ times a day? I don't know what to do.

There haven't been any changes to routine, but he has started to show a lot of anxiety lately- so something might be up. I know accidents can be a red flag for abuse, but he's not ever left alone except for at school (he's not really even left with other family members) so I don't think that's it. He does have PDD-NOS (autism spectrum), but I don't know why we'd have no issues when he first learned, but 11 months later take a huge step back.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

After struggling with PCOS, IF, and multiple miscarriages, my family is complete.
DS 2005 and DD 2007
jac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Potty Training regression??

Both my kids had been trained and doing great for over 6 months, they both regressed. DS#1 only had tinckle accidents. DS#2 is currently retraining, he was completely trained and about 3 weeks ago he started going poopy in his underwear, then a few days later tinckle. I got upset and frustated and was being strict with him and upset with him. That wasn't helping at all. So I went back to the basics. Started training himm just like we had when he was first learning. Lots of complements, and hugs for a good job...and 2 jelly beans for #2 and 1 jelly bean for #1 (only if he had clean underwear) We did have to up the motivation alittle bit though. If he gets his underwaer dirty he can NOT have his nuk at rest or bed time!! That got his attention! Good luck!! It can happen at any age.
babywearing SAHM mom to 6 and 5 year old intact boys and 3 and a 1 yr old girls
domdandev is offline   Reply With Quote