Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #21
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: grrr.... I want to SPANK my kids!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyHouse View Post
there is nothing wrong with spanking if you keep your self control!! We spank our ds- once for every year he is. It works better than time out, taking toys away, etc. Kids need to realize there are consequences to their misbehavior. If they dont learn that now, they never will and will be misbehaving all thier lives.
wow. just wow.

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #22
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Consequences are being hit/spanked whatever you want to call it.. that's what we want them to learn?

ok to use spoons to spank with?

My DS 1 was swatted one time by me at about 3 yo for running in the street in front of a car. Even then I felt horrible for it but wanted him to know that was not ok due his life being involved.
So I'm not innocent in the spanking dept. I've done it once. But for the reasons being given I just can't see how it's justified or fair. Sorry my

Last edited by Bee Green Naturals; 02-24-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Bee Green Naturals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaliff View Post
A "spanking spoon" was mentioned in the OP.
And I was talking to the posters who said "Its okay, we use a spanking spoon".
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #24
Nathalie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Take a deep breath mama.

As far as this situation goes it sounds like you've made some changes to your parenting lately,and it sounds like you'd like to stick to those changes.So I would definitely recommend finding something he values and take it away if he doesn't change his attitude.Very simple cause and effect.
I see that you're trying that with time outs,but some kids are more attached to a possession than time with family.
My older son is in Gr.1 and I've found his attitude has changed since he went to school in the fall-we skipped Kindergarten.He's way more mouthy and disrespectful. It makes me very angry at times,too.I find that I've had to ground him from being able to go to friend's houses,taken away books or toys and sometimes that doesn't make any difference.I notice when he spends time away from school-like at Christmas break-he stops behaving like that.Soooooo frustrating!
Could you maybe speak to his teacher and ask if he/she has noticed anything unusual-is this a way he behaves at school also?

I hope you're able to find a solution mama-and you know you have other mamas to talk to if you find yourself overwhelmed.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #25
Mockeh
Registered Users

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with spanking if you keep your self control!! We spank our ds- once for every year he is. It works better than time out, taking toys away, etc. Kids need to realize there are consequences to their misbehavior. If they dont learn that now, they never will and will be misbehaving all thier lives.
wtf..
Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #26
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

Don't get me wrong, I've seriously had to walk out of a room or laugh something off or else my kids would get karate chopped, but I feel like with every instance I get better at being the "adult" in the situation and just stay cool as a clam.

IMO (and I think this is what your asking for) Spanking, with anything, teaches kids that it's ok to hurt or physically inflict power on someone for misbehaving. It is also embarrassing to your child and to me, is just as disrespectful as his language towards you.

Now if my kids told me "I think certainly not" I'd probably heed it off with a "I think certainly so" and just leave it at that. But the other things, I'd sit him down and tell him that talk is disrespectful and if he doesn't "get it" ask him if he'd say it to his teacher or a police officer? (this works with my kids, they see the "institutional" setting in school where if they misbehave to the teacher, they see the principal etc...puts it into perspective a bit better and their teacher is also a neutral person, not mommy and they'd maybe feel a little more comfortable testing the waters with you vs. a teacher or police man.)

I'd also tell him (maybe as pathetically possible) that this talking back hurts mommy's feelings, that he wouldn't like you talking like that to him, it would hurt him too.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #27
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have experience with the mouthing-off stuff (discussing it works well with our 3-year-old), but with toys left out my dad would just tell us anything left out in the living room when we went to bed was his. It would go in a box in his room until he decided to give it back. After a day or two the toys always got picked up at bedtime
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #28
Elisabeth1017
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Wow. I feel so sorry for your child.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #29
Kaymadmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been in your shoes and I can totally sympathize with what you are feeling.

If you spank your child and the behavior stops, it is only because your child is afraid of the pain of future spankings. I'd much rather my child obey me because they actually respect me and want to make me happy.

To those people who spank: if it works so well, why do you have to keep doing it? Using an object or putting something in a child's mouth are barbaric.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #30
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is going to get ugly....