Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #501
FernHollow
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,397
My Mood:
Re: Waiting on the Wool to Change -- Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma'sMommy View Post
I'm here...and knitting. Though, if tomorrow is destined to be anything like today..I should hit the sack.
So...are you in Tacoma? I'm about an hour and 20 south of Tacoma.

I'm actually about 5 min north of Tacoma, in Gig Harbor. I'm literally just a couple minutes from the Narrows Bridge. That is totally driveable distance, we should meet up at the zoo or something sometime Although thee would be no yarn there, so not sure how much fun that would be for us

I found some coconut milk ice cream in the freezer. I chose the ice cream over working on Charlie's board shorts

Advertisement

FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #502
joanna19's Avatar
joanna19
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 8,384
My Mood:
Re: Waiting on the Wool to Change -- Tuesday

Tina, are you not iso all that stuff in your siggy anymore??
__________________
Jo -- babywearin' mama to Anni 06.07 & Tennyson 12.09 --- ALWAYS
joanna19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:14 AM   #503
FernHollow
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,397
My Mood:
Re: Waiting on the Wool to Change -- Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBaby View Post
I think I might rather do homework than knit these dang i-cords. Well, depending on the homework subject.
You should get one of those i-cord maker thingies. I don't think they work well with heavier yarns from what I've heard though, so it would have to be for worsted weight i-cords.

I don't even bother with i-cords anymore, I just make a nice thick twisted cord with my mixer. I realized this morning as I was cleaning the kitchen that there is still yarn attached to my mixer from like 2 weeks ago. You can tell how much baking time I have with 3 kids
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #504
Teeniebean's Avatar
Teeniebean
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sunny Shuswap, BC
Posts: 6,798
My Mood:
Re: Waiting on the Wool to Change -- Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBaby View Post
I think I might rather do homework than knit these dang i-cords. Well, depending on the homework subject.
I hate I-cords, too. But I hate biochemical techniques and industrial microbiology more! I have a presentation tomorrow and a midterm on Friday, too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna19 View Post
I am sooooooo behind on my baby fair prep it's not even funny.
Tina, i love the knitting bag you posted. how do you like it?
It's cute - but I haven't even packed it up yet . I love the hinge top - it opens up nice and wide! And I really like how it doesn't look like a knitting bag .

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna19 View Post
Tina, are you not iso all that stuff in your siggy anymore??
I haven't gotten the Dragon's Lair, but I don't know if I need it anymore. I am getting trim for my Synchronicity and Poppies though ! And I still want to see what you are getting rid of .

I just bought some MM Chocolat on Marr Haven yesterday, and I hope to score Teresa's RFR on Marr Haven, too. And then I'm getting Hadassah with trim in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
You should get one of those i-cord maker thingies. I don't think they work well with heavier yarns from what I've heard though, so it would have to be for worsted weight i-cords.

I don't even bother with i-cords anymore, I just make a nice thick twisted cord with my mixer. I realized this morning as I was cleaning the kitchen that there is still yarn attached to my mixer from like 2 weeks ago. You can tell how much baking time I have with 3 kids
How exactly do you do the twisted cord with the mixer? I just crocheted a cord for DD's shorties (after I couldn't do an I-cord), but I like the look of the twisted cords better.

What size needles do you usually use for I-cords, anyway?
__________________
Tina, mama to Josephine Isobel - born November 25, 2007, and a little bean, due March 25, 2010.
Teenie Knits blogging here!
Teeniebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #505
joanna19's Avatar
joanna19
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 8,384
My Mood:
Re: Waiting on the Wool to Change -- Tuesday

Nice haul! yes, when i get my yarn I'll take some pics and send em to ya to have a look. where did you get your knittin' bag?
__________________
Jo -- babywearin' mama to Anni 06.07 & Tennyson 12.09 --- ALWAYS
joanna19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #506
Teeniebean's Avatar
Teeniebean
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sunny Shuswap, BC
Posts: 6,798
My Mood:
Re: Waiting on the Wool to Change -- Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna19 View Post
Nice haul! yes, when i get my yarn I'll take some pics and send em to ya to have a look. where did you get your knittin' bag?
I got it on FSOT on the HC forums. It is a Jordana Paige bag - I think there might be a few stores in Canada that carry them...

How is your scarf coming along?
__________________
Tina, mama to Josephine Isobel - born November 25, 2007, and a little bean, due March 25, 2010.
Teenie Knits blogging here!
Teeniebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 AM   #507
FernHollow
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,397
My Mood:
Re: Waiting on the Wool to Change -- Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeniebean View Post
How exactly do you do the twisted cord with the mixer? I just crocheted a cord for DD's shorties (after I couldn't do an I-cord), but I like the look of the twisted cords better.

What size needles do you usually use for I-cords, anyway?
Hey if that Dragon's lair is on Cestari, Targhee, or Rambo I know of a loving home for it

I know there has got to be a tutorial for twisted cords with mixer somewhere. I learned from a local friend. I use my stand mixer instead of a handheld and it works fine. I know for a size medium I tie the to my fridge and the other end to the mixer, it is the perfect distance. I usually use 3-ish strands. Then I turn on the mixer and let it tightly twist the yarn to the point it is curling over itself. Then I stop the mixer, cut the loop (not the cord!) of the yarn off the fridge handle and take it to the mixer. I put the 2 end pieces together in one hand, and use the other hand to kinda pull on it/smooth it. This makes it twist on itself nicely. You have to do this kinda in a quick motion.

Sorry if that makes no sense, it is WAAAAY past my bedtime. I sure hope the yarn is done soon, or I might start making purchases I won't remember tommorrow. I just bought that DTF "simplicity" yarn on Spots for no purpose except that it is pretty Seriously, bad stuff happens to my pp at this time of night
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #508
Teeniebean's Avatar
Teeniebean
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sunny Shuswap, BC
Posts: 6,798
My Mood:
Re: Waiting on the Wool to Change -- Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Hey if that Dragon's lair is on Cestari, Targhee, or Rambo I know of a loving home for it

I know there has got to be a tutorial for twisted cords with mixer somewhere. I learned from a local friend. I use my stand mixer instead of a handheld and it works fine. I know for a size medium I tie the to my fridge and the other end to the mixer, it is the perfect distance. I usually use 3-ish strands. Then I turn on the mixer and let it tightly twist the yarn to the point it is curling over itself. Then I stop the mixer, cut the loop (not the cord!) of the yarn off the fridge handle and take it to the mixer. I put the 2 end pieces together in one hand, and use the other hand to kinda pull on it/smooth it. This makes it twist on itself nicely. You have to do this kinda in a quick motion.

Sorry if that makes no sense, it is WAAAAY past my bedtime. I sure hope the yarn is done soon, or I might start making purchases I won't remember tommorrow. I just bought that DTF "simplicity" yarn on Spots for no purpose except that it is pretty Seriously, bad stuff happens to my pp at this time of night
Thanks! I will have to give it a try next time. Re: the DL - I just removed it from my ISO, I don't have it coming or anything. If I did I would definitely let you know. I just decided it is too boyish for DD.
__________________
Tina, mama to Josephine Isobel - born November 25, 2007, and a little bean, due March 25, 2010.
Teenie Knits blogging here!
Teeniebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #509
joanna19's Avatar
joanna19
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 8,384
My Mood:
Re: Waiting on the Wool to Change -- Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeniebean View Post
I got it on FSOT on the HC forums. It is a Jordana Paige bag - I think there might be a few stores in Canada that carry them...

How is your scarf coming along?
i LOVE those bags on there!!!!!!! they don't look like a knitting bag per se ya know? nice score. now i want one...thanks Tina. I like the smaller ones on there. the others look gigantor! how's the size on yours?

eta: the scarf is a-ok. just put on the other skein yesterday.
__________________
Jo -- babywearin' mama to Anni 06.07 & Tennyson 12.09 --- ALWAYS

Last edited by joanna19; 02-25-2009 at 12:54 AM.
joanna19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #510
Teeniebean's Avatar
Teeniebean
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sunny Shuswap, BC
Posts: 6,798
My Mood:
Re: Waiting on the Wool to Change -- Tuesday

My bag is pretty big, but it seems most knitting bags are.
__________________
Tina, mama to Josephine Isobel - born November 25, 2007, and a little bean, due March 25, 2010.
Teenie Knits blogging here!
Teeniebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.