Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do I do if I don't have enough milk?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchPunkMom
Great advice given, just wanted to add - make sure you're well hydrated, but not over hydrated. If you drink too much, you can actually dilute your hormones and cause more supply loss.

If you have a hard time relaxing, drink a glass of wine before nursing. It will help you relax enough to have a good letdown - however, if you're fine without it it can actually slow your letdown reflex (alcohol just slows you down period) causing frustration for baby.
Wanted to add that I drank a glass of red wine to help my supply, but I also had an overactive letdown. I had no idea it would mess with your letdown.

A really great website that has helped me with nursing 2 babies is www.kellymom.com HTH!

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #12
tanyaandallie
Registered Users

Frequent nursing is just what newborn babies do. You also want to keep in mind that around 3 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt. So, it's likely your little one may be headed right into a growth spurt. The absolute best thing for you to do is resist the urge to supplement and nurse your baby as much as possible. The frequent nursing will slow down, I promise. It is 100% normal for babies to nurse constantly and not a sign of low supply at all.

If you are super worried about your supply, watch your babies diaper output and take her (or was it him) in for a weight check. These are the 2 key factors to look at when determining if you are producing enough milk. If your baby is wetting plenty of dipes each day and gaining weight, you have nothing at all to worry about!!

old ds feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=5132.0
tanyaandallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:17 AM   #13
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Everyone has such great advice. I also had a 5lb baby he was so small I was scared but he ate all the time he was at my breast constantley and to top it off he had torticolis so i only fed him on my left breast the right one dried up so he nursed all the time but because of the suckling he managed to make up for the one breast by helping to produce more milk in the left side to meet his needs. when your baby is just sucking he is telling your breast that you need to produce more milk for him. Don't worry and don't give up you are giving your baby the best gift ever. You will not regret it trust me. keep at it and baby will keep growing!!!! also talk to your ped. and don't use formula if you don't have too. oh and one other thing try pumping when baby is calm or sleeping and it has been a while since you last nursed. this way you can kind of see just how much you are producing! If you have not used a bottle yet just freeze what you pump until you are ready ( but don't freeze for longer then 6 weeks) Good luck Mama you are doing the best thing for you baby!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:03 AM   #14
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, what they all said...with a couple of other things....

sounds like you have plenty of milk, and the more babies nurse the more milk you make. When watching diapers, though, you need to watch for wet and dirty...wet diapers indicate hydration, dirty indicated digestive activity. Breastfed babies sometimes go WEEKS without a bowel movement, but that doesn't start until they are 6 weeks old or so, so your little one should be having daily bowel movements.

He does have a weight gain, whicch is great! One other thing to keep in mind is that your hindmilk is more nutrient-dense than your foremilk, and also offers great satiety. Try putting your breats on a schedule lol! Nurse him only one the left (for example) for three or four hours, regardless of how many times he nurses, then switch to the right for the next several hours. This way, you are ensuring that he is fully "emptying" each breast and getting the most hindmilk he can.

Some babies nurse more than others, and smaller babies tend to have a harder time learning to nurse efficiently--they often need to nurse more often than babies who are larger. If you do opt for weight checks, be sure theat he is weighed on the same scale EACH time, and the slightest miscalibration can change a new baby's weight significantly.

Keep up the good work!!!!
jennyofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:49 AM   #15
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Water is a must.

You can also start pumping along with your let down on the other breast and this will stimulate more of a demand. Should result in more milk. My first child 16 years ago I worked full time and had a elderly private sitter in my home who CDd for me and bottle fed my breast milk while I was at work. I easily doubled my milk supply when I started pumping extra for the freezer -- and once you get it up you can always donate any extra milk to a milk bank.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:59 AM   #16
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and jencat'smeow has some great carriers that might be comfy for you and your baby, at a reasonable price! (In one of the previous posts) She's a great mamma to work with. She even has some clearance slings for really low, like under $20!

Oh, and thought I'd add this...

MAMMA YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:18 AM   #17
leobaby04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You're doing great!!! The pp are all exactly right. Just try not to stress and your milk will catch up with your babe's appetite. Don't worry
leobaby04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #18
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice and support!
I guess I will stay strapped to my couch for a while longer! It's hard, tho, b/c I also have a 15 mth old to keep up with! It is very difficult to nurse constantly and keep up with DS #1!!
I have just bought a sling actually! I got it in the mail yesterday! I have not had the chance to really use it yet...but I will soon!!
Thanks guys!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote