Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you stop a biter?!!??

My DD is the kid at daycare that bites everyone... It is driving me crazy b/c she bites me too. I actually have bloody and bruised bite marks from her! She bit twice yesterday at daycare, and ended up sent to the office. 3 times in one day and she is sent home.

I have tried biting her back a couple of times, popping her (please, no flaming here...I am desparate, telling her it hurts. NOTHING works...Does it just take time for it to stop?

I can't have a kid that is kicked out of daycare for biting! Although, 2 kids bit today there. And I noticed that she had a bite mark on her arm, and they didn't tell me about it, so they must not have seen it.

oh, she is 19 months old too

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you stop a biter?!!??

I'm gonna be watching this b/c my 2yo DS is the biter now too. My kids were always the ones getting bit (bloody horrible ones one time!) and now its my turn! He actually bit my daycare guy twice and I was literally trying to pull him off of him. I am at a loss as to what to do. I did bite his finger the last time and he's only done it once since, obviously not the method I want to use. I know its just because he's jealous and doesn't want me giving my attn to this little guy. I try to spend more one on one time with him but I know another thing is constant supervision. I try to keep the DC guy with me now while I'm making lunch and cleaning up just to prevent the chance. If your DCP didn't let you know about the bite she has and is having frequent biting issues you may wanna ask about the level of supervision. I know that the 2 times its happened at my house were when I went to the bathroom and when I was in the kitchen making lunch, both are one room away from my living room.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

my son used to be a biter, i hated it and it was really hard, he just got over it, we also tried the biting back and popping in the mouth~NO flaming~ anyways, they didn't help much, he just eventually got over it and stopped, OH i do remember one thing, i told him any times, if he didn't stop i was throwing his teeth in the trash..lol it didn't last long, maybe 5-6 months and it was over, goodluck mamas
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How is your DC's vocabulary.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

I'll be watching this too. My dd is only 11 months, but bit a baby in the docs office the other day, and bites both me and my dh. The only suggestion that I have gotten to make them bite themself, but that doesn't work for us, as dd bites herself by choice and doesn't seem to care.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
grace134
Registered Users
seller

Well when I was a toddler, I was the biter! I bit my sister and brother constantly. I did it till I was three or four, because I remember it really clearly. I just felt compelled. My mom always told me that "Nobody likes a biter." And she says that's what helped--I got freaked out at the idea of no one being my friend anymore.
Oddly, I still have kind of an oral fixation, like I chew my nails, pens, anything I happen to have in my hands, so it might be a personality trait.
grace134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:53 AM   #7
LambyPants
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

19 months? Sounds like she's testing out those chompers!!

My ten year old was a biter too. We bought him a bean bag frog with super soft plasticy feet. We told him if he wanted to bite he could only bite his frog feet. When he bit the feet it left an imprint of his bite mark which he was completely fascinated by, and then after a while it disappeared (even more fascinating!!) He loved that thing so much, we added if he bit a person or a pet, we'd take the frog!! We watched him closely and if he looked like he wanted to bite someone we'd hold our hand out and say "give me froggy" which he would respond with a quick "NO!" and then we'd remind him no biting!!

He took the frog everywhere and his daycare got in on it and after about a month no more biting incidences!! It took careful watching him though and consistency. No matter how upset he got, he'd lose the frog for an hour if he bit someone. All day if he did it again. It'd be sitting on his pillow in the morning when he woke up to start a new day to try again.

Hope this is helpful!!
Stacey
Old 12-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

As a former day care teacher, I've dealt w/ this alot. We have done many different things, from letting the child carry a teether EVERYWHERE with them, following the child everywhere and stopping them from biting, giving them teether, reminding them we dont bite friends, we bite food. I once got split into a new classroom with only the children who bite. I would talk to the teachers to see what they are doing to prevent and what they do when it happens. It sounds like there is more biting going on then I have dealt with in the past. Maybe they need to do more structured activities w. the children. Biting is more likely to happen during unstructured play times. Even if they are letting the children "freeplay" there should be a teacher with each cluster of children (say in the kitchen area and in blocks, wherever the kids are) playing with them and helping out b4 conflicts arise. I'm not trying to say they arent doing this, but it is a possibility. It is also ahelpful if they writte down info about the bites (ie 9:30 G bit S in the block area, 10:15 G bit T in block area) then you can see if there is a pattern, g likes the blocks but cant share, S makes fun of G, etc, and try to avoid the situations that are moost likely to cause biting. At that age kids dont share very well, so make sure they have duplicate toys and that they do art, sensory, and skill type activities with the children daily. HTH!

Last edited by libranbutterfly; 12-01-2006 at 10:50 AM.
libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanadaydreamin View Post
My DD is the kid at daycare that bites everyone... It is driving me crazy b/c she bites me too. I actually have bloody and bruised bite marks from her! She bit twice yesterday at daycare, and ended up sent to the office. 3 times in one day and she is sent home.

I have tried biting her back a couple of times, popping her (please, no flaming here...I am desparate, telling her it hurts. NOTHING works...Does it just take time for it to stop?

I can't have a kid that is kicked out of daycare for biting! Although, 2 kids bit today there. And I noticed that she had a bite mark on her arm, and they didn't tell me about it, so they must not have seen it.

oh, she is 19 months old too

lol I have to laugh because my third went through this at the same age. We always told her no biting tried biting her back to show it hurts so forth and so on. well one day after she horribly bit my best friends daughter I looked at her and declared "WE DO NOT [B]EAT[B] PEOPLE!!!" and she looked at me and her eyes got really big and said "OHHHH" . I laugh now because apparently we were just using the wrong words to get through to her!...Minda
Old 12-03-2006, 06:02 AM   #10
Summer
Registered Users
seller

Smile Re: How do you stop a biter?!!??

One of my twin boy's went through a biting stage and NOTHING was working-scolding, timeouts etc... I finally found something that worked IMMEDIATELY. Whenever he would bite his twin, I put a drop of apple cider vinegar on his tongue and told him firmly "NO BITING". It happened 1 more time after that and then he realized that the consequences for biting would NOT be worth it and it never happened again. Apple cider vinegar does not taste pleasant, but biting doesn't feel to good either to the child on the receiving end of it.
Summer is offline   Reply With Quote