Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The best nursing products? (Bras, Tops, Gowns, etc)

I am due with baby #1 in just over a month. I want to order some nursing bras/tops, etc to wear right away (I know I am NOT going to want to go shopping at that point) and was curious what you all have found to be the best? I've heard glamourmom tops are good, bravado bras (I love that it comes in leopard, I have to admit), and to avoid the tops from Motherhood because they aren't supportive. Have you found this to be true? I'm a 34 (maybe now a 36?) full D-DD at this point, so support is a must. I'll be a SAHM, so I don't really need anything fancy, just comfy. Anyway, if you get a second, I would very much appreciate any input. Thanks so much.

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
curious_george
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2hamish
seller

Re: The best nursing products? (Bras, Tops, Gowns, etc)

Well I can't recommend brands of nursing bras... I ended up preferring a platex style b/c it was almost like a sports bra and could be opened with one hand and came in my size 42 DD (although if I were honest it was more like 42 F)

I'd stay away from underwire bras and ones that are made with lots of polyester... cotton lets your boobs breathe which you'll need.

I had a bravado bra and it didn't hold me up very well. I had the super size super support model too. sigh. my boobs were bigger than Hamish's head for a long time...

As for nursing clothes... I ended up wearing big and my old maternity style t-shirts with prints and stripes b/c they didn't stain. For some reason my bm would cause grease stains that were invisible until you took them out of the dryer... grr... you can try out some styles now and find some that are cheap. You're going to want a few. I personally didn't like the style that has the holes that are covered up by an over shirt b/c you can accidentally pop out.

I did have an actual nursing nightie which I loved. But my boobs were too big for the holes (sigh again)... it would have been really easy to wear and bf wearing that.

Can you find any thrift stores which might have some clothes and bras? that way you can have lots of choice and can wait longer between washings?

just my hth

Sara
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. -- Sir Francis Bacon
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
schmaela
Registered Users
seller

I was a 34dd during pregnancy, and went up to a 36G when my milk came in! I couldn't find anything that fit properly, so I wore tank tops with built in shelf bras. 9 months later, I'm a 34f and still wearing the tank tops They are snug enough to hold nursing pads, but not so snug that they cause plugged ducts. Also, if its cold out I will just throw a tee/sweater over the tank and I have instant nursing clothes. I just pull the top of the tank down and pull the overshirt up. No floppy belly shows and the top of the breast is covered

ETA I actually have a leopard Bravado in the S++ size if you want to try one out before paying full price for one, pm me if you are interested

Last edited by schmaela; 12-01-2006 at 01:25 PM.
schmaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wore and still wear my non-wire add-a-cup victoria secret bra. I tried nursing bras but they were too thin. I am of the smaller a/b cup size variety though so i don't know if it is the same way with larger sizes.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
apelilae
Registered Users

I LOVE my Bravado nursing tanks. They are very supportive and I can wear a lot of stuff I normally wear and have my tummy covered. Motherhood soft cup, underwire nursing bras are my fav bras. Bravado fit funny and showed under all my v-neck tops. All nursing clothing I've tried looks bad, you can see the lines of the openings, but some of the dresses look really nice from Motherwear. HTH
Old 12-01-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
dreamtiger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i heard the Yes! bra that you can buy on ebay is even better than bravado. I don't know cuz i haven't tried either as I got both mine from Target and I've had no complaints (but then I'm only a 38 C breastfeeding)

I also LIVE in my Target nursing cami ($16) and as a mom up there has said, put clothes over it and just pull up. I find snug fitting tops over my nursing cami works best so that it's not constantly falling down plus if it's black on black, people can't even tell I have my shirt pulled up. Now I just put on button sweaters over my cami since it's chillier.

in the beginning, I lived in just my nursing bras and pj bottoms. but I would definitely recommend getting a nice/pretty nursing pj set if you can afford it because I felt like crap already and was living in PJs, it would have been nice to at least look good. Also, be careful of lansinoh if you BF and put it on your nipples, it stained my bras and a lot of my clothes before I knew it.

Oh and as you said, I found the motherhood nursing tops/bras really bad for me and totally not supportive. I complained to them and told them to look into their design department hopefully they will do something about it!

Last edited by dreamtiger; 12-01-2006 at 11:32 PM.
dreamtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for your input. Now I just need to decide where to spend the $$. I've been warning my husband that I am going to be buying nursing "stuff" so watch out! Oh - and I was already thinking about buying some matching pjs to wear at first to feel a little more attractive, I'm glad to have been backed up on that one. Now I can REALLY justify it.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
OTMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOVE THE LEOPARD BRAVADO!

I didn't have that for my first, bought if for my 2nd and loved it to death! It's the most comfortable for those first 6 weeks...you can even sleep in it! I prefer the type that have the full cup open, not the little hole that your boob has to squeeze out of .

I also didn't like the playtex ones too tight.

Only downfall onthe bravado is that it doesn't have much support, it's kinda like a nighttime bra. I have some cheapo ones from motherhood that work well. Again, they get stretched and worn tothe nevers, so find a COMFY one! Motherwear catalog has LOTS!

I had a hard time with nursing shirts, especially cotton ones...they always stretched the bottom layer from the top. I prefer a tshirt (maternity right now) and a nice blazer . It's covered up in case of leaks. Oh, black tops cover leaks better too! Try dropping water on a shirt, that's what it'll look like in public!

Also, I couldn't use cloth breast pads, too heavy letdown and too itchy. Johnson and Johnson are hard t find ,but absorbant and nice fitting.

GOOD LUCK!
OTMOM is offline   Reply With Quote