Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Beyond infancy breastfeeding ???

Here's an interesting statistic for you: the average age of weaning for the rest of the world is 4! Unfortunately, this country thinks that once a baby gets teeth, that should be plenty and it's time for that baby to "grow up". How sad. My first self-weaned at 18mos (right about when I got pg w/ my 2nd), and at 17months, my 2nd is still going strong, and I'm pretty sure she'll make it to 2. She really *needs* it, much more than my independent first one did (who really only wanted it for food, never for comfort). It is such a great feeling to sustain your baby/toddler/child both physically and emotionally.

Advertisement

kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #12
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Whatever you did for your son was wonderful. I know it is difficult to go back to work and have to pump. My pumping situation was the ideal, though, so I was lucky enough to make it work. My DS self weaned at 18 months. He slowly tapered off and then finally I made the last break, but he didn't even miss it and never asked again until his little sister was born (he was 4.5, and even then I told him he could have some in a cup, which he quickly said, "no thanks" to and ran off into the other room. I think he was testing me to see if I still loved him enough for mamma's milk. I know some say that you should still nurse your toddler after they have weaned if they ask, but I felt a little weird about it with my preschooler, and like I said, I think he was just testing me. Anyway, this little girl shows NO SIGNS of weaning anytime soon. I just look at it as a developmental milestone, like crawling, walking, talking, etc. You can't force them (or shouldn't force them) to do something that they are not developmentally ready for. You and your baby will know when he/she is ready. And believe me it is a bittersweet day. I couldn't believe my son weaned when he did. I'll let you know if we are still nursing this one at two...
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:37 PM   #13
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Here's an interesting statistic for you: the average age of weaning for the rest of the world is 4! Unfortunately, this country thinks that once a baby gets teeth, that should be plenty and it's time for that baby to "grow up". How sad. My first self-weaned at 18mos (right about when I got pg w/ my 2nd), and at 17months, my 2nd is still going strong, and I'm pretty sure she'll make it to 2. She really *needs* it, much more than my independent first one did (who really only wanted it for food, never for comfort). It is such a great feeling to sustain your baby/toddler/child both physically and emotionally.
wow, that's really interesting to know. I don't understand how America has somehow made a beautiful thing (nursing) into an uncomfortable thing. I really feel it's more woman then men who turned it into something it shouldn't have been turned into.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #14
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marelle4381 View Post
I did want to mention that I did breasfeed my son until I had to return to work. I tried pumping and couldn't get even half and ounce before the milk would stop flowing. My nipples would swell so bad when I tried to pump that they would actually bleed. I had no problems nursing him, I had problems with pumping.
Ugh. I can't imagine! I hate pumping. I'm fortunate that I don't have to pump; if I did, I can honestly say that I don't know that I would breastfeed. I'm a horrible pumper, too--never more than 2 ounces (and that was the high end!)
Old 11-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #15
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I haven't read the other responses yet so please forgive me if I am repeating what others have said.

I felt the same way about extended nursing a long time ago. It certainly wasn't something "for me". I was all about "if they are old enough to talk then they shouldn't be nursing". Well, I slapped myself in the face with that one because my daughter speaks in full sentences and she is still nursing. She is 23 months and doesn't show any signs of being ready to wean.

For me it was learning what my daughter needed through her. She has taught me so many things and opened my eyes to many subjects that I was against before.

A good book that helped me realize the importance was "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" it is an LLL book. I really recommend reading that book.

There are so many benefits to nursing a toddler but the real reason I do it is because my daughter still needs to. Not in a "need" for nutritional reasons but a need for emotional reasons, etc. IF I was having a really hard time and didn't want to nurse anymore than I would wean her but that isn't the case so we will both keep nursing until one of us doesn't want to anymore.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #16
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

I always knew I would nurse my children till the self weaned. There is a long line of happy mommy's and baby's in my family. I like the fact that the antibodies are still available to my toddler. When her sis got pneumonia and strep throat a couple months ago she only got very lightly ill. The comfort is so important too. But the important thing is that you bf as long as you can. If its just a few weeks then wtg, if its longer than its still so very very worth it!
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:25 PM   #17
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bf ds still and he is 2.5. I can;t imagine waking up one day and saying yesterday you were young enought to nurse but today you are too old. I too believe in child led weaning. He only bfings for a min ever day once a day. Sometimes its 3 days inbetween. The nutrional aspect is there but for him I think its more emotional. He needs extra comfort with all the big changes going on.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #18
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

I don't have any advise about this but I just love bonding with Noah so that is why I continue his night feeding!

However, You might need a bigger falang (spelling) that is the cup that goes over your breast and nipple, I was told that I need the 30 mm ones because I apparently have larger nipples. I had the very same problem, I nurse great but pumping was a BIG problem hurt like heck!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #19
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I dont have any facts or anything like that - but I will say I weaned my DD at 15 months (3 mo. ago) and I regret it so so so so much - even though she does sleep through the night now and before she would wake up at 2-3 am for a feeding.

I am definitley very bonded with her - but I really miss the closeness of it all. The fact that she wanted/needed ME and only ME was really important and of course made me feel good. Now, she is very independent and I can leave she doesnt care LOL

With the next I will definitley be following the child in the weaning process. DD was super easy to wean (it took all of 2 days if that and I was in no discomfort at all) so it wasnt that bad for her. She could care less about her "nursies" but even now I still get sad about her not nursing anymore.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #20
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

I am still nursing my 20 month old at least 4 times a day and I can't imagine telling him he can't have his "NeeNahs" any longer. For him, it is for comfort and that is also his special time with me. He doesn't "have" to nurse - he goes to preschool 2 days a week, and though I am down the hall from him, he doesn't ask to nurse or anything. We only nurse at home now unless it is a big emergency.

I don't know what to tell you as far as a "reason." I just hoped and prayed I would make it 12 months this time (my DD was weaned at 7 months). When I hit that mark, I just quit worrying about it and kept nursing him. My mom teases me all the time (good natured) that he is going to call me from the principal's office so he can nurse. I just shrug my shoulders and tell her it isn't her decision to make!

All in all, child-led weaning works for us. It does not work for everyone.