Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
earthmama23
Registered Users

My Mood:
Breastfeeding and Cloth diapering in Mexico

We are considering coming to Mexico from the US for at least 6 months. I use FB and am not sure how easy it is to get them washed. Are there public laundry mats? I really am not wanting to have to use sposies. What do you mama's living in Mexico do to get them washed?
Also what are the customs for breastfeeding in public? Is it acceptable? My babe is going to be a year when we are planning on going. Any advise will be welcomed. We are thinking about going to Oaxaca.
Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding and Cloth diapering in Mexico

it really depends where. you mention Oaxaca, but that's pretty vague.
if you're in a city they've got laundromats. the selection in detergent is different, not sure if they have something that would work with your diapers.
if you're not close to a laundromat, you could get a washer and/or handwash

as for bf'ing, that really varies too. my mom's from a capital city and she thinks it's embarrassing that I bf in public, esp. if I'm not covered up. But out in the rural areas it's so common that it's not a huge deal (although covering up might be more normal)
those are my
although I'm a Chicana living in the 'states
Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
earthmama23
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks. We are thinking about Oaxaca city. I have no intention of stopping breastfeeding. I just am wondering how discreat I should be.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
josesmama
Registered Users

I am Canadian but I now call Aguascalientes, Mexico home...we are right in the center of the country. Cloth diapering is not popular here but it is do-able. We have great laundrymats in Aguascalientes...and I am sure Oaxaca would have the same. Our water has an extremely high mineral content though so I would recommend bringing a magnet ball or water softener. The house that I rent came with a stone scrub board attached to a big concrete sink. I love it for scrubbing out the diapers...and we have a huge selection of laundry bar type soaps. I like Zote but there are plenty of others to try.

One word of advice...never leave your diapers unattended on the clothesline (and mine is on my roof with an 8 foot fence around it!). I made this mistake once and they all went missing. Thankfully I had only half my stash out there but still it was pretty disheartening. Good luck with your move and if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
josesmama is offline   Reply With Quote