Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
hikewithpig
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Feeling forced to wean by daycare

My little guy turns one at the end end of March and daycare wants to move him to the toddler room less than one week later. In order to move up he has to be walking, self-feeding, and using a sippy exclusively with cow's milk. I feel like they are rushing things. He has just started crawling and there is no way he will be walking by then. They said that it's okay if he's not walking, he'll learn really quick by watching the other kids and want to keep up. It seems like they are strict about the sippy and cow's milk but willing to fudge the 'rules' for walking. I intend to nurse him until he is one atleast, and he is very attached to the breast. But that just seems like a lot of adjustment for him to go through in less than a week, being weened off of the breast, introduced to cow's milk, and moved to a new room at daycare.

Is it possible that I can still nurse him at night and he drinks cow's milk from a sippy during the day? How will that impact my nursing him on my days off?

Also, sadly I am being switched to an evening shift at work ...just compounding his stressors because he won't be nursed to sleep at night starting at the end of this month.

Advertisement

hikewithpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Treighsie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feeling forced to wean by daycare

Take a deep breath.
I personally think nursing is uber-important, and he should not be weaned just because day care wants him drinking milk. I would not do it!!! Can you keep him in the (infant?) room for a while longer? Does he drink anything else that could be put in a cup? Will they give him BM?
**hugs**
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do not let them push you. If they want to move him they need to do it on your terms.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you send pumped milk now?
Have them put it into the sippy instead of the cows milk.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

daycare has NO right to push you on any of that.. except *maybe* the walking = toddler room thing .. you can't force your kid to self feed or learn to walk and you should not have to feed your child cow milk EVER.. what if he were allergic?

either way, if you did want to feed him cow milk you can still BF while he is home in the evenings .. lots of mamas stop pumping after 1 year and still BF while they are with their LO ..
Old 02-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Nathalie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is this the first time your LO will be in daycare?(Sorry,I might have missed that part of the post)
Daycare has no right to force you to wean your child-why would it matter to them if he still nurses at home? The only issue I could see is if he is used to nursing to sleep for naptime,when he will be in daycare.Talk with whoever is in charge of the center and find out if this is all truly necessary and why.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ditto the others, why can't he drink BM from a sippy? I have been sending DD BM for her sippy until this week she started rejecting it in favor of soy milk at DC...which surprised me since she rejects soy milk at home, in favor of the boob of course :lol:

I would ask if they'll give him BM in his sippy, if not then keep him in the infant room longer.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
hikewithpig
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Argh...they just called and said he was bitten not once but TWICE today! First time he's ever been bitten. Grrr. They will start offering BM in a sippy next week, but they insist that he must have whole milk in the toddler room. I will schedule a meeting with the administrator on Monday. I'm not sure what they would do if he were allergic to cow's milk...that's an excellent point to bring up. Who knows if he's allergic and we won't find out until he swicthes. Also, I don't want to switch him cold turkey, it could make him sick and then he may associate an icky tummy with that taste and we would be three steps backwards. I would rather gradually switch him from BM to cow's milk.

Thanks mama's all great things to bring up. I'm going to try and keep him in the nursery until atleast the end of the month. I waited on a waitlist to get in...so can other mamas! I don't want to rush my baby so that someone else can take his spot.
hikewithpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

it *is* whole milk.
whole, full-fat, human milk.
I would threaten to call the MEDIA ( daycare won't give babies mom's milk!!!!) if they won't back down, since $$ is where most people are hurting these days.....
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

It really doesn't sound like he is at all ready to be moved other than the fact that he is one. He is not walking or drinking cow's milk so even for their own rules, he is just not ready. I am suspicious that they are trying to bump him up early to make room for someone off the waiting list. I would stick to your guns and at least not move him until he is really walking. There is no sense in all the other kids walking and probably stepping on him while he is the only one crawling. Keep him with the younger kids so at least he can have his mommy milk and then when they make you, I guess you will have to follow their rules.....some people/places are very particular about bm and claim they don't have the facilities to store the bm and keep it separate from other kid's stuff and make sure the other kid's don't accidentally grab it from your son and drink it. If all the kids are drinking the same thing, then it is much easier for THEM even if it is not the best thing for your son or you. You know some other mom would freak out if her kid stole your son's sippy and took a swig of the good stuff....hee hee hee.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote