Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
luvmyfishies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Feeling forced to wean by daycare

I agree it sounds like they are trying to push him into the toddler room to "open" a space in the infant room.....

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

whole cows milk preferable to whole human milk? thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard, and if you strongly want to continue nursing, fight them. what i your kid were allergic to cows milk? would he not be allowed in the toddler room EVER because hes "different"? lmao.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
hikewithpig
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I talked with the ladies in his room this morning and they can't say that they disagree with him moving up, but they strongly encouraged me to talk with the director tonight before I pick him up.

Additionally I have to talk with his teacher's in this other room and introduce them to cloth diapers. The ladies in his room love his cute little cloth diapers, but the director had to be strong armed into allowing me to use them. I had to show her that the health department specifically allows them in their manual before she agreed to "try them out".

We love this day care and don't want to be problem parents, but part of our jobs as mamas is speaking out for our kiddos!
hikewithpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #14
nb342
Registered Users

My Mood:

OK, I haven't read any posts except the first, but that just infuriated me. They have absolutely no right to tell you that your child has to be on cow milk. It is no huge inconvenience to them to give YOUR child YOUR milk in a sippy cup. I would be so angry if anyone even made it sound like I HAD to wean my child from any breastmilk.

I think that you should speak to the person that runs the daycare, and see what they have to say about it. Make sure to remind them that you are the mother and they aren't equipped to decide what is best for him to eat and drink. They are there to assist you with caring for your child when you aren't there. Not to be the parents when you aren't there. Obviously, they need to be reminded that caring for children isn't about what's most convenient for them, but what is best for the children.
nb342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
Shaylee
Registered Users

IMO.....The cow's milk rule is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!
What about kids with allergies that drink soy milk or rice milk.
If you bring expressed BM in a clearly marked container, the staff should be able to pour it into a sippy for you.
No one can make you wean your child before you are ready.
Please let us know how this all works out.
Shaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know how it is from state to state, but in some states DC centers are required to offer certain things if it wishes to receive state aid for low income families. I know that was how the center was where I used to bring Connor. There they were even required to offer a certain amount per bottle to infants. Every time they thought Connor was acting hungry they'd heat up a certain amount depending on his age. 6 ounces for a 4-6 month old. So regardless if he just ate 6 ounces an hour prior, they'd heat up another and of course he'd eat 1 and stop and then they'd toss it. Oh was I ever furious when I found that out.

You know how they told me to get around it? I'd have to get a doctors note saying they could offer him less. That opens a whole 'nother can of worms (yeah because a doctor knows better than his own mom, right?!). Bring that possibility up to see if they'll budge around it.

It is pretty silly, but I don't think it is an all or nothing thing. Connor began drinking cow's milk at 1 but it definitely didn't replace mama milk, he still nurses like a champ and really doesn't drink milk much, maybe two cups a week? You definitely could give cows milk at DC and still nurse while at home.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
happymama&wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ridiculous! Just because he is turning 1 doesn't magically make him ready to be weaned! The 1yo rule is for formula fed babies, not BFing babies.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #18
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For one I think it is YOUR choice to switch to cow milk but thing that also need to be looked at are, Do they supply the milk or do you, and if they do is it organic? I have endometriosis and it feeds off of hormones and although I know my son will never have it we ONLY ONLY ONLY offer organic. Because of this we supply organic milk to daycare for our son and he still drinks something different than the other kids. I know a lot of people are grossed out by the possibility of their child drinking someone else's breastmilk but it is daycare's responsibility to keep kids away from each others drinks/food anyway. Just a thought. I weaned shortly after we moved to the toddler room, but this is the third daycare we have been in and it took us a long time to find somewhere we would be happy and we didn't pick the most expensive place we have tried. You will find resistance to new ideas from ignorant people. You just have to find the best way to teach each person about these needs. Good luck with this and let us know what happens.
meeshkasheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #19
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you want to still breastfeed then I'd say sorry to the day care and speak to someone higher. There's no reason for a parent to wean because they dont' want to put breastmilk in a sippy.

My nephew is allergic to cow's milk... he's 4.... would he be forced to be in the infant room still becasue he has rice milk? :shrug:
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #20
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If they refuse or keep this rule after you talk to them any chance we can get some phone numbers to make some "calls" inquiring about spots for 1 year olds who are breastfed
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote