Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Cloth4us
Registered Users

Snack idea w/ avocado?

Anyone have a good snack idea? I have an avocado, but I'm not sure what to eat it with it.

Advertisement

Cloth4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Snack idea w/ avocado?

My fave way to eat an avocado is with a little salt and maybe a spritz of lime juice. YUM! But it sounds like you're looking for a little more than that. I also like to spread it on sandwiches instead of butter or mayo. Guacamole is always good- just add salt, onion, lime, cilantro, and if you want, tomato and garlic, and enjoy.

OR you can be crazy and make chocolate pudding. Yeah, I know... it sounds insane, but it's actually quite delicious. My kids love this one- I put it in a crust made with nuts (cashews & macadamias), shredded unsweetened coconut, and dates and call it a chocolate cream pie. The boys love the reaction on people's faces when they tell them it's avocado. But the filling is so yum that we often skip the crust. I've also put this into small dixie cups with a stick and called them fudgecicles. So, without further adieu...
Chocolate Avocado Pudding:
2 tablespoons high quality cocoa powder
12 whole, raw cashews
1 large avocado
4 large medjool dates
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 pinch salt

Blend the cocoa, cashews, avocado, dates, vanilla, and salt together in a blender or food processor until creamy and smooth. Spoon filling into a mold or a freezeable bowl, or spread evenly into a pie or cake pan. Freeze until set, which will take about an hour for a thin (pie or cake pan) layer, or longer for thicker ones (I left the fudgecicles over night), and enjoy.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
TheQueenKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like them best just plain, but my DH likes to spear a slice of tomato and avocado at the same time and says its delicious.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Bright_Life_Toys
Registered Users
Formerly: Jwugrad
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like to dice them and put salt, pepper, cumin and lime juice on them.

Or make a quick pico with tomato, onion, lime juice, cilantro, S&P and add the avocado.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Cloth4us
Registered Users

Thanks! Can't wait to try the chocolate pudding. I ended up having it sliced with a few slices of chedder cheese on some freshly baked whole wheat bread-it was delicious.
Cloth4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
nks
Registered Users

My Mood:

you can always do avocado quesadillas!! yummy :]
nks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This has been my biggest craving.. Shrimp Ceviche Tostadas with Avocado

Make a salsa with Cilantro, onions, tomatoes (and jalapeno if you want) then add a few squirts of ketchup and a few drops of Valentina hotsauce, add some thawed cooked frozen shrimp ( roughly chop it) serve it on top of a ready made tostada, or fry a corn tortilla flat til crispy. Serve the shrimp mixture on top of the tortilla and top with sliced or diced avocado

Also, you can make a tuna melt and add avocado (just add it after you cook cause personally I think hot avocado is gross! )

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
nks
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardandolaluna View Post
This has been my biggest craving.. Shrimp Ceviche Tostadas with Avocado

Make a salsa with Cilantro, onions, tomatoes (and jalapeno if you want) then add a few squirts of ketchup and a few drops of Valentina hotsauce, add some thawed cooked frozen shrimp ( roughly chop it) serve it on top of a ready made tostada, or fry a corn tortilla flat til crispy. Serve the shrimp mixture on top of the tortilla and top with sliced or diced avocado

Also, you can make a tuna melt and add avocado (just add it after you cook cause personally I think hot avocado is gross! )

we make this all the time and it's yummy. you can also do it with fish.. we cook ours though and flake it. we sometimes eat it with saltines yummo!
nks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love avocados. I could eat them daily. I make a type of chicken wrap with a corn tortilla.

Bake a chicken breast with garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Dice it up and bake a corn tortilla (I use the smallest ones).

Spread avocado on corn tortilla. Add diced chicken breast. Layer with salad greens. Drizzle with more lemon juice. Enjoy!

I also make guacamole with some diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, and sea salt. Mash it all up. Then I cut wonton wrappers in half to make triangles, bake until crispy, and use those instead of salty chips. SoOo good.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
lmvanzee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Bacon Lettuce Tomato and Avacado sandwiches.... Pretty Much like it sounds... YUM...

I've also been known to just spread it on toast with a little salt and lime.
lmvanzee is offline   Reply With Quote