Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:
How do you have room for all??

Ok. I want to have another baby. We are TTC #4. However, I keep getting worried about where will the next baby fit in space wise. I have 3 bar stools at the bar for the 3 kids (the youngest doesn't sit up there yet), 4 bedrooms (for DH and I, and the 3 kids each have their own. Even in my mini-van, I have enough seats but it seems like it will be awkward with 2 carseats in the back. How do you fit all you children into your life?

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: How do you have room for all??

Honestly, all of those seem like rather minor concerns. You just make room somewhere or somehow. Kids can share rooms, you can arrange the carseats so you have the best ones in the back row, you can use the bar for snacks and the table for meals. We currently have 2 kids in one room, 2 kids in another and 3 in another. When this baby is born we will either have 3 girls in one room or we will do a bedroom shuffle to make room for another boy in a bedroom and give up the spare room/craft room. Other folks might convert a basement or attic space into another bedroom. If you feel that you have room in your family for one more child, the rest of the details will work themselves out.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
jessicalee
Registered Users
seller

By the looks of your siggy our kids will be simular in age, I have two teens and two toddlers.
We have the two youngest in the middle row with their carseats, the teens sit in the back row.
We went and got a 6-8 person dinning table, so guest can sit and eat too. We took out the little table/snack place in the eatin and put a kid friendly computer/art area in that space, this way as I'm cooking the kids can be with me and we can monitor the teens online activity more closely.
Currently the toddlers share a room and the teens dont, we have a game/sewing room now as well. Actually we are probably moving by the end of the year and hubby isnt sure a 5br is an option again so we might just double up the kids rooms next time around.
It all works out on its own once things fall into their own new groove, it was an adjustment for sure going from the 2 oldest all alone, then to having the 3rd as the only baby, boy oh boy then to add the little girl to the mix I'm still trying to get the hang of it.
jessicalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

I figured we could probably have the babies in the same room and leave the big kids in their separate rooms. I just don't know how well a toddler and a baby would do sleeping in the same room. Don't your kids wake each other up?

Oh and the car arrangement sounds like a good idea, but how did your big kids take it to being rearranged to sit in the back seat? I want another baby so our littlest will have a child her own age group to grow up with. My older kids are 2 years apart and have always been great friends and provide each other with such companionship. I just kinda dread telling my older kids when we get preggo with #4. (Assuming I can). They weren't thrilled when I told them about #3, although they love her now.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
jessicalee
Registered Users
seller

yeah my teens were like "what? another baby" but they love her.
yes the two little ones wake eachother up, arghhh, its really frustrating but hopefully they can each learn to sleep through the night at some point.
my teens love to sit in the back, this way they arent bothered by the babies and can get a few minutes of down time.
and we too wanted our 3rd to have a sibiling in the same age rage.
but we are also done now.
jessicalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Piece of cake!

We have eight children (seven living)... and 2.5 bedrooms. I say 2.5 because our bedroom is exactly big enough for a dresser, our bed, and a lamp table. With no room to walk on my side of the bed. It all works out!

We have actually CHOSEN this house (we rent) because it's out in the country and moved from a 4bdrm house in town.

Our table seats four. Um, yeah. It seats four and we purchased two bar stools that tuck beneath. That makes six. We have a Little Tykes table, that's two more kids. A high chair for the baby. DH is building us a big table with benches this summer out of recycled lumber, I'm SO excited, it will look fantastic in this big old farm kitchen.

All this to say, it's totally doable. The baby sleeps with us. Eventually she'll go up to the girl room. We do have big van. But I traded off my shiny new minivan three children ago for a big old 15 passenger. Lower payments and more room. When we did it at the dealership, WE actually got a check from them, lol.

You'll never, ever regret the trade-off of a bit less space for another little person. Ever. And, honestly, I think we Americans are the only ones who think we need THIS much space. I've seen one room huts hold more family members than I have and I didn't hear them say word one about space! Trust me, it'll work fine!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We have 5 kids. TTC #6. We have 6 bedrooms. One is ours, one is an office, one is the school room. The other 3 rooms are the kids rooms right now. My oldest 2 (11 and 12) have their own room, my 5 and 3 year old share a room and my 23 month old sleeps with us (she does have a crib in the 3 and 5 year olds room though)

When we finally get pregnant with #6, then the 2 older girls, go into the school room, and the 3 youngers will get their own rooms. That way we keep our office and still have space.

We are looking for a new car really soon that will seat 8 so that will help out. Right now we cant fit everyone in the car, but with DH working long hours we don't all get out together anyways.

Our kitchen table seats 8, and our dining room table seats 12, so we don't worry much there.

If we had less space we would still make it work, I wouldn't trade having a large family for anything.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 6 Kids. The baby is with us. DS2 and 3 share a room. DD1 and 2 share a room. DS1 has a room in the basement (His brother and he really don't get along. Personality clashes! One has Aspergers and a teen and the other is very head strong 9 year old!)

We drive a suburban. 1 car seat in the very back, the other on the center row and the bucket seat next to it. We have one seat belt free in the front seat. We rarely go anywhere all together because the older kids would rather stay home while I go shopping and such.

As for sharing rooms. I think it's good for them to learn to share. I did it with 3 brothers in one room. We lived in 2 bedrooms for about 9 years. Then when we moved I shared with my baby sister. It wasn't till I was 16 did I get my own room.

We are finishing off 2 bedrooms in the baement for my oldset 2. (Did I mention DS1 is living in an unfinished basement and loving it!) then we can move the baby, when she's old enough, in with DD2.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
mama_times5
Registered Users
Formerly: mama_times4
seller

My Mood:

We have five kids, three bdr house. Master, girls' and boys' rooms. The baby naps in his crib in the boys room but hasn't gradutated there quite yet for nights. Until he and his brother have the same sleeping schedule, he'll be in pack-n-play in the living room. Some day I imagine finishing the basement for the oldest two to share, especially if we have more kids.

Living space is far more important for us than lots of bedrooms. We don't keep/do a lot in the bedrooms...beds, clothes, a few books and one "set" of toys so there's something to do if I need to seperate siblings to keep peace. (currently train table in boys' room, doll house in girls' room)

Ours have become deep sleepers while sharing rooms, rarely disturbing eachother even if they are loud enough to wake us. We keep an early bedtime and allow some talking from beds for a while. It's like a slumber party every night. They LOVE it.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
vtmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It just seems to work out! I have 5 kids and sometimes I feel like we are playing musical bedrooms as the kids move around so much! For a while my oldest 2 (boys) couldn't stand eachother but now (13 & 11) they are best friends and share a room. Relationships change as the kids grow and change. We always have the baby (20 months) in bed with us and often have another one or two on the futon in our room-they just seem to like there.
vtmama is offline   Reply With Quote