Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Kimanalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Ugg!! When does this get better?

Ok, a bit of background; I've never successfully breastfed a baby. My other 2; well, DD was my first, I was young, and got scared when she wouldn't nurse, and gave her a bottle nearly every time we were unsuccessful. What I remember about DS was, he wanted me to be a pacifier, and he wouldn't really relieve me, so I gave up after 6 weeks.

So, new LO is about 5.5 weeks old. Lately, I've noticed more engorgement on one side than the other; I though I was favoring that side, so I tried to have her latch on more to the other side so it didn't dry up or whatever. She likes to use me as a pacifier, especially at night. If I nurse her on one side for more than 1 feeding, I get sore nipples.

I am still having the engorgement on my left side; like, I have to wake her up to nurse, cause I'm in so much pain. I don't have it that bad on the right side, but I do still have leaking on the right side. Is this the way its going to be? Do I find a "happy medium" with having the milk, but not the pain of so much? LIke, right now, all I want to do is nurse her on the left side, cause its soooo full and engorged. And after she nurses, I get relief; but when its time to nurse again, instead of being able to put her on the right side, I want to put her back on the left, cause its rock hard and lumpy and sore.

I hope this all made sense. Basically, I've never made it past this stage in BFing, so I don't know what to expect in a few weeks. I've always been told that after 6 weeks it gets better, but I've never made it that far.

Advertisement

Kimanalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ugg!! When does this get better?

You can totally nurse her soley from the left side, but only if you pump the right side to keep things flowing.
What may eventually happen is the left side then will also begin producing more because its getting 'more action'.
FWIW, I have issues w/ my left too and I dont know why. What you just typed sounds exctly like me in the begining. YES, it does get better. You just need to really work that stubborn breast!

What I find helps for me is to put a really warm wash rag on the sore breast, and you will see it all of a sudden begin to leak! You can massage it out to let some of the milk out, maybe even just bending over a sink enough to get relief, but not stimulating anything.
You can keep the warm rag on while nursing too, gently massaging it as well.
What kind of a bra do you use? You shouldnt be using underwire.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Kimanalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Its a nursing bra from the motherhood store; don't know what kind it is; its sort of like a sports bra; no underwire.

So, which one do you consider to be the stubborn one? LOL, cause I'm afraid I'm going to lack production in the right, and the left is like overproducing or something
Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think that the left one is stubborn (at least mine is lol ) because I can produce but it seems so hard to get the milk out and when I do, it seems like it 'deflates' faster than 'righty'.

You can still nurse on the right side, but perhaps nurse longer on the left side, until you get some relief, and then eventually drop a feeding from the left to even things out.
As long as you are still nursing or pumping from the right side, you wont lose production.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try not to favor the side that seems to be over producing. It WILL correct itself if you let it be and nurse each side equally. It just takes a few uncomfortable days to get to that point. If you keep putting babe to that side to get relief, it just continues the vicious cycle by producing more.

Also, be wary of putting heat on the over producing side or letting it express too much when you need a smidge of relief. I personally find that my over producing side is VERY sensitive to even this minimal stimulation. trying a little cool cloth relief or a cooled cabbage leaf helps give that side the hint to slow down a little.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
Kimanalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Could this possibly be mastitis? This thing is dripping more than a leaky faucet, and I'm pretty sure it never got this hard or full in the first week of my milk coming in. I'm in a lot of pain with not nursing on it every 3 hours
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
takasmom
Registered Users

just based on what you described in your OP it doesn't sound like mastitis now...you don't mention any general flu like symptoms and a fever. but i would try to even out offering from both sides so that your left breast can figure out what it's doing production-wise....
Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
momo5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am currently nursing baby #6 and I must say it always has its challenges in the beginning but if you can hang in there it gets sooo much better and is so worth it. It does get better and it may sound like a long time but not really but by 12 weeks everything just sort of magically balances. Then I worried with my first because I was not so full

I also have one that produces more than the other and I have a tendency to nurse it more because it gets so full, but I think that just perpetuates the problem. If you have a pump you could pump enough off to get comfortable. (I don't get anything off when I pump so it does not work for me ) Also, someone mentioned cabbage leaves, I keep them in the fridge and trade them out when they get warm oh that feels soooo good . But do not do this all the time it dryes the milk up just until you get a little relief.

Now on the mastitis question, you would know it feels like the worst case of flu ever. But you can get it if you leave your breast full for too long. If you do you can take garlic, echineacea and 500 mg of vit C 3 times a day to get rid of the infection and not have to deal with antibiotics which can lead to thrush.

It really is not bad just enjoy the time with your lo and the bonding and keep reminding yourself of what great you are doing your lo, of the really great benefit to your lo. Relax and rest while you nurse and let the one leak if it has too, I just hold a burp wrag on the side that is running down my belly

Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

if it was mastitis it would feel hot to the touch, would be pink and you would feel slightly feverish.

As to the other poster who said not to put heat, you can, but just dont do anything to encourage production- like pumping at the same time. You can certainly put a warm compress on it to massage out any lumps and lean over the sink to just let the milk drip out. You are stimulating any glands by doing so, so your body wont see it as a baby nursing.

How often are you nursing on your left vs your right? Maybe use it every other feeding, so that the production slows, but if you need to relieve yourself, then you need to. Take a tylenol to see if that helps too.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Kimanalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I am sort of sore in the body, but I think I have a sinus infection, so I didn't even mention that; I've had a sore throat for 2 weeks.

It is hot to the touch, but its not red/pink. Maybe a clogged duct then? Yesterday I was feeding her off of it every feeding; even if I nursed her on the right side, I would switch and still latch her on to the left to get some relief. I nursed her on it before bed last night, then when she woke up this morning, didn't, to try to stop "perpetuating the problem" so to speak, but I was in pain, and I swear I thought my boob was going to burst. She finally nursed on it this morning at around 7, so I went about 8 hours from last night to this morning not nursing on it. I let her nurse for a long time, and it relieved it, but its still larger than the other one, still feels hot and heavy, if that makes any sense.