Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
catilina
Registered Users
seller

newborn stash for big babies?

Okay, I have looked at all the newborn cloth diapering threads but still can't decide what to do! I need help!

I am due with my second in about 10 weeks. We didn't start using cloth with my son until he was 4 months old (and in Medium pockets) so I'm not sure what to do about the new baby. We plan to use disposables for the first few weeks (at least until the cord stump heals, and maybe a bit longer, depending on how soon I feel ready to tackle 2 kids' diaper laundry!). My son was almost 9 pounds at birth and then grew quickly (11 lbs 13 ozs at five weeks and 13 lbs 10 ozs at two months), so I am anticipating similar growth with this baby and I don't want to waste money on teeny tiny diapers... We plan to use prefolds and covers, with a few fitteds thrown in for middle-of-the-night changes/babysitters. I will probably be doing laundry every other day, but sometimes it will probably be every third day instead.

Here's what I have so far, tell me what you think I need to last me the first 4 months+, and what brands you recommend:

*1 dozen green edge infant prefolds (these measure about 11x13 fully shrunk)
*6 Kissaluv size 1 fitteds (older terrycloth style) - I just replaced the elastic in all of them and I think I stretched the legs too tight, so these will not fit as large a size range as they should
*2 NB size PUL Diaperaps covers
*5 S size PUL Diaperraps covers (I don't love Diaperaps but I got them super cheap. I will use them but prefer to have at least 3 other covers on hand that I will hopefully like better...)
*1 S size PUL Litewrap cover
*3-4 Sm/Med wool wraps/soakers (I got these handed down to me but still haven't quite gotten used to laundering wool, so I'm not sure how often I will actually use these with the new baby)
*4 C-size fleece Polarbabies covers
*Oh, and I also have a bunch of medium/large covers and about a dozen premium prefolds...

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul

Last edited by catilina; 02-27-2009 at 10:23 AM.
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: newborn stash for big babies?

I would get more prefolds. Either the GMD periwinkles or the GMD yellows. You have enough covers, but I think you need more diapers mixed in there especially since you want to wash every other day or every 3.
Maybe 1.5-2 more dozen? HTH!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDanae View Post
I would get more prefolds. Either the GMD periwinkles or the GMD yellows. You have enough covers, but I think you need more diapers mixed in there especially since you want to wash every other day or every 3.
Maybe 1.5-2 more dozen? HTH!
ditto!
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
catilina
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I had planned to get another dozen prefolds, but I can't decide which size. The yellow-edge GMDs are the same length as my green-edge, so I was thinking maybe about the periwinkle edge from GMD, or possibly some LLs. I keep vascillating between the two!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
thebrowns
Registered Users
seller

I am in the same boat. DS was 11 lbs at birth and 16 lbs at 4 months. I have a lot of premium prefolds, MEOS, BGOS, and FB mediums, and I think that the new baby will fit into most of those sooner than later. I think you have plenty to get started, and you can always add to your stash once the baby is here, especially since you plan to use sposies for the first few weeks. I am focusing on buying a few more things for DS, he can wear the bigger diapers and I can save the OS and smaller dipes for the new baby.