Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: Is co-sleeping that bad?

I've co-slept with all 3 of my kids so far. We moved DS into his own bed before the girls were born (21-22 months) and he's mostly still in there. Some mornings he'll crawl into bed with me and the girls. DH goes in and sleeps with him when he gets home from work. So they still c-sleep part of the time.

Advertisement

Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #12
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We co-sleep and wouldn't have it any other way. It started from just being lazy dh got sick of getting up at 2 am to bring dd to bed for me to nurse and I never wanted to get up to return her to her crib. (I have been blessed with 2 babies who don't poo at night requiring changes in the middle of the night) Now I understand the benefits of it and that makes it that much better.
somersocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #13
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've always co-slept with my little babies, once they start getting squirmy and inturrupt my sleep I start to transition them to their bed. I also try to keep naptime in the PNP/crib so they're not in a strange place one night, kwim? My mom & dh both tried to discourage co-sleeping sighting how dangerous it is and blablabla. Sorry, it was the most comfortable thing for me and my baby(ies) and I was able to get more than 45mins of solid sleep.

If/when you do transition, I'd highly recommend a swaddling blanket like the Miracle Blanket. Some babies fight it horribly but my son was in it from 2mos until almost 6mos and loved it. I had friends who's 8-9-10mo babies still were in a Miracle Blanket! LOL It gives them a snuggly warm feeling and you can also sleep with it for a few nights to get your scent on it.

Def. do what's best for you and your baby, if it feels right than that's what matters.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 PM   #14
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluciew View Post
After reading those articles now I feel so bad that I tried the CIO with him. I have noticed he's become more clingy to me since. I hope he can learn to trust me again.
He'll be okay. And I just wanted to point out that in that first article that talks about brain damage, they are referring to newborns, and your baby is much older than that.

And I don't think theres anything wrong with co-sleeping as long as you both are getting sleep. We co-slept for a long time until we moved and I didn't have a bed anymore. I just had a mattress on the floor and to keep from having killer pains in my legs I had to toss and turn, which kept DS up and screaming. (since he liked to stay latched on all night) Anyways, we did CIO for a couple days, and he's fine now. We "co-go", where he falls asleep with me and then I put him in his crib. He sleeps all night, is well tempered, and everythings great. So I wouldn't worry about anything if I were you. Everything will turn out okay.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #15
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Nope...Not to start a debate, but merely to state my OWN personal opinion here.....co-sleeping is the absolute best choice.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #16
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We cosleep with ds and he is 17 months old and it's the best thing ever. We use to do it like half of the night or whenever he woke up first, but it was just much easier to start with him in our bed and just have him stay there. I don't believe in CIO at ALL and I get crap from people for one him sleeping with us and two not CIO....but I don't care, b/c I know it's best for our babes. Trust me they won't WANT to sleep with you until they are in high school or anything.

Also the reason bfing is so easy laying down and the reason your milk production actually peaks at 3 am is b/c it's natural for your baby to sleep right next to you and nurse all night.....

Don't worry I am not worried about the transition, we will worry about it when we get there

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #17
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Absolutely not! Co-sleeping is great IMO. We still co-sleep even though DS has slept through the night since 2mo. He won't be moving to his own bed until HE decides to.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #18
grace134
Registered Users
seller

Nope! We do a crib/co-sleep hybrid. DS comes to bed at around 4am when he wakes up, and stays with us till the morning. I've always started him in his crib, and then taken him into our bed when he wakes up. I figure that way he'll associate his bed/room with sleep (so he can transition easily) and that way DH and I get a little "alone time"
Personally, I like having him in his crib for the first part of the night, and I also like snuggling with him in the morning. Plus I don't have the heart to let him cry it out. Most of my friends don't even have cribs though, and their babies are great too!
grace134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #19
tresal
Registered Users

We co-slept with our son from day one. He never slept in a crib (okay maybe once for 1/2 hr) I tried CIO once. He was so terrified for days that I would do it again. I never did. We lived with my in-laws at the time and they gave me so much crap for co-sleeping. He co-slept with us until he was 3 1/2.. about 3 weeks before his sister was born. I put a cot next to our bed and he stayed there until he was just over 4, then I graduated him to his bed in his room. He's done fine. No problems! Our daughter hasn't ever co-slept. She didn't like it and needed her own space. She hasn't really been much of a cuddler either (until very very recently) She's always preferred her own bed. Now they are both in the same room and they sleep 12-13 hrs a night.
I'm not sure what we'll do with this baby... I guess we'll play it by ear. Whatever the baby prefers.
It you are getting sleep and the baby is sleeping, go with it
Teresa
Old 11-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #20
happy2bhome
Registered Users

Thumbs up Re: Is co-sleeping that bad?

Co-sleeping has/does work well for us too.
happy2bhome is offline   Reply With Quote