Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 PM   #21
camomof5
Banned
seller

Re: Is co-sleeping that bad?

I hear it all the time, you are spoiling her, she needs to learn to sleep by herself, you are going to roll over on her and crush her. I think it is great! I have read up on it and it has so many benefits!

Advertisement

camomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:03 PM   #22
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

We do the hybrid crib/co sleep thing as well.

She starts the night off in her crib which I really like. She goes down without a fight, no crying, just lays down - she even LIKES to go to bed and be in her crib. She says "nights" and points to her crib and when I ask her "Do you want to go night night" she runs to her crib (which is our room) and gives me kisses and thats that.

Sometimes she will sleep until morning like 75% of the time - sometimes she wakes up at like 3, 4, 5 am and comes to bed with us until she is awake for the day.

However, she doesnt take naps in her crib anymore. Which is okay with me. I usually just nap with her and she naps in our bed w/no problems and she is old enough to get off the bed on her own.

I say if it works for you then by all means - go for it! Dont let anyone tell you what to do. Only you and your DC know what is best.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:05 PM   #23
jkelstaten
Registered Users

We've been on both sides.....

with DD#1 Dh made me let her CIO when she was about 9 months. It only lasted a couple nights and not excessive, pass out cause she's crying so hard crying either (I NEVER let it get to that). We didn't know any different. That was the advice we received and had no real support system. Now she is a wonderful 3 year who is emotionally secure and very confident.

with dd#2 she breastfed so me falling asleep while nursing is what started her on co-sleeping (though we didn't know it was an actual parenting method....). She went back and forth between our bed and hers for about a year. Then we made a big move and she ended up back in our bed for a few months. Then back to her bed (when we got a new one) and then she would climb out of her bed a couple times a night and come sleep with us. Now she sleeps with DD#1 on and for the most part they both sleep through the night on their own. (they are 3 1/2 and 2). The only have problems when DD#1 talks in her sleep a lot.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #24
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the other posts yet, so bear with me.

My daughter co-slept with us since birth. At about 4-5 months we started co-sleeping with her crib because we didn't have enough room in our queen size bed. I simply took one side off of the crib and lowered the mattress of her crib to be flush with our mattress. Then I attached it to our bed with bungee cords.

She slept in our room like that until about 19 months. When I say slept I mean that she'd start off in there and wiggle her way to me thoughout the night. Anyway at around 19 months or so we started to transition her to her room. First we put her mattress on the floor and when she'd wake up I would lay down on the floor (i put a bunch of body pillows on the floor next to her mattress) next to her and help her get back to sleep. If she really wanted up in the bed we'd let her. After about 2 weeks of this we moved her mattress into her room. She did just fine. I always stay with her until she falls asleep though (this can take a lot of patience). She is now 23 months and sleeps in her bed every night without a problem. If she walks into our room we just go to her bedroom to lay down together. After 6:00 am I pull her into bed with us if she comes in the room. If she asks to come into our bed before that I let her but most of the time she is just coming into the room to get me. I am so excited because for the last 3 weeks she has started to sleep through the night. She is asleep by 9 or so and doesn't wake up until around 6:30 to nurse and then she'll go back to sleep until 7:30 or 8:00.

Anyway, transitioning her to her own room was a very painless process for her and us. It took some patience and love and nights of me laying on the floor but it was totally worth it, in my opinion. I love that my daughter is not afraid of her room or the dark and doesn't fear going to bed. She actually tells me when she is tired and wants to go to bed. It is very cute.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:10 AM   #25
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS has co-slept with us since the day he was born. I gave birth to him in a birth center in a queen bed and they didn't offer anything else (not that I would've wanted it different). I have read a book called Good Nights : the happy parents guide to the family bed. By Dr. Jay Gordon....LOVE it, I reccomend getting it. Were going to let DS decided when he leaves....Like the PP said he wont be there untill he's in High school at least I hope not ....BTW one thing I've found being a new mother is you have to trust your instincts DON'T let anyone else tell you your wrong YOU know whats best for your baby and your family. GL
Old 12-01-2006, 05:52 AM   #26
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Cosleeping is the best thing! It is never wrong to do what your mother's instinct is telling you to do, and you have to do what is best for you and your family.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:31 AM   #27
LambyPants
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love co-sleeping!! In fact, one night I had my back to Baby Apollo and I woke up to him moving around. I figured he'd let me know when he was ready for a booby. Well a couple seconds later he grabbed a handful of my skin and just dug the crap out of me!! I spun around to figure out what the heck?!!! And his blankie was covering his face!! He couldn't breathe!!! If he had been in his crib like everyone keeps telling me he should be, Apollo wouldn't be here now. He would have suffocated if he wasn't right there next to me and able to grab me the way he did!!

I had one crackpot tell me babies like the smell of their breath and that's why they snuggle up close and the snuggling causes suffocation. I'm like and how many babies did you interview for you to figure out that's why they snuggle to their parents. I must be stupid cuz I figured it was because they LOVED US?!!!

Last edited by LambyPants; 12-01-2006 at 06:38 AM. Reason: spelling...LOL
LambyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:47 AM   #28
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I might be the only one with a contrasting opinion here. Well-sort of. My dd has coslept with us pretty much since birth. She fell off the bad a few times -fist at 4 months (she is now 4). That was very scary. Once she was an older infant/toddler I wasnt as parranoid. We coslept because I am a parranoid person. I was always worried that someone would break into the house and she'd be at the opposite end of the house . Now we have moved into a townhouse, so Im not so worried. BUT, she has a really hard time transitioning into her bed. Now, I have ds, who is 7 months. If I need to nurse him in the middle of the night, I lay him in the bed. DD sneeks into our bed at night. So I have crazy 6'5" DH flopping around, DD kicking everyone (including DS), Little DS wallowing around, Myself trying to sleep lightly so I know if anyone is falling off/getting smushed, and our fat kitty Mr. Bear. THIS IS ALL IN MY WIERD ROUND BED. It doesnt work for us, but I dont know what to do about it
Old 12-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #29
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionnecherub View Post
I am a parranoid person. I was always worried that someone would break into the house and she'd be at the opposite end of the house
Wow, I always think that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd much rather have them with me in case something happened!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #30
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm paranoid too, but my fear is fire. I remember when Kearnan was a tiny baby I was at an LLL meeting. One of the mom's was collecting for a friend whose 4 mon old was in the hospital. It seems during the night there was a spark from an outlet in the nursery and the fire climbed the wallpaper until the paper curled off of the wall and down into the crib and onto the baby. The parents woke to hear their baby wailing and the smoke detector going off. The poor baby was badly burned. I don't know what happened to her in the end, I missed a few meetings and felt it would be prying to ask. But that strengthened my resolve to let the kids sleep with us as long as they needed to. Kearnan is 5.5 now and still in our bed, but he also has special needs so I know it will probably take him longer to move out than it might other children. Tharen is 1yr old today and also still happily in our bed. Maybe they will room share when they are ready to move out.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote