Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #31
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Is co-sleeping that bad?

We co-sleep and I think that you can transition them to their beds gently. We haven't tried really hard. We like it. You know how I got the IL's off my back????? I didn't tell them. What is it their business anyway?

Misti- Mommy to my smart, HSed, BFed, PLed, healthy eating, 4 year old Mamma's boy.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #32
Registered Users
My Mood:

What gets me is that so many family members get so concerned over sleep arrangements that have nothing to do with them!

Anyway, we cosleep--yes. We use all the safety precautions recommended and I love it. When I was pregnant, I never thought I'd cosleep--but, then again, I never thought I'd breastfeed while being pregnant, either, but it happened. To me, cosleeping really helps me stay in tune with my child and his feelings/behaviors. I've also learned a great deal of patience--how to adjust my sleeping attitudes and enjoy my baby, even when I'm sleepy.
Ladonna, AP mama to two sweet boys and one girl on the way!
Samuel (5), Gabriel (3), Jewell (due this month)
ISO: Newborn prefolds/covers
LadonnaKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #33
Registered Users
My Mood:

We have co-slept with all the kids. Never regretted it except when barfed on by a sick baby, but that probably would have happened anyhow.
Andrea, mom to 5. Libby is here! 11-03, 12lbs 13oz!
Old ds feedback: http://<br /> http://www.kikifoxito...p?topic=4351.0
Only here for the diapers, no drama for me
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #34
Formerly: Boomer
My Mood:

I've coslept with all my kids. Alisa left our bed for her own room when she was almost 5 years old. Kieran left our bed but stayed in our room when she was about 2 1/2 years old, then she left our room for her own just before she turned 4 years old. Aydin is 21 months old and in our bed. We are beginning to transition him to a toddler bed in our room. Asher is 2 months old and of course in our bed. I love it!
A real woman always has a clean house, an empty laundry basket, smells good, is well made-up, slim, healthy, eloquent, and perfectly well behaved...I suspect I am a man.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:55 PM   #35
Registered Users
My Mood:

We have Lily's crib in our room, 3 feet from our bed. We put her in it around 9 when she falls asleep, and she does like her own space then, but when she wakes up to eat,( 3 am? 5 am? etc) afterward, I pull her into bed with us. We plan on totally co-sleeping when she is a little bigger b/c DH is nervous about it now, though in favor of it theoretically ( he is a HEAVY sleeper). Lily is fine with either arrangement, it seems. We will not EVER do the CIO thing, I can't imagine that working for our family at all....we tried the sidecar co-sleeper thing too, but our bed is too high so we gave it away...LOL
loving life with DH Andrew and WAHM to Lily, 8/1/06 I make jewelry, organic flaxseed hot/cold pads and eye pillows, organic bath salts and I love to trade. ISO XL or toddler sized Luke's Drawers size 18-24 mos Robeez in any condition.
redhotmavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #36
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea View Post
I think you sould do whatever works for your family and gets you both some rest! Nevermind what everyone else thinks

We have a small crib in our bedroom that DD goes to sleep in every night... she is a very indepentant sleeper & has been this way since birth. She will not let me cuddle or rock her to sleep.
We wanted to co sleep from the beginning & still do about half the night. We just do what makes DD happy
Tia~ mom to 3 girls
tsk_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #37
Registered Users

Here's a link to an amazing article on co-sleeping

It's a little long. I printed it out to read it. Definately worth the read!
I make handpainted custom bowholders,ornaments, slate, and gifts for any occassion!!
ISO: Paypal!! I have tons of stuff FS Also ISO gift cards to "HOME" stores
haleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #38
Registered Users

another partime cosleeper. but we do it differently. I nurse dd to sleep then put her in her crib in her room. When dh comes to bed (2amish) he brings her in. he used to change her diaper so we are sometimes waking her up in the middle of the night. If I wait till she wakes herself up during the night, she wakes up 100% (and screams) and is hard to settle down. this way works much better for us. 5min and she's sleepy again.

My dogs sleep in our bed and I dont want them there alone w/dd so this is my soln. it also allows me to get a couple of hrs of sleep alone -if I'm asleep when dd gets there, I still sleep well. if I'm awake and try to fall asleep, it doesnt work as well.

What I've learned is not to discuss my parenting practices with those whose business it isnt. why does it matter to aunt sally where MY baby sleeps?? When the pedi asks how she sleeps at night, I say great. I dont volunteer info on where she sleeps or with whom.

We use a bed rail on our side and changed the mattress to a foam one that is very firm (and has a waterproof cover) my bed has no boxspring so its low to the ground and there is a dog bed strategicly placed next to both sides of the bed to ensure that if she does fall out, she will have a soft(ish) landing.
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #39
Registered Users

I co-sleep with both kids right now, ds is 2.5 and dd is 5 months. I cannot imagine not doing it. . . .but I think a lot of it stems from my childhood, from about 9 months on during nap time I would throw myself out of my crib, crawl to the door and cry until someone let me out, or if it was open, I would crawl around the house until I found someone! My dad worked the night shift, so I remember getting into bed with my mom from being a preschooler until I was 7 or 8. I honestly feel that if I wasn't separted from them as a baby, I wouldn't have been so insecure later on. JMHO though.

Good luck with your decision. . .and realize that some kids can transition out early, but others do want to stay until 3-4 years, so you have to take that into consideration.
eochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #40
Registered Users
My Mood:

I second/third etc all those who said cosleeping is great!!!

The first night we were home my Mom and I put Tobias to bed in his pack n play (at the foot of my bed). After my third time in 2 hours going to him I fell asleep in my bed with him in my arms, nursing. After that I was hooked. He has never slept (except for 2 short daytime naps) in it again.

We sleep great together, nursing is a breeze and we will continue indefinitely. So far my Mom lets it go... she's stopped bugging me lol. We'll see how long before she decides it's time for him to move. Whatever is what I say to that! :giggles:

Do what works for your babe. You're his Mom, trust yourself!
~crunchy AP Mama to Toad (he's 5!) and Frog (he's 3!) and Newt (he's 1!)
triscuitsmom is offline   Reply With Quote