Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #21
kyrae99
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: MALWARE is back! virus just tried to download on my computer!!

Okay I think I have figured out Anti-virius-1 is not legit... ugh!

SO I ran my Spybot it looks like it has found a bunch of Malware. I fund this too http://www.removal-instructions.com/...ntiVirus1.html of course this them trying to get us to to download their software. Hope this is resolved soon!

Advertisement

Baltic Amber Jewelry for The Whole Family- Become a fan on Facebook and enter to win FREE AMBER NECKLACE!!! My ISO List
Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 AM   #22
stephy4632
Licensed Knitter
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG is that whats going on with my internet grrrrrr
I spent all day yesterday fighting the darn thing popping up every 10seconds what a PITA
I have norton so I didn`t download anything just kept clicking it off but it kept comeing right back

so finnaly I gave up this morning and downloaded firefox and so far so good it dosen`t seem to be doing it now but I am really not use to this set up just yet E was much easier to use since it was all set just the way I like it but I guess I will get use to this in time just stinks that I had to kwim.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #23
Admin
Administrator ~The Tech Admin~
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We are looking at this now.. sorry for all the inconvenience! We hate it when this happens too because it's really difficult to troubleshoot!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #24
wesevanmom
Doo Doo a Da DA its all.....
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydaybaby View Post
let me guess. . . the best way to fix it is to pay for site supporter, right?

this seriously is absolutely ridiculous.
As you can see site supporters are and were hit by it. I switched from PC to mac so no more issues. But when I had the PC it was constantly getting attacked even with site support and Firefox.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #25
RoxyRocks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was attacked a few days ago.....

It said I had Trojans all over my computer I am just waiting for my laptop to crash this is the 3rd time I have gotten a virus from DS
Old 03-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #26
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Great. Now I got it too. I didn't get it on my own computer, but I used DH's a few days ago because our router was messed up and his is the one hooked directly to the internet. Earlier I saw a trojan warning on his screen and told hmi about it and he said, "I know, I've had it since Friday." I will bet you dollars to donuts that it came from here, since we have not caught a virus from anything in YEARS, and Friday was the day I was on DS on his computer. We have excellent virus protection so it must be a heck of a bug to get through all that! He can't get rid of it either, he has to reformat his whole hard drive. Nice.

I don't think I am going to come here anymore. I dont need diapers this bad to sacrifice my computer to this crap.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #27
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

mama's I did send this to the techs a couple days ago, as soon as any updates come up i will reply again if they don't get a chance.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #28
Lee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Closing thread for brief clean up of unrelated posts that provide no help to the members having a current problem or the possibility of one.

----------------------------

Clean up done - 53 posts deleted.

IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED THROUGH RESEARCH AND TESTING THAT DS IS CLEAN!

PLEASE NOTE: I am seeing a theme here as this is the second "flare up" of malware / virus issues that has been reported on DS. Through basic reasoning, I am going to take a few moments to explain what I see is taking place.

1. I have dealt with viruses on many occassions, but NONE ever "coming" from DS. I have visited this site MANY THOUSANDS of times and never seen what some of our members see.

2. While viruses are terrible, frustrating, and sneaky - there have been many things suggested in this thread that can help anyone (member of DS or not) to prevent malware infestation or viruses making their way on to your hard drive.

3. I have seen upwards of 2 dozen posts in this thread from people with no issues simply stirring the pot (those posts are now gone). It would seem that those who have a vendetta against DS are happy to jump on the "virus bandwagon" to "support" the frustrated members. That is not what this thread is for and all future posts of that nature will be deleted and you will receive a strike.

4. Some people obviously have an issue. I must say that I am not sure this comes via DS however. We cannot say that it definitely DOES NOT come through DS, but I am quite sure many of the complaints about malware / virus threats in this thread DID NOT originate with DS. I have personally cleaned up a church member's laptop that had a similar issue with the popups coming for an antivirus program that was a virus. They had never visited DS and never heard of it. You see viruses are all over the web. Just because you see a popup of a malware / virus threat while browsing DS does not mean it "came from DS".

5. Our company operates numerous online communities, using the same software, and working with the same ad networks. We have never had an issue like this on the other communities. This leads me to think the following:

a. Many of the mothers here at DS know very little about PC's, protecting them, and how to avoid the sneaky attacks. To these members I say: please do not automatically assume that DS is the cause of every problem.

b. We have some DS haters that add to threads like this when they aren't experiencing issues at all.

c. There are some truly affected members who are now confused and frustrated. I feel for these ladies and wish them much success in using the tools mentioned in this very thread (as I have done many times myself) so that they get their PC / laptop cleaned up and back to normal again.

In closing, the admin along with the ad networks continuously work to make sure evil people don't sneak naughty ads through the network that have malware or something nasty attached to them. I know a bad apple can OCCASIONALLY slip through the cracks, but that is very rare. If you download a free quality antivirus program liks AVG, that will go a long way towards keeping your PC virus free.

Last edited by Lee; 03-05-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #29
growbabygrow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Look I know you can get a virus from anywhere on the internet but the ad itself only showed up when I got onto DS. It was covering the the right side of my screen so I couldnt see what I was typing or use any smilies. I of course completely avoided it. It was on here for about two days. Then the next day my computer started doing the "download" to "fix" my computer. I got rid of it (I think). But the ad itself was only on DS. I cant remember what the ad was for but it had a animated woman on it.
Are any of the admin seeing this ad? When I left DS the ad was gone. Then when I got back on DS the ad came back.
Im not attacking Im trying to be helpful.

ETA: I have virus software. And not the free stuff.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #30
Lee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by growbabygrow View Post
Im not attacking Im trying to be helpful.
I completely see that.

What we all need to understand is that just because you see an ad on DS, it doesn't mean it is an ad from or through DS. I was helping a mama not to long ago who was seeing ads on naked men, well naked but covering their midsection with a hat or something. These were not through any ad network we work with, so upon investigation we found that it had to do with a malware infestation that didn't originate from DS. This particular malware enables these naked men ads to appear on all sorts of sites the infested PC browses. So many people are quick to point the finger at DS when:

1. they offer no proof, no screenshot, no evidence, no knowledgeable explanation to substantiate their "guess"

2. they aren't even sure what the problem is or where it came from
Closed Thread