Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Question Sleep issues with a 20 month old

So I am kind of new here but kind of not. I signed up last year and have bought some things and posted once in a while. I have been debating on whether or not to post my question but here it goes.

My youngest DD is 20 months. When she was born, she originally slept in her Pack N' Play bassinet next to our bed. When she was old enough to move around and it became dangerous to keep her in it though, we moved her in to my bed. I know, I know, our fault for not putting her in her own crib. I guess we kind of figured that she would be as easy as our 1st DD who we just put in her toddler bed one night and there she stayed. We guessed wrong. We started around Thanksgiving. We just put her in her crib one night, awake, and told her to go "nite, nite." She cried for about 15 seconds, layed down and went to sleep. She did that for about a month. Then she started screaming when we layed her down. Every night she would scream. That's when we started getting her to sleep and then putting her in her crib. She did that for about a month. Now, we can't get her to sleep in her crib at all. As soon as we lay her down, she screams. If by some miracle she doesn't scream, she wakes up a couple of hours later screaming. I mean screaming, not crying, screaming. I am normally all for the cry it out method but here is the hitch. She makes herself throw up. Once in a while, she actually cries until she pukes but most of the time, she sticks her little hand down her throat until she throws up. When she started this, we would clean her and the crib up and put her back in it. After about the 8th time in one night we gave up. Now she sleeps with us again and constantly wakes up. When we try to put her back in her crib she just cries and pukes. Somehow, we went backward I suppose. Now I am exhausted and just want my DD to sleep all night, in her crib. We are trying to get rid of the bottle and it was working during those couple months that she slept on her own but now that she is back with us she wakes up at least 4 times wanting her bottle. And if we tell her it is empty, she pukes. I know that I created this monster so you can really give me any advice, no matted how tough it is for me to hear. I am exhausted.

Ashley, wife to Chris and mommy to: Camille (7yrs), Addison (4yrs) and Easton (1yr)
*Ashley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Mommy to 2 special boys
My Mood:
Re: Sleep issues with a 20 month old

I wish I had advice. Our oldest was rocked to sleep until he was 2. When he started Kindergarten... I told him big boys had to sleep in their own beds. Even now it's a struggle. He's usually up at 6am, waking up 2-3 times a night.

The youngest, we give him his cup at 7pm, with about 2oz (literally) of water, tell him night night, kisses, tuck in (crib) and he lays right down and goes to sleep until 6:30am... and 10:30 on the week-ends... odd I know!

Try having a strict routine with her at night bath, PJs, book, kisses, bed. Or however you want to do it. Then after awhile she will know what to expect.
Eileen (28) Mommy to Jonathan Elijah (10-23-2003) & Alexander Thomas (02-16-2007). Girlfriend to Thomas Jason (33!) (Nine years together!!)
eileenAKAmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Sleep issues with a 20 month old

don't have any response for you mama just good luck! It must be so hard.
SAHM to K (11/03) and A(6/07) and new baby boy G (4/10) loving and
jpabruzzese is offline   Reply With Quote