Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
utvol3
Registered Users

My Mood:
finer points of making chicken stock

Tell me some of ya'll agree with me.
If I cook a chicken in the crock pot with no liquid it is no different than cooking it in the oven right?
I ask because my mom thinks if I cook it in the crock pot there is nothing left on the bones to make broth with. I cook it in there dry. There is maybe an inch of juice in the crock when it is done cooking which to me that is the same as pan drippings if you made it in the oven.
Also if you do make broth at home do you use some skin, no skin, all the skin?

Advertisement

utvol3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: finer points of making chicken stock

I make stock, so I'm probably useless. From what I understand broth is when you use meat, stock is when you use the bones.

I cook my chicken in the oven, but in a bowl (makes for wonderfully moist meat). Whatever drippings we don't use that meal get tossed in a pot along with the bones (picked clean, so no skin left) and simmered away for as long as I can. There's always plenty more gelatin in the bones to leech out - if I'm not careful to dilute it I end up with chicken jello after cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvol3 View Post
Tell me some of ya'll agree with me.
If I cook a chicken in the crock pot with no liquid it is no different than cooking it in the oven right?
I ask because my mom thinks if I cook it in the crock pot there is nothing left on the bones to make broth with. I cook it in there dry. There is maybe an inch of juice in the crock when it is done cooking which to me that is the same as pan drippings if you made it in the oven.
Also if you do make broth at home do you use some skin, no skin, all the skin?
wiredpsyche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
zachabbycole
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am wondering the same thing as you. I use the 1" of liquid in the crockpot to make a gravy. I am looking forward to seeing responses.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
utvol3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredpsyche View Post
I make stock, so I'm probably useless. From what I understand broth is when you use meat, stock is when you use the bones.
I guess what I make is stock then. We eat all the meat, it is so yummy in the crock pot, one of the few non nugget shaped chicken dishes my kids will eat!
So I did make stock the day I posted this. I used all the skin leftover and the stock seemed extra fatty, which I guess you could skim it off.
utvol3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

yes you can still make stock with the bones. I just add the carcass, whatever skin is left on it, stays on it LOL. After I cook it, I put it in the fridge and skim off the fat.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Then yeah, no problems there.

But I do think your Mom is right about broth, especially if there's no meat left!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvol3 View Post
I guess what I make is stock then. We eat all the meat, it is so yummy in the crock pot, one of the few non nugget shaped chicken dishes my kids will eat!
So I did make stock the day I posted this. I used all the skin leftover and the stock seemed extra fatty, which I guess you could skim it off.
wiredpsyche is online now   Reply With Quote