Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
NataschaN
Banned

Bread recipe for bread made by hand?

I am in need of some recipes for bread. The kind that you make the old fashioned way by hand.

We like to eat more firm breads with crunchy crust, but I am open to any kind of bread. I just want to be able to make our own bread fresh daily. Turning the good old pizza dough into flat bread or rolls is starting to get old after just a few days.

Thank you so much mama's!

Advertisement

NataschaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Nishu
Registered Users

Re: Bread recipe for bread made by hand?

This is the only recipe I've ever used. I'm not really talented and I consider it a miracle that I even got it to work.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/...han-you-think/
Nishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
phoofy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
This is the only recipe I've ever used. I'm not really talented and I consider it a miracle that I even got it to work.

This!

Really easy, even easier if you have a mixer.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
robeccajr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is my favorite. It is super easy. I use all-purpose flour, 2-3 tblsp honey instead of sugar and sometimes olive oil or butter in place of the veg oil.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
NataschaN
Banned

Thank you mama's!

Keep them coming. Anyone with some fancy stuff like rye with basil or something with sund dried tomatoes or onions? My mom used to make those awesome onion rolls with little bacon bits in them. Delicious!
NataschaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
donnamarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You asked for it... Here is my compiled list of bread recipes... If I had a link to the original website you'll see it...

Simple Bread Recipe

2 - T. dark brown sugar — packed

1½ to 1¾ - T. high quality Olive oil

12 - oz. filtered water* (I use Britta) * Microwave the water for 90 seconds and use it to rinse the oil from the Tablespoon as they are both added to the pan. I start with room-temp water.

1½ to 1¾- t. salt (Salt is pretty much the key to consistency as far as how much the loaf will rise.)

1 - cup Whole wheat flour

3 - cups enriched white flour

1¾ - t. dry yeast (I get it from Sam’s or Costco in the 2-lb. size and refrigerate it for year(s)) Might also be possible to use the yeast packets but they’d be more expensive.

Press the standard (default) bake button and let ‘er rip.

1. Note — on my machine (an Oster model 5821), it is necessary to scrape the small clumps of flour from the sides of the pan about 3 - 4 minutes into the start of the first mix cycle.
2. Note — for a softer crust, this loaf must sit undisturbed for about a three hour cool-down after the normal finish of the baking and cool-down cycle of the machine. I’ve even left it for several hours (like ’till you get home from work or overnight).
3. Note — this makes the world’s best toast.
4. Note — please don’t use margarine on this bread/toast - use Land ‘O Lakes butter, or it’s equivalent.
I call this my whole-wheat-light bread recipe and by default, it uses the normal white-bread bake cycle.”

*Schoolhouse Big Batch French Bread*
Start the night before and mix up:

3 1/2 c. flour (I use King Arthur bread flour from the grocery store)
3 pinches of yeast
2 c. cold water

in a very large bowl. Use a strong spoon and mix until it comes together in a shaggy lump. Good enough. Cover well with plastic wrap and leave it in a cool place in the kitchen overnight.

In the morning, mix in:

7 c. flour
2 T. + 1 1/4 t. yeast
2 1/4 c. cold water.

Stir this in with that sturdy spoon until it's pretty mixed. Don't mind the scraps stuck to the edges of the bowl.

Let rest for 20 minutes.

Take it out onto a clean work surface, unfloured, and sprinkle with 2 T. + 1 1/4 t. salt.
Start kneading the dough, and knead until it's smooth and supple and doesn't feel lumpy, dry, or too sticky. It will undergo textural changes--start looking for a feeling of finish around the eight minute mark. It's good for your arms! Gives you curves!

Change to a new, clean bowl that's been sprayed with Pam, and is also large, or wash out your first one and spray it. Plop the dough in, spray some plastic wrap with Pam, and cover nicely. Leave it to rise for 45 minutes. Note that all risings are done in a COOL PLACE.

Lightly flour your clean counter and turn the dough out. Very gently fold it over on itself, then turn it over and do it again. It will be so stylishly floury. Replace in bowl and let rise for 75 minutes.

Gently remove again onto the floured surface and cut it into halves with a sharp knife. Cut each half into quarters. Take each of the eight sections and very lightly shape into a ball. Leave on the counter all parked together, and loosely draped over with the plastic wrap. Let rest for 20 minutes.

Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper (my favorite!), or sprinkle with cornmeal. Shape each dough section into a baguette, trying not to deflate too much. Lay four loaves on each pan, cut diagonal slashes in the top of each loaf with a sharp knife, cover lightly with plastic wrap, still oiled, and let rise for 40 minutes.

At last, preheat the oven to 450. With relief, slide the pans in and bake for about 25 minutes. Go for deep golden-brown, and when they're done, make sure you butter the slice you treat yourself to!

http://pleasantviewschoolhouse.blogs...nch-bread.html

I made this yesterday in the breadmaking machine and it was great! Next time I'll bake it in the oven, I think the crust would be better if I baked it in the oven

Bread - Homestead recipe

1lb loaf

3/4 cup warm water
2 tbs. butter/margarine
2 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 cups bread flour (I use all purpose flour)
1 tsp. rapid or quick yeast

1 1/2 lb. loaf

1 cup warm water
2 1/2 tbs. butter/margarine
2 1/2 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 cups bread flour (again, I use all purpose)
1 1/2 tsp. rapid or quick yeast

The ingredients are listed in the way you'd add them to a bread machine, to make by hand I first mix the warm water and yeast. Then add sugar, butter, salt and then the flour and knead until the dough is smooth and "satiny." You may need to adjust the water/flour ratio, depending on air pressure and humidity. If you've made bread, you know what to look for, if you haven't - you want the dough to be soft and workable, but not sticky. Add a tablespoon of flour if too wet, or a tablespoon of water if too dry. And you want to knead it until it is smooth and has a satiny finish.

Cover and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size. Punch down, shape and put in greased bread pan. Let rise and bake in 350 oven for 50 minutes. If you take it out of the oven immediately and cover (pans and all) with a clean, thick towel until just warm, the crust comes out soft - and in cast iron pans, also chewy, yummy!

For the bread in the photo, I doubled the 1 1/2 lb. loaf recipe (double everything, but NOT the salt!) To be honest it rose a bit too much, I'm still adapting the recipe for these specific pans.

In the past, I have replaced part or all of the white flour with whole wheat flour and added gluten, and this recipe still comes out great! I've added 7 grain mix to the recipe..... added wheat germ..... used oil instead of butter.... and this recipe is *still* great! Very forgiving. The only part it *didn't* like, was the once I forgot to add the yeast when I was still making this in the bread machine. LOL.

You'll need to play with the 2nd rise time to get the size and density you like. Typically, I'll put the bread pans in the oven for the second rise, and set my oven to start in 20 minutes to 1/2 hour depending on how warm it is that day. My oven has an automatic oven setting, so the pans will be in there while the oven warms up, then it will bake the bread for 50 minutes and then start beeping when the 50 minutes are over.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/sho...d.php?t=189333

Flour Tortillas
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 TBs lard (you can use shortening)
1/2 to 3/4 cup of warm water

Mix the flour, salt and baking powder together. Mix the lard in until the mixture looks like cornmeal.
Add 1/2 cup of the water, (if more is needed, add 1 TBs at a time).
Add enough water to bring dough into a ball.
Let it rest 15 minutes.

Divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then roll out into a 7" round.
Fry on hot ungreased skillet or griddle for about 1 to 2 minutes per side, just until the tortilla starts to get light brown.

Store in plastic baggie to keep moist while frying the remaining tortillas.
These are so good hot off the griddle and slathered with butter.

Or use with your favorite recipes.

[URL="http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=189333"]

Pretzel Bread
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Ingredients:

1 package yeast (or 2 ¼ teaspoons)
1-½ cups of lukewarm water (105-110 degrees)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
3-4 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar and salt. Add flour half cup at a time. Mix dough and knead. Shape into rolls, pretzel shapes, or a braided loaf and place on greased baking sheet. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with coarse (pretzel) salt. Bake about 12 minutes for rolls and pretzels, and about 25-30 minutes for bread.

*With this recipe you do not need to allow dough to rise.

Pasted from <http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=189333>

No Kneed Bread
Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.
2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.
3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.
Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=1
I BLOG... Another New Season
donnamarie is offline   Reply With Quote