Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Mommi3130
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Momma's with 6 or more.

What do you drive? We have a Chevy Venture but it only seats 7, so we either drive seperate or have someone take one of the kids. We want something to fit everyone and possibly a few extra, we have extras quite a bit, and will probably be more often as the kids get older. So help me out here, I don't want something top heavy, with as icy as it gets here dh is afraid I will tip it if its to top heavy.

Advertisement

Mommi3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Momma's with 6 or more.

Well, we are going to have 7 come June and have been looking at the Chevy Express 12 passenger van. I'm not really looking forward to driving such a bus all over, but our only other option was a Yukon xl or Suburban and I wasn't about to climb over seats all the time to buckle kids in. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Hitchkids
Registered Users

We drive a Chevy 12 passenger van. Admittedly it is not that great on the ice but I honestly only have a problem with it in our driveway. The roads get cleared super quickly around here and I just make sure that we are well stocked up in the winter so I don't have to go out when the weather is bad.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
hockeywoman
Registered Users
seller

We currently have a Toyota Sienna, but are looking to get a 15 passenger van (and remove the last seat for more storage). We want a 2008 (well, until I lost my job anyway), because it has side curtain airbags. Our other musts are: stabilitrak, shoulder belts on all seats.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
TwinsMake9
Registered Users
seller

We had a Chevy venture as well and then went up to the 12 passenger Chevy Express van. I really love it too as its big and roomy. The downside is that you lose all the cool stuff from a small mini van...no power doors and such, pretty basic. The 12 passenger also has alot of storage behind the last seat thats awesome!!! I would also recomend the sliding door not the one that opens up....easier with kids and in parking lots where its smaller.

We now have moved up to the 15 passenger as we did not fit when we had our second set of twins. Its also a Chevy Express and both were 1 tons. Its a huge truck and we also pull our 32 foot camper with it. Its also great in the winter for us as we live in NY. I do however not like that it has not much space for storage/strollers behind the back seat in the 15 passenger.

Also....Check AutoTrader as thats where we found both of ours. They are hard to find used and we got a great deal on both and both were with dealers. You can only find white which is what we did not want so keep looking, you may find a great deal...be patient and if you have any questions PM me. Good Luck
Old 03-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have friends with seven like us. They got a 15 passenger. I didn't want a 15 passenger. I resisted. They spoke to my dh. Sneaky little buggers. What'd we end up with? A 15 passenger. I went from a little minivan to a HUGE old 15 passenger Dodge Ram. First, let it be said, they have HORRIBLE resale value. (A very good thing if you're buying used. LOL) We got a GREAT deal for it. One owner, previously a church. It had 50some (56?)K miles on it and cost just over 6K. They actually wrote US a check when we traded in our nice, shiny, new minivan for this old clunker, lol. But, Bessie Lou runs like a top. And I am NOW so glad we got a 15 passenger. For more reasons than just the fact that we used it as a truck to transport hay and livestock this winter, lol. But because the seats in the 12 and the 15 go ALL the way to the back. Everything you currently put in a trunk of behind the seat of your van you will no longer have room for and that includes groceries. And you will want to bite someone. :P So, I tell you, don't waste the effort on a 12. Skip straight to the 15. You'll always be able to find your van in a crowd. People will think you're a school. (No, not kidding.) We're actually considering putting Titus Academy on ours. Yes, wrong, I know, but funny. Plus, let's be honest. Do you really think you're going to stop with seven? Don't you know soft, sweet, cuddly babies and precocious two year olds are addicting? Heck, I was willing to get a short bus...

As to the logistics, we live in northern Iowa, so I'm right there with ya Mama! We just simply do not drive when there is a wind advisory or ice. We just don't. I've had to cancel dr. appts. before, but not too often. And I admit I'm a bad driver. I've backed into two people so far because I have no ability to "judge the size of my vehicle." But to be fair, both were in the first six months I had the van and I'm much better now.

And now that you're all glad you don't live near me, I've said my piece. I can tell you how to find a great deal on a van though.

Kelly aka SuperWheedler
Old 03-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
mama_times5
Registered Users
Formerly: mama_times4
seller

My Mood:

We only have 5 but due to a wheelchair we drive a 12 passenger Ford Econoline. There is a lift in place of the back bench and thus we have very little storage room. I agree with the pp and be getting a 15 passenger next time. I didn't think I'd EVER get used to driving this thing. I now like how high up I sit, but the visibility when backing up still concerns me.

Last edited by mama_times5; 03-06-2009 at 10:17 AM.
mama_times5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoman View Post
We currently have a Toyota Sienna, but are looking to get a 15 passenger van (and remove the last seat for more storage). We want a 2008 (well, until I lost my job anyway), because it has side curtain airbags. Our other musts are: stabilitrak, shoulder belts on all seats.
Sorry..don't mean to hijack but I didn't know the 08 have side curtain air bags. Was this the first year for those? Also from my research of Chevy, 08 is the first year for shoulder belts on all seats. Do you find that true as well? Thanks, Heidi
Old 03-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
hockeywoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiMarie View Post
Sorry..don't mean to hijack but I didn't know the 08 have side curtain air bags. Was this the first year for those? Also from my research of Chevy, 08 is the first year for shoulder belts on all seats. Do you find that true as well? Thanks, Heidi
The 08 is the first year for the side curtain airbags, all shoulder belts, tire pressure monitoring, stronger window glass. Now if we could only get headrests
Old 03-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

We drive a 12 passenger E350 with 8 kids. Honestly, I like my 12 passenger van. H does the grocery shopping without us in his truck so cargo space is not a big deal. There's plenty of space under feet instead. When they get bigger, we'll need a rack to attach to the outside instead.