Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
baby seems really gassy and uncomfortable...is it my fault?

my four month old toots here and there, nothing impressive, but at night she is SUPER fidgety like she's uncomfortable and sometimes when she's fidgeting and fussing she'll toot so we're wondering if she's uncomfortable from gas i eat a pretty varied diet and avoid spicy foods and acidic foods but i drink milk like it's going out of style of course i'll drop it if it's giving her tummy troubles, but do you think it would make any difference? i hate giving her gas drops because she always seems to poo so much the next day that she ends up with a rash and it stinks! also, she used to poop several times a day but now only goes once or twice a day or not at all some days...is that a sign of tummy troubles? any advice or input is GREATLY appreciated

Advertisement

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Monzie
Registered Users

Re: baby seems really gassy and uncomfortable...is it my fault?

As usual, Kellymom has a lot to say on this subject. Rather than paraphrasing too much, I'll just link to the info: Possible reasons for a gassy bf'ed baby.

You should know that there are very few things in your diet that can effect the composition of your breastmilk. The stories about spicy foods, garlic, onions, etc are mostly just old wives tales. However, soy and dairy protein are two things that can get into your milk and cause allergy symptoms. My kiddo was sensitive to dairy but gas was only one of many side-effects. He also got a characteristic rash on his bum when he pooped (a BIG red ring around his anus) and his eczema would flare up. I'm rather lactose intolerant too, so his sensitivity wasn't a big surprise. So I started using rice milk on my cereal and tried to limit my cheese intake and that solved the problem for us. But some moms need to be much more careful about avoiding all possible sources of dairy protein....food additives, certain types of vitamins, etc.

Last edited by Monzie; 03-07-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sorry to say that milk did make my lo gassy so that may be it...but it also may not. Do you nurse both sides each feeding? If yes, you could try just feeding from one side at a time because foremilk is more likely to cause gas than the hindmilk. And I second the advice to check out kellymom. I love that website...it is everything you need to know and more .

Good luck mama!
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cut out dairy when I was BFing and it worked like a charm.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the link i doubt she's allergic to milk because she hasn't exhibited any symptoms, but maybe just sensitive to the harder to digest proteins. she actually only nurses on one side at a time and for 5-7 minutes tops so she's either a pro or has a tiny tummy! (don't worry, she's growing great) man i was REALLY hoping i wouldn't have to give up milk but maybe i'll try it for a few days to see if it makes any difference. i guess this means milk cheese and all dairy, huh? SIGH...the things we do for our children... thanks for the info mamas

btw is rice milk any good?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not sure about rice milk, but i switched to soy milk (which should really just be called soy "juice" because it's not milk...they're not fooling anyone there) and it made things worse! So, really just a warning, soy is another food to avoid if you find your lo has a sensitive tummy.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh no! i nixed the idea of soy milk, my little brother was lactose intolerant so he had to drink it when we were kids and we weren't allowed to so i thought it would be a good idea to sneak a drink and lol i snagged a rice milk and an almond milk to try tomorrow so hopefully that will help fill my craving and make dd's tummy a happier place all at the same time!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
MayintheFall
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama- you may want to look into goat milk and goat/sheep cheese.. My lil one (3months) always would get really bad gas in the evening and throughout the night, and i was a newer veggetarian..and i LOVED my dairy..but as soon as i cut it out, all the uncomfortable gas and pooing vanished! (to my dismay ) I didn't want to be almost a vegan!! but i heard that goat milk it easier to digest- so far so good.. goat milk and cheese is great, and my dd is happy too!
MayintheFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oooh good to know! how does goat milk taste in reference to cow's milk? i'm all down with the goat cheese already, i LOVE that stuff! good to know i don't have to cut that out, i totally wouldn't have realized that

Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Yummy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My ds is like that too, he would wake up crying and then pass gas. I always wonder why is it always at night? while he also passes gas but seems happy during the day. I have cut out/minimize dairy and also soy, but have no luck. The thing with dairy is that it could take 6 weeks to clear it out of your system (that's what the pedi said). Hope it works out for you!
Yummy is offline   Reply With Quote