Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
My Mood:
So weird....

DS #2 child-led weaned sometime in January. Not exactly sure when it happened, just gradually he stopped asking to nurse before bed/nap. We did the don't offer/don't refuse deal. By Feb 1st, he was absolutely without-a-doubt weaned. Not even once in a month did he mention or motion to nurse.

Now, for the past few days, he is asking for "titty". It's not often, just when he first wakes up or goes to bed.

Let me say, I'm not obliging him. I would've been perfectly comfortable with him still nursing at this age (27 months) if it had been consecutive. But, he hasn't nursed in well over a month and I've finally dried up. He's not heart broken when I refuse, either. I'm just offering him milk/water and a hug and he whines and then gets over it.

So, any guesses on what is going on here? Anyone have anything similar happen? How long will it last? Why, all of a sudden, would he remember nursing? Is there anything magic I can say to him besides, "No titty, want water?" It isn't breaking his heart, but it sure is breaking mine!

abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: So weird....

Similar situation. DS was 26 months when he weaned. I asked him if he wanted nummies in the rocking chair, and he asked me to read him a book in bed instead. Anyway, he asked 2x after that to nurse, but I casually said "they" were tired. That was it. He was ok with that and never asked again. Now we have baby and he's 3 1/2. He asked to drink my milk once from a dixie cup : ) Thought it was delicious and asked for seconds, then hasn't asked about that again either.

They remember, but it's the closeness and cuddling that they prefer to keep.

It's hard, but it gets easier. The bonding continues.

massbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote