Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #141
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone else getting viruses while on this site?

Which ads are the ones causing the viruses? Is it the ad that's usually on the right of the page? The banner ads? Or, the little ones next to the forum listings?

If I become a site supporter, do the ads go away? I've been meaning to do that for awhile, but if it can prevent me from getting ads and still be on the site (I'm addicted), then I'd be happy to sign up!! Someone LMK!

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #142
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugaboo Bottoms View Post
I had Firefox with adblocker and was still getting them. Downloaded Adblocker PLUS last week and haven't had a problem with that (knock on wood).
This. You don't want adblock, you want adblock plus. You never even load the ads, so they can't cause you problems. Anyone having virus issues, stop using IE, download firefox and use adblock plus.

Internet explorer is such a joke. I had to use it a couple of months ago to download a beta version of a new version of windows. I ONLY had it open for 2 hours to download the software, that was the ONLY software I downloaded, directly from Microsoft, and the download page was the only one I visited with IE, and by the end of 2 hours I had a virus infection so bad I had to completely wipe and reformat my hard drive to get rid of it, and then do the same for each computer on my network (4 machines in all - took me two days of work). I can't begin to tell you how much I hate that piece of software.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #143
HippieMamaJen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just spent 2 1/2 hours removing spyware 2009 that was from DS
Old 03-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #144
HippieMamaJen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
This. You don't want adblock, you want adblock plus. You never even load the ads, so they can't cause you problems. Anyone having virus issues, stop using IE, download firefox and use adblock plus.
TY for your help I just followed these instructions and removed IE from my computer.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #145
newphillymomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
This issue seemed to die down almost to a screeching halt when we made our last changes with the banning of a crummy ad that was displaying on DS. But now we have new complaints rolling in. I want you to know the following:

1. I am sorry. I know this affects users, it is frustrating, and it makes DS looks bad. We are in talks now about how to handle certain ad networks going forward. We know we need to find a "once and for all solution" and it is something we had thought we found a few times but apparently not.

2. The comment I made in the prior flare up of complaints was never meant to demean any mama / member of DS. It is a shame that to some it came off that way. I was simply relating to many of the mamas that I communicate with when they have questions / issues as I know their frustration with PC's at times. Even the best PC user has periods of frustration with the lovely technology.

3. I am 100% committed to fix this issue once and for all.

Thanks for reading and please continue posting up screenshots of anything related to virus / malware issues that will help us in this endeavor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
We are really trying. This is the most difficult thing I have ever had to deal with on a website. We ARE working on this and hope to have some updates soon.
Keep up the good work. Sometimes people don't realize the hard work going on behind the scene.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #146
Carly's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought I was safe with Firefox and Adblocker Plus and multiple anti-virus software. But my computer started acting up, got really slow. I'm pretty computer literate (I build them, fix them, etc) so I went thru the usual routine of cleaning and checking with my normal sources for anti-virus, registry cleaners, etc. None of them found anything wrong, yet I was still having issues. I did some online research, based in part because of a post on a different board I'm on, because the poster was not getting any help here. In the midst of that research, I came across www.malwarebytes.com and downloaded and ran that program (free) and found 15 items on my computer.

I can't pinpoint the problems on DS, yet many of the "unwanteds" were the same/similar to what I have seen on screenshots here.

I come here very rarely to keep up with the military coupon train. I'll be trying to conduct most of that now thru email (see siggy) and have found a new internet home that doesn't use external ads like here. I've not had any problems when I'm visiting them exclusively. It's only after coming to DS. :shrug:

Thanx for being a great place to start tho. You were wonderful while you were clean.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #147
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

i ran malwarebytes on my desktop and it found 330 infected intems!!!!!! it couldnt get rid of them all, so i still need to have h mess with it, but wow! thats crazy

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #148
TuthGuru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i am going to turn my laptop into our computer support office tomorrow at work so that for the THIRD time they can reimage my computer and get rid of the the rogue malware/spyware virus from DS.

this makes me sad, but after my computer is cleaned up tomorrow i am going to TRY to refrain from visiting here. each time i turn my computer in for repair, i am computer-less for at elast 24 hours and i just can't afford that with my job.

i wish i understood what the problem is and when it will be better.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #149
Rainshine Designs
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
The techs are working on the problems and things should be fixed soon.
Update??? That was 3 days ago. There's talk all over my Yahoo groups that no-one will come here aymore so sad! I love it here!

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #150
Frichmeier
Registered Users

My Mood:

Glad to know I'm not the only one! My dh was pretty upset and thought my laptop was ruined - he figured it was from downloading coupons, but I didn't think I had clicked on anything wrong - how was I suposed to know the virus was lurking here? Really disapointing. Thankfully dh was able to completely clean my laptop and get everything updated on it. Guess I'll have to be more cautious now.
Closed Thread