Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Re: Anyone else getting viruses while on this site?

I had it happen once last week. I ran a scan on my computer with my McAffee security and thankfully nothing came up.
I'm definitely going to be very careful and use ctrl alt delete to get out of it if that stuff ever pops up again.

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Avasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

It happend to me saturday, freaked me out and then when I tried to visit today I got a message that it was happening again today! I am not too happy about it!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This has happened to me twice during the past weekend. My antivirus catches it, but it is a little unnerving.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #14
KnitterBug Creations
TJsmommy is my *old* DS name
seller

My Mood:

i have seen numerous other posts lately about this same thing. DS keeps swearing up and down that its not coming from DS...but it seems like it is.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #15
mlhmrsdds
Registered
seller

My Mood:

for sure it is coming from DS, I think it is in one of their ads on here though, because it seems to happen when I scroll off the message accidentally or something. It closes out the page and then run the fake virus scan.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
granolamamaof6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It just happened to me for the first time!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
jessamomof4
Registered Users

My Mood:

yeah it would be one of the paid ads doing it... someone purchased an ad through whatever service it is DS uses to display ads, and its infected... I had this happen the other day too
Money Saving Mainers - I'm learning to save and sharing what I learn.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #18
ourfamilyof5
Registered Users
Formerly: jaydenandsethsmommy
seller

My Mood:

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! So fusterating! We have spyware but what comes up is not what we have! I have to be very careful, I tell my husband & then he does his scans, etc. to make sure we are ok!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

I am no computer expert but I know that it happens to me here a lot too. I've had my brother over to "fix" it a couple of times. He said whatever it is (he has a word that idk lol) it is linked to this page and can and will continue to happen. Hmm you'd think that there'd be a way for the site to get rid of it... But then again I'm a nurse, you need help with health care I'm there for you... computers... not so much lol
Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #20
robeccajr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For those that have not read the other thread

From Lee:
Closing thread for brief clean up of unrelated posts that provide no help to the members having a current problem or the possibility of one.

----------------------------

Clean up done - 53 posts deleted.

IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED THROUGH RESEARCH AND TESTING THAT DS IS CLEAN!

PLEASE NOTE: I am seeing a theme here as this is the second "flare up" of malware / virus issues that has been reported on DS. Through basic reasoning, I am going to take a few moments to explain what I see is taking place.

1. I have dealt with viruses on many occassions, but NONE ever "coming" from DS. I have visited this site MANY THOUSANDS of times and never seen what some of our members see.

2. While viruses are terrible, frustrating, and sneaky - there have been many things suggested in this thread that can help anyone (member of DS or not) to prevent malware infestation or viruses making their way on to your hard drive.

3. I have seen upwards of 2 dozen posts in this thread from people with no issues simply stirring the pot (those posts are now gone). It would seem that those who have a vendetta against DS are happy to jump on the "virus bandwagon" to "support" the frustrated members. That is not what this thread is for and all future posts of that nature will be deleted and you will receive a strike.

4. Some people obviously have an issue. I must say that I am not sure this comes via DS however. We cannot say that it definitely DOES NOT come through DS, but I am quite sure many of the complaints about malware / virus threats in this thread DID NOT originate with DS. I have personally cleaned up a church member's laptop that had a similar issue with the popups coming for an antivirus program that was a virus. They had never visited DS and never heard of it. You see viruses are all over the web. Just because you see a popup of a malware / virus threat while browsing DS does not mean it "came from DS".

5. Our company operates numerous online communities, using the same software, and working with the same ad networks. We have never had an issue like this on the other communities. This leads me to think the following:

a. Many of the mothers here at DS know very little about PC's, protecting them, and how to avoid the sneaky attacks. To these members I say: please do not automatically assume that DS is the cause of every problem.

b. We have some DS haters that add to threads like this when they aren't experiencing issues at all.

c. There are some truly affected members who are now confused and frustrated. I feel for these ladies and wish them much success in using the tools mentioned in this very thread (as I have done many times myself) so that they get their PC / laptop cleaned up and back to normal again.

In closing, the admin along with the ad networks continuously work to make sure evil people don't sneak naughty ads through the network that have malware or something nasty attached to them. I know a bad apple can OCCASIONALLY slip through the cracks, but that is very rare. If you download a free quality antivirus program liks AVG, that will go a long way towards keeping your PC virus free.

There is LOTS of other useful info in the other thread regarding this. I know it is LONG but very worth reading.
Closed Thread