Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
scarlettmoon84
Banned

My Mood:
Unhappy Please help!!!

I am desperately needing to increase my milk production!! I have a 4 month old and when I go to feed her, she'll eat for about 5 minutes, pull off and cry and there's no milk coming out. There is at first, but not after about 5 minutes. In the night when I feed her, there seems to be more milk. I want to be able to feed her, and pump enough to build up a supply. But most importantly, I want to have enough to satisfy her. Every feeding usually ends with her crying. I think it's because she's still hungry. I have tried the Earth Angel Baby Mama Milkmaid Tea, but even after 2 to 3 cups of that a day, there's still no change. I've heard women talk about Mother Ease More Milk, but it's so expensive...I don't have enough $$ for that....I need something that WORKS!! Please help me!!

Ashley

Advertisement

scarlettmoon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
martimeCDnewbie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help!!!

Have you tried fenugreek...i've heard everyone talk about that. Oatmeal, LOTS of water help too. Its typical at night to have an increase in supply. I would keep her close to you and feed her as much as possible...more than normal even. Lie in bed for the weekend and just nurse nurse nurse! Pump in between to stimulate that may help you as well. thats all the tricks i know.

I had the same problem but i had to resort to taking domperidone which works like a charm. but its $$ if you don't have coverage and hard to get in the US ( i'm in canada) but you can get it online as well! I tried all the above and didn't work till the meds.

Good Luck mama..keep at it...i know it can be super frustrating. I was at 4 months when i was about to give up..and now we are at 9 going strong! It's totally worth it!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

pp had good suggestions. I have mother's milk tea, I think it helps a bit

here are some more tips, kellymom is such a great resource
http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com...eas/product/29

GL
Old 03-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Bright_Life_Toys
Registered Users
Formerly: Jwugrad
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second the fenugreek and pumping. I had supply issues in the very beginning, and drank the tea and took a bunch of fenugreek. I pumped after every feeding around the clock, and nursed her much more often.

I have 14 individually wrapped organic Mother's Milk tea bags that I can ship to you if you're interested. Just PM me.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
amykoysgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

fenugreek definately helped us. Oatmeal seemed to also. I used the teas also.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

You know I struggled with this when my son was about that age as well. In the long run, we did not have a supply problem. He was fussy after/during every feeding. But in the long run, I purchased a baby scale and did before and after weights and he was taking in on average 24 oz. a day. Which is a perfect average. He was just fine. I think he probably did want to increase my supply though, so I just pumped after every feeding (except the 2 in the middle of the night) for 4 days and then he was fine.

I think the pumping helped more than anything else I tried. Which was fenugreek and mother's milk tea.

I would recommend trying to get a scale somehow and do a 24 hr. intake check. It might ease your mind if you find out she is taking in enough after all.

FYI, 5 min. is totally normal. My son nurses for like 1-2 min. on each side, that's it. Except in the middle of the night, I have more milk then as well and he takes in like 5oz. in a 10-15 min. period.

Good Luck! Don't stress yourself out too much, that will hurt your milk supply as well.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitchell98 View Post
I would recommend trying to get a scale somehow and do a 24 hr. intake check. It might ease your mind if you find out she is taking in enough after all.

FYI, 5 min. is totally normal. My son nurses for like 1-2 min. on each side, that's it. Except in the middle of the night, I have more milk then as well and he takes in like 5oz. in a 10-15 min. period.

Good Luck! Don't stress yourself out too much, that will hurt your milk supply as well.
Even if you can get to a scale for even one feeding. I think DD was bout this age when she without warning suddenly dropped from 10-15 mins/feeding to 5 mins/feeding and was asking to nurse ALL THE TIME. I though for sure that my supply was dropping. I went to a local breastfeeding support meeting and weighed her before and after one of her 5 min. feeding and found out that all of a sudden she had gotten so efficient at nursing that she was taking in the same amount in 5 mins that used to take her 10-15! That reassurance coupled with the news that 4 months is a common growth-spurt time for an infant made me realize that it wasn't my supply. It was just that she didn't need to feed as long, just a little more often due to the growth spurt. (I hope that made sence) I would seriously recommend going to a LLL meeting. Ours has a scale that you can use and the leader and all the other mamas are so helpful

The only other thing I can think of is the possability of ear infections if she is crying durring feedings and doesn't want to finish a feeding. DD was about 5 months old when she got her first and that's what happened. She had the sniffles for a few days but nothing major. She didn't have a fever or anything else but after talking to a friend that had an older nursling I went to the Dr. just in case after my friend's suggestion. Turns out that's exactly what it was. As soon as I knew it was medical I was able to give her Tylenol for the pain and that helped a bunch. Also, once the anti-biotics kicked in she went right back to normal nursing habits.

I also second the stressing effects on nursing. I've tested that like a million times over DD's 19 mos+ and as soon as I start stressing even a bit it directly effects my supply.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
Lukesmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I need to increase my supply...keep the comments coming....
I just read the book Making More Milk....awesome!
I have done everything and tried every herb. I think Goat's Rue has helped the most. I am waiting domperidone.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
takasmom
Registered Users

I think its very hard to drink enough tea to make a significant difference if you are dealing with serious supply probs. That was my experience anyway. I tend to notice a quicker reaction to oatmeal (like within the next time I pump, as soon as 1-2 hrs later) and fenugreek.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Treighsie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My only suggestion is to NURSE MORE and pump too...it should eventually build up.
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote