Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
dubh_reubel
Registered Users

Starting at 2 months?

Advertisement

Last edited by dubh_reubel; 03-30-2010 at 08:15 PM.
dubh_reubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
sagefemme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Starting at 2 months?

Hi! My daughter was born Jan 3rd! We started EC ~1 wk ago. DD loves diaper changes when her diaper comes off and it is really obvious when she's about to poop so we got a baby bjorn little potty and started using it at diaper changes and poop time and any other time that seems appropriate. We have days with no pees in the potty and days with lots, each little pee in the potty means one less diaper!

If you can spend some time with your dd diaperless or without a diaper cover, so you can see/feel when she goes, then make a cueing sound (like pssss.... or whatever cue you want to use) Then when you try holding her over your sink, toilet, little potty or whatever, and give her that cue, she can start to associate the two. You can give her a "pottytunity" however often she seems to pee (every 1/2 hour over here, at any other (poopy) diaper change, and if you can figure out when she pees after nursing (mine is 20 minutes afterwards). And also when she wakes up from sleeping. Those are "timing" based approaches. You may start to notice squirming, crying or other things that make you think "maybe she needs to pee" and you can offer pottying then too.

Anyway, I know you'll hear from more experienced mamas on this subject, but I saw you didn't have any responses yet so I wanted to chime in. Don't get discouraged. Even if you don't get any pees in your chosen receptacle, just cueing her as she goes is great elimination communication. Good luck - this is such an interesting way to understand your child, I feel it has made me so much more aware of my little one in just this week. I'm really grateful.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagefemme View Post
Hi! My daughter was born Jan 3rd! We started EC ~1 wk ago. DD loves diaper changes when her diaper comes off and it is really obvious when she's about to poop so we got a baby bjorn little potty and started using it at diaper changes and poop time and any other time that seems appropriate. We have days with no pees in the potty and days with lots, each little pee in the potty means one less diaper!

If you can spend some time with your dd diaperless or without a diaper cover, so you can see/feel when she goes, then make a cueing sound (like pssss.... or whatever cue you want to use) Then when you try holding her over your sink, toilet, little potty or whatever, and give her that cue, she can start to associate the two. You can give her a "pottytunity" however often she seems to pee (every 1/2 hour over here, at any other (poopy) diaper change, and if you can figure out when she pees after nursing (mine is 20 minutes afterwards). And also when she wakes up from sleeping. Those are "timing" based approaches. You may start to notice squirming, crying or other things that make you think "maybe she needs to pee" and you can offer pottying then too.

Anyway, I know you'll hear from more experienced mamas on this subject, but I saw you didn't have any responses yet so I wanted to chime in. Don't get discouraged. Even if you don't get any pees in your chosen receptacle, just cueing her as she goes is great elimination communication. Good luck - this is such an interesting way to understand your child, I feel it has made me so much more aware of my little one in just this week. I'm really grateful.
Well said! One other thought, just to add to that, is to offer before and after car rides and getting out of a baby carrier. DD almost always goes when I take her out of her sling or mei tai.

eta: A couple high miss times are when baby's in an excersaucer-thing or during tummy time.

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!

Last edited by Sakari; 03-11-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think most mama's will also tell that right after naps is a great time to catch, most babies don't pee in their sleep during the day, but they will need to go right after waking.

I use baby chaps with prefolds for my DD, and some days I just put her in underwear. I live in England and baby underwear are pretty cheap here I couldn't believe how expensive they were in America. While I was living there I went to thrift stores and garage sales and would buy the outfits with the diaper cover bloomer type things with them, (or find just the bloomers) and then use just the bloomers as underwear. Obviously you have to go down a size i.e. the NEWBORN bloomers were too big until she was 2 or 3 months.

Also there are SO many websites out there and books so don't foget about those!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
dubh_reubel
Registered Users

Last edited by dubh_reubel; 03-30-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Sakari
Registered Users

I don't know - 50/50? EC babies just tend to hold it longer than diaper-ed babies. But alot of it is on the parent, too, the babies can't walk yet so that's our job! But to me it's no different than being "trained" to feed her when she's hungry or bathe her when she's dirty, etc. I was hesitant to EC because I thought it would be alot of work on my part - but it's really not. After awhile you won't even think twice about it. And on the days when you don't end up doing diaper laundry because there just isn't enough to justify a load - you'll feel like you cheated the system!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree it's a bit of both, and there will be days when you think "I honestly just can't deal with this today" those days I tend to actually put a diaper on my kid lol of course those also tend to be the days she's refuses to go anywhere but the potty! Then there are days when you go out and LO needs the potty and some other mother with her four year old still in diapers will compliment you and wonder how you did it, and you will wonder how she can still clean the diapers of a four year old!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Baby June 2009
Registered Users

Talking Re: Starting at 2 months?

I'm right now and due in June. But I', already planning on using the EC method. I have already bought the cutest little potty for her.

Is it too soon to start EC at 2 or 3 weeks? I will be a full time SAHM.

I feel like I need to start early, the sooner the better type of thing. What do you guys think?
Baby June 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
dubh_reubel
Registered Users

Last edited by dubh_reubel; 03-30-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started at two weeks - at 8 days I took a roadtrip to see DH so he could see DD and it was a lot to just get through the 4 days of driving, but it wouldn't hurt to start right after birth!