Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry cookie trauma!!!

I am so good at baking cakes but I don't know what happens when I make cookies. I don't know if I pick bad recipies or what. Does anyone have a really good chocolate (ish) cookie recipie that's not really expensive to make? I was making some cookies last night and I bought all the ingreadints and then when I went to make them I noticed it took 7 cups of oatmeal. That's when I realized these were mainly oatmeal cookies. The title said chocolate heath cookies. I should have looked at how much oatmeal it took early on and I would have realized they were more of an oatmeal cookie than a chocolate cookie. They turned out ok, but it wasn't what I was thinking it was going to be. I want a good chocolate (ish) cookie that I can give to neighbors for christmas and be proud of and not embarassed. Thanks for your help with this.

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
jkelstaten
Registered Users

Re: cookie trauma!!!

The best Choc. Chip cookie recipe I ever used was from the back of the Blue Bonnet Box (I don't know if it's still on there since we've been gone 6 months). You melt the butter so you don't have to worry about it being too hard or too soft (that was my biggest prob. when I started baking)
here's a link. It says to make them big, but I never did and they always turned out perfect! I've also subsituted butterscotch chips and it was a wonderful combination

http://bluebonnet.com/recipes/recipe...ecipeId=100995

This is another link to the Chocolate cookie recipes on their site. I've never tried them, but considering how perfect the Choc. Chip recipe is I would bet these are really good too (my kids are allergic to choc. so I don't make a lot of choc. cookies in general)
http://bluebonnet.com/recipes/search...terol=&x=0&y=0
Old 12-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input. I'm not really looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipie but more or less just a choclotety recipie. More ideas please!!
Old 12-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Moo&LaLasMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: Ms.LillyAnnzMommy
seller

My Mood:

yummm...cookies

Andrea mother to Ms.Lilly-Ann 2/4/05
and Ms.Molly Renee 6/10/08
Proudly raising My Minis
Moo&LaLasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've got one for you.

Chocolate Crinkles

1/2C margerine
2C white sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2C cocoa
2 1/2C flour
2tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

icing/confectioners sugar(1-2Cups)

Cream the margerine & sugar together. Add the eggs & beat well. Add in the vanilla. Then beat in the cocoa, flour, baking powder & salt.

Put the icing sugar in a square pan. Roll the cookies into 1" balls, then roll the cookies in the icing sugar to coat. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes.

They're good frozen, room temp or hot from the microwave/oven.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
orangemnms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The best chocolate cookies on earth are the Neiman Marcus ones, hands down. JMHO of course LOL! The blended oatmeal makes them chewy without being oatmealy, and the grated hersey bar makes them chocolately without being OVERLY chocolatey.

2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. soda
2 cups sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal**
24 oz. chocolate chips
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
2 tsp. vanilla

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

** measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.
orangemnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

Another thing you can. that we do when we want a change is to add 1/3 cup of cocoa to your chocolate chip cookie recipe and just omit(or leave them!) the chocolate chips..this works well and my kids really like them.. we use

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 sticks of butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup chocolate chips(if desired)

this is the chocolate chipe recipe, then just add the cocoa
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

these are kind of a cakey cookie, very moist. My DH said he thinks they are like brownie bites. We LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!

Chocolate cookies

1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (18-ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner's sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey." Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired

These are good also.

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2-1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 squares melted bakers chocolate

BEAT cream cheese and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla. Gradually add flour, beating until well blended after each addition. Add baking soda; mix well. Add melted chocolate and mix till just combined. Cover. Refrigerate 30 min.
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place, 2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 15-20 minutes depending on how chewy you want the cookie to be, bake longer for a crispy cookie.
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much. I'm going to print these out and try them.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about no bake Chocolate/PB oatmeal cookies? I love these and they are super easy to make:

1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped nuts (any kind, or you can omit, as I often do)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix sugar, butter, cocoa and milk in a large saucepan. Boil for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Romve from heat and add peanut butter. Stir until blended. Add rolled oats, nuts, vanilla, and salt. Place spoonfulls of cookie mixture wax paper on countertop and let set until cool (about 25 minutes). Another variation is to put the whole mixture into an 8x 8 or 9.9 pan and chill, cutting into squares.