View Poll Results: When did your LO give up naps?
< 2 years old 6 16.67%
2 years 7 19.44%
3 years 13 36.11%
4 years or older 10 27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
NancyB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question When did your LO stop napping?

So my DD is turning 3 next week. She seems to not need a nap anymore. We have a calming bedtime routine that ends at 8:30. We can still hear her talk at 9:30pm. She wakes up on her own about 7am everyday.

On the weekends, it takes her an hour to fall asleep, then naps 2+ hours.

At daycare she naps 1.5 hours.

I would like to stop naps and just have on an earlier bedtime- say 7:30. I think she would have an easier time falling asleep.

Daycare lady seems to think 3 is early for giving up naps, but it doesn't sound that unusual to me. What is your experience???

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
militarymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did your LO stop napping?

My 4yo still took (she will still take one every few days) naps up till about a month ago. My 2yo is refusing naps now too because of her big sister. I don't mind a huge deal since, if they don't nap, all 3 of the little ones are in bed by 630p! (well Eden goes down around 7 since she does nap once during the day). Nice quiet time for mama!

Missing my Soldier who is currently in Afghanistan
militarymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
HEATHER78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is exactly what we are doing. I have three kid's a almost 6 year old a 4 year old and a two year old that all share a room. The 6 year old is in school so he dose not nap but, the 2 and 4 year old I lay down everyday and it seems latleythat my 4 year old is just tossing and turning and not napping so I have stopped her nap and now instead of sendiong all to bed at 8pm we have given all three there own bed time it also cut's back on the keeping each other up and down out of ther bed's. My youngest gose to bed at 7pm then the next at 7:30pm and the oldest at 8pm we just started this last week and it works so well no more up and down a hundred times at night puttingthem back in there bed's....it is so peaceful for everyone.
HTH
Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

one of my almost 3.5yo still needs a nap most days. he doesn't always take one- today was day 4 of no nap. i imagine he'll fall asleep tomorrow. i hope anyway!! the other one does fine most days if he doesn't nap. he stopped napping regularly at around 2.5. they do rest in their room for an hr regardless.

most of the 3 yo napped when i worked daycare.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
2Pinks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my girls dropped their morning naps around 16-18 months. My oldest still took afternoon naps until close to 4 years old. About 3 months before she turned 4 she was consistently just sitting in her bed singing to herself or playing with her dolls. I still made her stay in bed for "quiet time" but was fine with her not sleeping. It didn't affect her bedtime or wake-up time at all.

My 3 year old still needs an afternoon nap - some days she can't even wait until after lunch and actually falls asleep around 11am. I think things might change once my oldest starts kindergarten next fall. I think she will be worn out enough to need an earlier bedtime and if Ally stops napping then they can both go to bed earlier which would be great for me!!!

~*~ My Biz ~*~
2Pinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd gave up naps before she turned 2.

DS is 20 months and still takes napes 80% of the time.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
mommyof2wildboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My almost 5 year old still naps for about 2 hours everyday. He goes to bed between 8-8:30.
mommyof2wildboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
3GirlieMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: YoliMama
seller

My Mood:

she was 2 probably because she never went to a daycare where they had a pitch black room and a routine... I never wanted to force it and struggle with her over it, + since she doesn't like to go to sleep anyway, she started passing out at night easier since she was super tired (a benefit I guess). She's 3 1/2 now and STILL struggles to go to sleep at night.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

My boy turned 3 on March 1 and is giving up naps as we speak. I moved his bedtime to 1/2 hour earlier, and he is sleeping in longer in the morning.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

I voted 4 or older. My DS is almost 3 1/2 years and still needs a nap otherwise we have afternoon meltdowns. He sometimes falls asleep right away, other times stays awake. I can always tell the days he doesn't sleep because he is a grouch at dinner. I thought about giving it up but it's all in his will to sleep that day. He usually naps at 1 and I always get him out of his room at 3. He needs to be woken up if he does go to sleep. I find that if I take a car ride around 1-1:30 he will fall asleep so I know he still needs one. He is a very busy kid though.