Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
ts149
Registered Users

EC and Crying

I began EC to test it out when DS was 3-4 weeks old (he's 7 weeks now). I started by putting him over the toilet when he woke up and after nursing. It worked well but I was having a hard time holding him over the toilet and getting the pee to go in the toilet, so I moved to the shower. He has done well in both instances. However, he tends to cry when I take him to the potty, sometimes screams to the point where I'm not sure if he's in pain. I can't really predict when he cries; sometimes he does and other times he is totally calm. I've noticed that sometimes he cries and then stops and pees. I'm not sure what this means. If he cries, should I just stop and go on with the changing routine? I'm afraid if I persist, he'll associate discomfort with going to the potty. Hubby is getting frustrated with the whole process even though we technically only EC part-time because of this. Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

Advertisement

ts149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
aurelia
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: EC and Crying

i was hoping to see some replies to this... the same thing still happens with my dd. we started ec around 4 months. she's now 7 1/2 months and i'm not completely sure i'm doing the right thing by letting her cry during pottying. and like you said, it's not all the time. and she'll cry out, then relax and pee. i wonder if happens when she's been holding it for too long??? you know how if you have to go really bad, it almost hurts and you have to take a deep breath to relax enough to go? anyway, that's all i've come up with...
aurelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
yummama
Registered Users
seller

yummama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hm we have similar things. to me if she's crying i first try to prevent a huge cry, and if she's whimpering, i'll talk to her. i do not want pressure about going potty. i find that having a book for her to look at helps. we're further along than most i guess, age-wise, so i' not sure if the same situation applies
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:

My son is 8 weeks. If he starts to cry, we change pottying positions. Most of the time he was just uncomfortable. Or I will nurse while pottying him when i know he has to poop and that relaxes him enough to let it out and go.
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i've read on another board that the crying is normal. personally though, for my son, when he cries i just move on and put his diaper on. usually he doesn't need to go, and is tired.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Sakari
Registered Users

My dd did that crying out thing a few times, but for us it passed quickly. Now tho she'll arch and yell out - that one means she isn't interested! But the kind of cry/whimper/then relax and pee thing was temporary. I just did what all pp have said, no pressure, if she relaxed soon we stayed and she peed, if not then we moved on to the rest of the diaper change.

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
cecil
Registered Users

This is interesting, I hadn't heard of this before. Mine didn't like to hang over the potty, liked to "sit" on the potty seat and when she was super little like yours really needed the potty turtleneck thing or she would freak from the cold plastic, once you got her on the coze fleece she was so happy. Which I could understand, if I were a newborn I would not be thrilled to have my pants popped off and be dangled in mid-air Do you have a heater in your bathroom if you live in the tundra like us? The main reason I'm replying to this though is that my neighbor's son screams and screams whenever he pees or poops in his diaper (she doesn't ec), so maybe it's just his thing? Her doctor did a big work up and there's nothing wrong, he just hates to pee.
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
ts149
Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your input. Just this week, soon after I posted, my son has cried/screamed only once or twice! I am hoping that it was a passing thing. He seemed to have done this on his own after I began to pay closer attention to his habits of letting me know when he had to go. For instance, I tried to respond instantly to his squirms and fussiness by taking him to potty instead of trying other things first. I also stopped holding him over the shower whenever he cried out and just went on with diaper changes. This also seemed to have helped. Another thing was that if he was making sucking notions right after waking up, I fed him first instead of taking him to potty like I usually did. Sometimes this caused him to do his business in his diaper; other times he would hold it until potty time and was more relaxed. Feeling better about the whole thing!
ts149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Sakari
Registered Users

I'm so glad!!!!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote