Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
wfiles
Registered Users
seller

Update! Now nursing!! Is my 11 mo self weaning???

So I have nursed my LO for 11 months steady and suddenly she doesn't want to nurse at all. Until last week she had been nursing about 4 times a day with another 2 or 3 times at night. But, suddenly (when I started my period this month, my first one) she has quit wanting to nurse. I try all of the normal things and she arches her back and screams each time I try to feed her. I tried pumping and she won't take it either.
Night feedings are her favorite and she will suckle for a few moments and then pull off and want to go back to bed.
Should I just accept that she is self weaning or should I continue to try? I feel like I am forcing her which is an awful feeling too. Please help me. I had always assumed we would nurse until 12 months (which we are very close to) or further....please send your advice my way! Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by wfiles; 03-15-2009 at 09:14 PM.
wfiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
AW-R
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is my 11 mo self weaning???

I've heard starting your period can change the milk for a few days, which she may be objecting to...it could be a nursing strike. Most kids won't self wean until between 2-4 yrs old. If you want to keep nursing, just keep presenting it to her and if she refuses, pump and give it in a sippy. My son went on a nursing strike at around 7 months old for about a week, but he eventually went back to it.
Allyssa--mom to Bennett (09/2007) and Lachlan (11/2010), 2 dogs & 2 cats, wife to Arty (14 yrs)--a done-with-diapers , searching for zen, trying to be more green, loves trades, happy-having-a-career mom who tries to do it all!
AW-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
wfiles
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is my 11 mo self weaning???

I just wanted to thank and update all you mamas that helped. Miss Addy is back to nursing and seems to be happier than ever (with nursing that is). Thanks for helping us out!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Libbysmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Update! Now nursing!! Is my 11 mo self weaning???

My daughter self weaned at 16 months. One day she nursed like normal, the next she wanted nothing to do with me. I tried for several days and finally dh told me to stop trying to force her. It is really hard not to feel rejected but if she really doesn't want to you can't make her.
Libbysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote