Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When and how do you give Zantac to your EBF newborn?

Just got the ranitidine (zantac) for my reflux baby today.

My question is this: When do you give it in relation to feedings, etc. I know it's 3x a day but I wondered what YOUR routine is? Oh, and of course HOW to get the teeny tiny ones to take it and not spit it out....

TIA!

Advertisement

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When and how do you give Zantac to your EBF newborn?

Mama, DS1 was a zantac baby from 5 weeks to 5 months. I gave him his meds by syringe (he got the hang of it immediately and sucked the syringe like a pacifier). I gave him his meds first thing in the morning, his afternoon nursing and at bedtime, anywhere from 30 to 3 minutes before feeding him. Our ped recommended as close to 30 minutes before nursing as possible so the meds are on board and working before the food enters. He would even wait 20 minutes or so to nurse after waking in the morning. Good luck mama.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
gladeofmelons
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When and how do you give Zantac to your EBF newborn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
Mama, DS1 was a zantac baby from 5 weeks to 5 months. I gave him his meds by syringe (he got the hang of it immediately and sucked the syringe like a pacifier). I gave him his meds first thing in the morning, his afternoon nursing and at bedtime, anywhere from 30 to 3 minutes before feeding him. Our ped recommended as close to 30 minutes before nursing as possible so the meds are on board and working before the food enters. He would even wait 20 minutes or so to nurse after waking in the morning. Good luck mama.
Agreed.
DS is almost 6 months, and still spits up like mad, but it doesn't seem to bother him much anymore. He's down to one dose/day. Sure makes for lots of laundry.
DS had a little harder time getting the hang of the syringe, but that could be cause he never took a paci. I just had to perservere, and push the meds in REALLY slow. After about 2 weeks he had it down.
GL!!