Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
MStarRising
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Health Department/WIC - Vax Exemption forms???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
So WIC has never really bothered me about our VERY selective/delayed vaccine schedule....until now!

The lady said today "I'll give you one more month then you MUST bring in the form from the doctor refusing any shots"...Umm....legally I didn't think they could do this....

I'm thinking of just going to the health department and getting the exemp forms and fill them out and give them to the WIC office [along with a copy of the vax laws in Florida!]

Has anyone every gone to the Health Department here? I have to be honest and say ours is literally creepy looking from the outside to me...it's in old trailers and they are filthy on the outside...I cringe everytime I go by.

So what I do ask them once I'm inside? Will they need their SS numbers or can I refuse to give that too them?
What of the WIC situation...can they legally demand a refusal form??

Thanks mamas!
I say you just bring a copy of the vax laws in FL... perhaps also a copy of the quote on the WIC website that talks about not being able to refuse service b/c of vax delaying.

Which Health Dept office are you going to? I live in Central FL and have been to both the Sanford and Casselberry one. The people at the Casselberry one are nice. I would suggest going there. I think all they need is your kids' SS #. Good luck!

Advertisement

MStarRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm worried about this too because my ds got all his shots up to a year (haven't gotten the year ones). WIC tried to give me crap about it too and I just told them "I planned" on getting them even though I don't anymore. GL and hopet hings work out. So even though my DS has gotten some shots, I can still use the form right?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I didnt have any prob getting a excemption. It is always good to have them on hand so getting one is prob a good idea anyways.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
AutumnTrees
Registered Users

Until my maternity leave I worked for WIC. They are required to screen and do referrals for vaccinations, but as far as I am aware they can not refuse you based on this. Tell them to show you their manual...
AutumnTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

little tip, don't sign the refusal to vaccinate form at the pedi's office. it's worded funny and it's been used against non-vaxing parents before to show medical neglect because they are admitting by signing thatform that they are aware that they are putting their child at risk by not getting the vaccines. if you are pushed to sign that form, leave. get another pedi. or you can sit there and rewrite the form to include the words, "alleged" in front of risk. And just basically CYA. You don't want that hanging over your head. WIC cannot refuse you service because you do not vaccinate. Most states have the exemption forms on their health dept websites. If not, call and tell them you have no form of transportation and ask that it be mailed to you. You don't have to be there in person. Having the exemption is a very very good thing to have because it shows you are proactive in your child's health even if you are forgoing the recommended vaccinations. WIC should not need this information from you but it's a great thing to have on your person or in yo ur diaper bag anyway. My older daughters have religious exemptions and I have a typed, signed, and notarized letter with the baby's name on it stating that I am invoking my right in the state of such and such and law number such and such to refuse vaccinations and testing. I keep a copy in my diaper bag and a copy in my important papers file at all times. I also keep copies of the older girls' religious exemption forms in the diaper bag and important papers file at all times as well. Just covering the bases. My WIC office has NEVER asked me once about vaccines. Not once. If they did I would be able to pull out our exemption forms and the notarized letter and state that for religious reasons we do not vaccinate. But they have not once even asked me about vaccine forms. It's none of their business. They are not medical health care professionals and htey do not treat my children. They are there as nutritionists and lactation consultants and to give out checks.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #16
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahOxley View Post
I'm worried about this too because my ds got all his shots up to a year (haven't gotten the year ones). WIC tried to give me crap about it too and I just told them "I planned" on getting them even though I don't anymore. GL and hopet hings work out. So even though my DS has gotten some shots, I can still use the form right?
dpeends what kind of exemption you are talking about. I believe for a philosophical you have to write a letter(correct me if I am wrong since my state doesn't have one of those) and for a medical you need a doctor's signature. For a religious exemption you check off the vaccines you are opposed to(all basically) and you sign. That's it. Simple and easy. Keep in mind that regardless of whether your child has had one or 20 vaccines, you can have a religious awakening at any time. My oldest was delayed vaccinated and up to date until age 5 and then got an exemption. My middle was delayed/selective vaccinated until age 2 and got an exemption. My littlest had one synagis vaccine and nothing else and she's 14months and will be getting an exemption when she enters school or daycare.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #17
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahOxley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
dpeends what kind of exemption you are talking about. I believe for a philosophical you have to write a letter(correct me if I am wrong since my state doesn't have one of those) and for a medical you need a doctor's signature. For a religious exemption you check off the vaccines you are opposed to(all basically) and you sign. That's it. Simple and easy. Keep in mind that regardless of whether your child has had one or 20 vaccines, you can have a religious awakening at any time.
I live in Iowa and we don't have philo exempts. Just do the religious form, I had an 'awakening' after DD had some vaxxes, and it was never an issue.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 AM   #18
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStarRising View Post
I say you just bring a copy of the vax laws in FL... perhaps also a copy of the quote on the WIC website that talks about not being able to refuse service b/c of vax delaying.

Which Health Dept office are you going to? I live in Central FL and have been to both the Sanford and Casselberry one. The people at the Casselberry one are nice. I would suggest going there. I think all they need is your kids' SS #. Good luck!
I'm actually in Lake Wales [the little blip on the map! lol], towards Avon Park/Sebring, so I have to go to the one in Lake Wales.

I'm going to get several exemption forms and like a PP said keep one on hand in the diaper bag too. I usually do carry the laws as well.

I'm not worried about them refusing me WIC...I just hate that all the sudden they need these "refusal forms"...which sadly I have signed for my youngest son at the Pedi office [before I really knew more]...

The bad thing is that right now my children are on the state insurance because my husband doesn't get insurance through his work...anyway...the list of pedi's offered are very small to begin with so I don't really have much of a choice...
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #19
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post

I'm not worried about them refusing me WIC...I just hate that all the sudden they need these "refusal forms"...which sadly I have signed for my youngest son at the Pedi office [before I really knew more]...

The bad thing is that right now my children are on the state insurance because my husband doesn't get insurance through his work...anyway...the list of pedi's offered are very small to begin with so I don't really have much of a choice...
We are on state insurance too. When I first started refusing vaccines for the baby(who was a preemie and being followed by visiting nurses) they called me and questioned me and tried to pressure me. I knew my rights and I knew what to say and they backed off. All I said was, "I know I can vaccinate at any time I wish too. Thank you for your information and your help. We are not vaccinating due to religious reasons and I dont' wish to discuss it any further." The nurse said she wanted to document that and that was fine but could I just give her the religion so she could write it in Grace's file????????? I told her that I did not have to divulge that information to her and I felt like she was trying to force me to do something that was against my religion. She immediately backed off because the last thing she wanted was a lawsuit about religion on the state's radar I'm sure. I haven't been contacted since. We do have a pediatrician that we visit once a year but otherwise we don't do well-baby visits and we do not vaccinate. I haven't had any issues. I do comply with the iron testing but only because I was severely anemic during my pregnancy(to the point that they threatened blood transfusion if I lost anymore blood during the delivery) and I think it's a simple thing to check my kids for since they don't eat any red meat and very little meat in general(and I am vegetarian).
Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #20
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Sorry you're dealing with this My WIC office must be a weird one-when I told the lady at our last visit we were select/delay vaxing my son, she told me that I was being a good mom and she didn't know why babies had to get so much junk pumped into them. I had to scrape my jaw off the floor Sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote