Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What does a food intolerance rash look like?

DS has been eating solids now for 2 months, and when he first started eating pears I noticed that he would get these little bumps on his face, almost like whiteheads, maybe one or two on his face and more on his earlobes.

So we stopped pears, no more bumps.

I gave him some pureed organic green beans (mama-made) and the bumps are back and worse, his ears are covered in little pimple-looking things, which are gone the next day.

He has also been rubbing his eyes alot (itchy) since about 6 months which I brought up to pedi as possibly our cats, but his eyes are not watery so pedi said probably not allergy related.

He regularly eats apples, sweet potatos, bnut squash, prunes, oats, avocado and rarely banana and recently sweet peas.

Any other mamas seen this symptom? Those are supposed to be pretty safe foods.

TIA

Advertisement

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
julesyboosmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What does a food intolerance rash look like?

My LO had terrible eczema in the crooks of her elbows and the backs of her knees, but never showed anything on her face, so it took us forever to figure out that this was related to an egg allergy... one morning she gobbled up a scrambled egg and within a few hours her whole body was red and broken out, but nothing on her face or around her mouth. If you notice any reaction to a particular food, note it, as allergic reactions can worsen over time
julesyboosmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A lot of kids are different, but it will get worse over time if it related to the food. My dd would get a similar rash to that with a lot of foods when she was young (she had a LOT of food intolerances), but we stopped giving them to her and after 6mo-1 year she could eat them without any issues. Now artificial cinnamon flavor, that is looking more like a true allergy as it gives her hives around her mouth (raised red patches).
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Gatherer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll show you:

His face doesn't look bad in that shot, but I can assure you it was. The rash was worst on his face, but went down his chest and even into his hair and the inside of his ears. The bumps were sort of crusty, too, not smooth like bug bites.
Gatherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow, thanks for posting that! We thankfully have nothing that severe, and that looks just like the prickly heat DS had last summer, so I would have made a mistake.

thanks so much.

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatherer View Post
I'll show you:

His face doesn't look bad in that shot, but I can assure you it was. The rash was worst on his face, but went down his chest and even into his hair and the inside of his ears. The bumps were sort of crusty, too, not smooth like bug bites.
My ds had the same thing on his face, neck, scalp and torso when he was on Augmentin. His pedi said probably prickly heat, but funny it stopped a day after the Augmentin was finished...
Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'll show you:

My 7mo has the EXACT same thing! I'll see if I can find a picture... but we *think* it is dryer sheets, because the rash came up the night I changed sheets on my bed, and I used a dryer sheet They were all over most of his back, and around his side to part of his tummy. Then after his nap the next day, they were on the side of his neck right below his ear, which would have been in contact with the sheets.

It could also be pears, we just tried them the day before he got the rash.

Here's the picture I took a couple days ago:

Last edited by logansmomma07; 03-11-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: pic
logansmomma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds gets the red rash in his elbows and knees, but my dd gets the white bumps on her hands and legs. Both itch.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
monicajoy1979
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DDs started out looking like the previous picture. After months and months of our pedi just saying it was eczema and it would get better later we switched pedis and found out it is a dairy/soy sensitivity/allergy. Here is a pic of my DDs face when it wasn't too bad. It got a lot worse and I feel terrible looking at these pics and how I didn't know it was the dairy and soy. (Please excuse the crusty milk under her nose. )

monicajoy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Tavie and Ellie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I'll show you:

My youngest gets a rash that looks just like that when she eats strawberries