View Poll Results: What do you do for a picky eater?
Doesn't happen. My kid(s) eat everything. 9 13.64%
They eat what we eat, every night. 15 22.73%
I serve something I know they will eat, along with the regular meal. 28 42.42%
I make them a whole other meal I know they will eat. 4 6.06%
Depends... I'll explain. 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
A Picky Eater Poll

If your child is a picky eater, and you serve a meal that you KNOW they won't eat, what do you do?

Advertisement

Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:
Re: A Picky Eater Poll

Quote:
I serve something I know they will eat, along with the regular meal.
That's what I do. Eventhough with DS that's still no guarantee that he'll eat it! *sigh* If he liked pasta one day he might not want pasta the next day, kwim? It's actually quite frustrating sometimes, but maybe also b/c I was really spoiled w/DD as she'd eat everything I served her, lil porker that she was lol.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I picked "depends" on my own poll- LOL! My kids are expected to eat what we eat, MOST nights. I usually try and fix something with the meal I know they will eat but it doesn't always happen, but they are still expected to eat it. If they don't, they don't get anything else. A is pretty good about it now, S just isn't a good eater yet.

That said... some meals are just not too kid friendly (stuff with onions or peppers) so very occasionally I will make them something else.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
Mamato4kiddos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For the most part I usually ask that they at least try what we are having. Most often when they try it they find they like it. If we are having something I know they don't like or that I think is just to spicy for them, I will make them another meal. My 5 yr old is the most picky in our house. My 2 1/2 year old would eat just about anything. My other 2, depends on their mood.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i always make something i know they will eat along with our meal.
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs169 View Post
I picked "depends" on my own poll- LOL! My kids are expected to eat what we eat, MOST nights. I usually try and fix something with the meal I know they will eat but it doesn't always happen, but they are still expected to eat it. If they don't, they don't get anything else. A is pretty good about it now, S just isn't a good eater yet.

That said... some meals are just not too kid friendly (stuff with onions or peppers) so very occasionally I will make them something else.
Ditto!

Miranda seriously only eats about 6 different things, so I figure, if she was really hungry she would eat what was infront of her. If she doesn't, then she doesn't eat. I used to make her a 100 different things, but it was too much after awhile, even more so when i would make her something completely different that i knew she ate, just so she could push it away and throw a fit. That's when i quite catering to her. lol

I've tried 100 different things, from giving her things she won't eat, mixed into things she will, to Not feeding her for a certian amount of time before dinner. She still will refuse to eat.

Talk about hard to deal with. lol
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

My kids are all older (the ones that eat solids on a daily basis that is). We expect them to try everything on their plate. It's not usually a problem, they will try almost anything and usually enjoy trying new things (we travel alot so there is always something new to try). My oldest (8.5yo) is starting to go through a "I don't like anything" stage but I'm not making him something else to eat every night. With him, I have no problem telling him to eat what is put before him or go to bed hungry ( he rarely chooses to go to bed hungry, btw). When they were younger, I might make them a variation of what we were having, like noodles with cheese instead of tomatoe sauce or scoop their portions out before adding alot of spice. I also chopped up onions and sweet pepper very small when adding them so their flavor was still there but they couldn't really be seen. Then I progressively stopped chopping them up so small and my kids never really had a problem eatting onions and sweet peppers like alot of kids do. (I never did this with hot peppers.) My kids love curry and Mexican food and alot of other thing most kids won't touch and I think it's because I never made their food bland. I always put flavoring and spice in their food even if it was only a little bit when they were toddlers. My oldest LOVED curry from the time he was a toddler. Anywho probably way more than you asked for.

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

My kids eat anything, seriously. Grocery shopping today I handed dd some spinach and her response was" oh, yummy. Did you buy lemon too?". Ds actually eats (and enjoys) salads for his lunches, egg salad sandwiches and tuna too. our fave pizza is feta and black olive. A yummy snack here is fries with blue cheese and hot sauce!! If I had a picky child I'd be lost. Probably make him/her eat what ever I made and get used to liking it.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

I can't really give "one" answer for this.

I'll explain, LOL.

Mason (ds#1) is 4, and a VERY picky eater. He eats (or doesn't eat) what we eat. The only exception is if I'm making something uber spicy, or the like (which isn't very often). He is required to take a set number of bites, and then he can be done. Or, he can choose NOT to eat his meal, and he will get nothing else to eat (this is usually dinner I'm talking about) before bed.

He needs to learn to eat a variety of foods, and also that actions have consequences. It's about 60/40 right now. (60% of the time he doesn't eat dinner, and 40% of the time, he'll gag his way through).

It's a fight EVERY SINGLE night. Oy.

Camden (ds#2) has a TON of allergies, so I'm almost always making a special meal for him. He can't have any dairy or soy, so that eliminates a lot of things. It's a pain, but I'm almost so used to it, I hardly notice! I've tried to incorporate a lot of "Cam" friendly meals into our menus. It's super hard though.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #10
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:

For the most part, she will eat what we eat. However, on the times she is being picky just to be picky, she eats what we eat, or she doesn't eat. If this happens, I generally let her have a snack before bedtime.
mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote