View Poll Results: What do you do for a picky eater?
Doesn't happen. My kid(s) eat everything. 9 13.64%
They eat what we eat, every night. 15 22.73%
I serve something I know they will eat, along with the regular meal. 28 42.42%
I make them a whole other meal I know they will eat. 4 6.06%
Depends... I'll explain. 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A Picky Eater Poll

Well, it doesn't apply too much to us just yet because DS is still pretty young but in the future, I would make him something that I know he will eat along with the rest of the meal. I don't want to reinforce his pickiness by not offering new things, but I don't want to just let him go hungry or force him to eat. I have a lot of screwed up memories of my mom trying to force me to eat stuff to the point of throwing up. I remember the feelings I had when I didn't want to eat something as early as 2-3ish, and it wasn't "just because". It was because I thought it looked wierd and I was TERRIFIED to put it in my mouth (I know, that sounds strange, but that's the perspective I had at that age). And I remember not wanting to eat meat that early too... Every evening when dinner time started to get close, I would start getting really nervous, especially if I found out that my mom was cooking something I didn't like. So I'm never going to put DS through any of that.

Sorry for the novel, its just something I feel strongly about because I remember being that kid. I really do believe that my mom screwed me up, and even as an adult, I'm still really picky. I won't eat things with certain textures, I hate meat, etc.

Advertisement

urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #12
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD used to be a wonderful eater! Recently, however, she's become very choosy. Some days, no problems. Then the next, she could throw everything on the floor, even if it's her favorite the day before! Very frustrating! In any case, we offer what we're eating for dinner. If she refuses, I have on hand some quick meals for just her that she usually will eat. I try to not let it get to me, though it does drive me nuts.

Mind you, DD is 17 months old. I think it's more important that she actually eats at this point. Plus my mom did some pretty messed up things, too, if we wouldn't eat what was served (and was a huge proponent of the clean plate club, to boot!). I don't want to play psychological games like that on my DD. It's not healthy.

Last edited by Severine; 12-04-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Last night was a wonderful example. I was making cheeseburgers for dh and I...and neither of my boys will eat it..or if they do, they don't eat enough of it to make it worthwhile. So, I made cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, green beans, and macaroni and cheese. Usually, it's only the 'main course' that won't get eaten...so I make different things for the 'main course' but everyone eats the sides.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:21 PM   #14
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So, DS is not a picky eater. He eats what we eat. This kid will eat anything, even spicy food. I don't think I will ever make two different meals. I will try to make meals he likes but, for the most part he needs to eat what is in front of him.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #15
CakeMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstategirl View Post
So, DS is not a picky eater. He eats what we eat. This kid will eat anything, even spicy food. I don't think I will ever make two different meals. I will try to make meals he likes but, for the most part he needs to eat what is in front of him.

my ds is the same way. granted he just started eating a lot more 'table food', but i swear the child will eat anything you give him. pickled beets, chickpeas, you name eat he'll try it.
CakeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #16
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest, 3 on thursday (sigh), is a picky eater. He likes certain things, unfortunately mostly processed. But I do conceed to get some of them because he has trouble chewing regular meats for example. He'll like the meat for example and put just 2 peices in and cant shew them and has to spit it out after upwards of 5-10 mintues trying. We dont make his peices too big they are the same saize as my 10 month old gets with only 1 tooth. We try to get him to eat some of what we are having and if we cant get it there are always chicken nuggets or veggies corndogs in the freezer for him, he will eat some sides.
That said he has not gained even 1 pound since his b-day last year and he has shot up about 6 inches, not sure what the doc will say in jan when we go in. We are using the pediasure drinks and bars some too

heidi
Old 12-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #17
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL my dd just sucks it up! LOL Whatever I make, she eats; too bad. If she doen'st want to eat it, then she doesn't eat dinner...and guess what she gets for breakfast? LOL

I just refused to have a picky eater....I don't have the time or inclination to cook more than 1 meal at dinner time. Sometimes I'll offer her a choice; like fish or chicken...or shoyu chicken or mushroom chicken. that kind of thing...but other than that; nope. So she's learned to pretty much eat everything....
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #18
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

At our house, you eat it our you do without...end of story
Old 12-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #19
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd usually eats what we eat, but she is startig to be a bit pickier....I usually get her to at least eat a few bites of her meal, then try some applesauce or crackers - something healthy so she won't be hungry in an hour.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #20
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388 View Post
Ditto!

Miranda seriously only eats about 6 different things, so I figure, if she was really hungry she would eat what was infront of her. If she doesn't, then she doesn't eat. I used to make her a 100 different things, but it was too much after awhile, even more so when i would make her something completely different that i knew she ate, just so she could push it away and throw a fit. That's when i quite catering to her. lol

I've tried 100 different things, from giving her things she won't eat, mixed into things she will, to Not feeding her for a certian amount of time before dinner. She still will refuse to eat.

Talk about hard to deal with. lol
I was this way when I was little. (Still am actually)

I'm a VERY picky adult eater. Some advice: Don't force it. I try more now because my husband just orders stuff and he never offers me any or anything. Sometimes something just looks good. I ask to get a bite. I have NEVER tried anything new when somebody bugs me and bugs me. I will just refuse to spite them. (I know sad.)

I now eat rice, fish, steak, and shrimp. When I was little I would ONLY eat chicken fingers, bacon, mac and cheese, and fries. I still only eat fries as my side item when I go out to eat. (Well, maybe onion rings)