Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
circ question

ok so i will make a long story short my first 2 boys are circed but after much research i did not circ my newest addition. anyways he is having surgery in may for a multicystic diplastic kidney basically it no longer funnctions anyways he is on daily antibiotics we went to a nephrologist a pediatric one she asked if he was circed i said no she then looked at his privates and said his foreskin was very tight and this may causes issues and he should be circed??what should i do? is "tight" foreskin normal....i have no prior experience with an intacr boy so i don't know what is normal or is this dr full of you know wgat

sorry for any typos

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: circ question

I'd say if you really want to know you want to talk to a urologest (spelling is wrong haha). they know that area best. and get a pedi one. gl mama
Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
MamaSpi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hello Mama -

A tight, non retractile foreskin is 100% normal in a baby and often well into childhood. As long as your son can urinate, his foreskin is fine. If he enters puberty and is unable to retract it, then you may want to look into steroid cream and/or stretching exercises. Most likely though, it won't be an issue. The tightness of the foreskin is what protects the penis from infection. If the foreskin is retracted prematurely, that protection is lost - opening up the penis to infection. As far as what to do? If it were me, I would definitely not circ him and maybe print out some info about the normal anatomy of the intact infant for the medical staff. Make sure you are very clear that you don't want the circ done because I am sure they will pressure you to do it "while he's out".

I hope your son has a safe and successful surgery
Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ignore them, the foreskin is SUPPOSED TO BE tight in a young boy. Totally normal.

Ridiculous American trained doctors

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BTW - if you or anyone else is trying to retract his foreskin, please stop! That is very harmful, it is attached to the head of the penis just like a fingernail to your finger. Retraction causes most of these horrible problems that American boys "need" to be circ'ed for....I mention it because I don't know how else this doctor could think his foreskin is "too tight"

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the OP's...it's TOTALLY normal. My 7 month old has a hole/opening the size of a pin head...and as long as he's urinating fine, there isn't any problems. It is normal not to open more/retract until teenage...and often beyond and still it's not a good enough reason to circ, there is exercises and steroid creams that your son can use, if there isn't a current problem and there has not been thus far, I wouldn't see a need to "fix" something that is working

BTW- hats off to you and way to go for choosing to leave him intact, my oldest is cut and my 7 month old is intact after much research!
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Kerry
Registered Users

My Mood:

Check out nocirc.com watched the videos....They will send you literature on if a doc says you "need" to circ your son...Don't do it..Many docs say these things out of ignorance. I'm not being rude. We have run into many doc and nurses who are almost so afraid of foreskin they just assume you have to retract it. I have had to stop several "medical proffessionals" from retracting my son. I just want you to have all the facts...I think only maybe 3% of "medically necessary circumcisions" are actually necessary.

BTW-Early retraction causes phimosis which is tight or attached foreskin.
When the layers are forcefully retracted they rip/tear and then fuse back together causing scaring and pain.

My son had a UTI caused by kidney reflux and twisted ureter not because he is intact at 6 days old. He is also on daily antibiotics.

***Clean it like a finger and leave him intact.....
PM me if you have any questions.
-http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...=1#post6502429
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto everyone else. Most doctors, for whatever reason, think the foreskin HAS to retract right away. That's completely wrong, the foreskin is attached to the head of the penis for YEARS before the retraction process even begins! Don't allow them to retract him! If he has surgery, they may want to insert a catheter and whoever does it needs to be sure to know that they do not have to retract him (or at least not where it would harm him)!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My hubby isn't circ'd (neither is our son) and he said his didn't fully retract until he was 12... DS is almost 3--his doesn't retract either. I'm glad DH knew what to do with the goodies because I didn't have a clue other than knowing I didn't want to circ!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaG01 View Post
I agree with the OP's...it's TOTALLY normal. My 7 month old has a hole/opening the size of a pin head...and as long as he's urinating fine, there isn't any problems. It is normal not to open more/retract until teenage...and often beyond and still it's not a good enough reason to circ, there is exercises and steroid creams that your son can use, if there isn't a current problem and there has not been thus far, I wouldn't see a need to "fix" something that is working

BTW- hats off to you and way to go for choosing to leave him intact, my oldest is cut and my 7 month old is intact after much research!

I had a former pediatrician tell me the same thing. I just said okay and never went back My son is 8 months and doing great!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote