Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Seriously, I cannot keep her healthy!

Since it started getting chilly out this winter I have not been able to keep my kids healthy, especially the baby. It's literally one cold and sickness after another. I don't get it. I keep a clean house, we wash hands, I disinfect toys and linens, I breastfeed, I don't vaccinate, we use homeopathics instead of conventional meds, and we eat a generally healthy diet. But my GOSH, I seriously cannot keep my baby from getting sick. She's been to the ER twice this winter and literally has not spent more than a week healthy between colds since fall. She's been coughing and hacking with yellow snot leaking out of her nose for a few days now and getting 102 fevers every night and cannot stay off the inhaler at night now. EVERY.NIGHT. I'm so tired of this. I feel like I'm doing something wrong here. I don't understand why she can't stay healthy. And her dad is blaming me saying, "well I know you have a hectic schedule and all but you need to take her to the doctor." What is he going to say? Yup, she's got a cold AGAIN. And I'm just at the end of my rope. I'm sleep deprived and miserable and tired of getting nothing done but hold a sick crying whiny baby who can't breathe.

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Seriously, I cannot keep her healthy!

I am so sorry! How frustrating! Does your Dr. or Naturopath have any suggestions? I hope your lo gets feeling better soon so you both can get some much needed rest!

Oh, I just thought, my naturopath always recommends Emergen -C for us when we have any sort of sickness- even my youngest who just turned 1. We give him 1/2 a packet. You may already be doing something similar but just thought I would throw that outhere. She also recommened for me to take extra Vitamin C and it would pass into my breastmilk for DS because it's difficult to get the Emergen -C down him sometimes.
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds normal. Our DS has been fighting ear infections so he got tubes then he got the flu. He goes to a sitter and is around kids at church a few times a week so he is exposed to all sorts of germs. If your LO is at home with you all the time then it's most likely your DH bringing the germs home.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think this is normal. I would try a chiropractor who specializes in infants. Sorry you're having to deal with this. As for Emergen-C, there is a version of it specifically for children, but, I would drink this myself as a nursing mother and get the children's formula for my other kiddo's rather than give it to an infant since she may still be under the age appropriate for ingesting water.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
3rdontheway
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My lo was like this at the beginning of winter. Once the older kids started school she was constantly sick. She has finally been better since mid January. to you mama. It is so hard.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

Well the baby isn't really a "baby" per se. She's 14months. And their dad sees them 2-3 days a week so he's not around a lot ya know? I've already tried some pretty high doses of vitamin c for myself but I think the emergen-c is a good idea for the baby. I think she'd probably like that in her sippy. Our homeopath recommended the vitamin c and said just to keep up on handwashing and washing linens with tto and using bac-out or vinegar and water to wash toys but that with two big sisters in school she's going to pick up germs.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
and cannot stay off the inhaler at night now.
Does your daughter have asthma? allergies? These can affect the body's ability to fight off illness (even when my asthma is well controlled, I usually get sick more often than other people, and more sick than family members).
Old 03-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds like your trying your best to keep her healthy. Some kids just don't have a high germ tolerance. I didn't have a high germ tolerance when I was a baby/tiny child and my Mom didn't do nearly as much as your doing trying to keep germs away. Once I hit school age for some reason my germ tolerance went sky high and to this day I barely even get a cold.

So who knows maybe your daughter'll do the same thing. Be constantly sick now and in a few yrs barely get sick. You never know.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Have you checked your house for mold? Maybe it's something she's exposed to frequently at home, other than just regular kiddo germs? Could it be a food allergy?

I am so sorry, I really don't know what to offer - but having a sick baby is the worst!

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

We had a LOT of mold issues in the summer but I haven't "seen" any lately. But I suppose it's possible given that we had tons this summer. My landlord lysol'ed the basement to fix it and we got rid of all the stuff with mold growth but I'm SURE it's probably still there. Abotu the asthma and allergies, I suppose it's possible. I don't know on the food allergies as she's truly not eaten anything besides some pear and maybe a steamed carrot bite or two and some crackers in like 2 weeks. She literally has breastfed baby poop again at 14months. I don't know about asthma, we don't have a diagnosis of that. She got an inhaler for her last bout of bronchitis and our doctor recommended we keep using it for the frequent wheezing at night. She's just constantly got a rattly cough and wheezing at night and she's always always always leaking from her nose. I CONSTANTLY have to wipe her nose.