Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
monicajoy1979
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Because I'm her mom!

UGHHHHHHHHHHHH. I am so irritated right now, my DH just doesn't get it, I know here is the only place I can vent. My DD has a lot of food sensitivities/allergies. So we have asked my family that live with us (my mom, dad, aunt and cousin, that is another store in itself ) to ask us before they give her something they aren't sure of. Well my DD only drinks water and hemp milk. Occassionally she will get a tiny bit of juice in a cup of water, but that is only 100% juice. Well my mom is diabetic and she drinks this generic crystal light stuff. It has aspartame in it, definitely something I don't want my DD to have at her age. Well today my mom asks me to get her a glass, so I make some and give it to her, she says "well I will probably need more soon because last time Sinnai drank the whole glass of it". I didn't go crazy, I simply asked her to not give it to my DD, I explained that it has aspartame and I didn't want my DD to have it. My mom then gets all upset and said it was good for my DD. I told her it wasn't and to just please not give it to her anymore. She said "well I am just trying to find something good for her to drink". I told her water is very good for her and she has hemp milk during meals, she has everything she needs. My mom is now upset because I don't want her to have her lemonade.

Sometimes I just wish we could live by ourselves.

Advertisement

monicajoy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
melissa5
Registered Users
seller

Re: Because I'm her mom!

I know exactly what you mean. We have just recently moved out of my parents house after living with them for just about 5 years.
melissa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My MIL has lived with us for the last 3yrs. She just moved out. It's so tough, especially with kids! For some reason family members are always trying to hand out sweets to kids, like it's going to create some special bond. When we were visiting dh's family his god father gave my 2yr old dd an entire big bag of m&m's without asking me. So I looked like the jerk taking them away. I told him it needed to go through me first and he started asking before doling out the candy. Your mom will get over it, just stick to your guns. Aspartame is nasty, why would she want her granddaughter to have it?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry mama! I've read a lot of your posts about your family and I know what its like. Blessing and curse. Its priceless to have the kind of time with your family, it drives you nuts all at the same time!

I would really be a biotch about this one. I'm a food control freak tho, I drink crystal light but its not something that I would give a child!

I have no real advice for you, but you're right, aspertaime isn't good for growing bodies!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow I'm sorry. I'd stick to your guns and you handled it very well, alot better then I would have. My mom tries to get my DS chocoalate all the time. Lets just say he's only had it 2 times now. She's also given him...get this...WINE. I'll take crystal light over wine. Oh and yes she did get in trouble for it! I know how it can be, even though I don't live with mine. You handled it very well like I said and now just give it time to blow over... but I'd watch her to make sure she doesn't "forget" or start something else up instead. GL mama
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
juss1ofdemdayz
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's so hard living with family, while trying to raise your family. It just doesn't work alot of the time. People and rules clash, and feelings get hurt, and it can turn into a big mess. Let her be upset. The fact is, this is your daughter. Your mother got the chance to raise her family the way she wanted. Why shouldn't you, you know?

I hope it all blows over soon mama.

juss1ofdemdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 AM   #7
MammaBx3!
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If your family can't respect your choices about the health and welfare of your children, you should live separately from them. I would NEVER give my 1 year old that sort of crap, and if my mom did it, it would be made clear that it was not to happen again. It sounds to me like your mom doesn't respect your judgment or your right to make parenting decisions unilaterally.
MammaBx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 AM   #8
Treighsie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
monicajoy1979
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaBx3! View Post
If your family can't respect your choices about the health and welfare of your children, you should live separately from them. I would NEVER give my 1 year old that sort of crap, and if my mom did it, it would be made clear that it was not to happen again. It sounds to me like your mom doesn't respect your judgment or your right to make parenting decisions unilaterally.
You are completely right, unfortunately it really isn't a choice at this point. The only reason they are staying with us is because my mom has cirrhosis and is very sick. My dad can not do it by himself. So I will just watch my DD much more closely after this.

Thank you all for your support and caring!

monicajoy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The rule in our house is that DS does not get ANYTHING without it first being approved by DH or myself. DS has too many food allergies and it is not worth the risk.
We have a bin in the fridge and a cabinet that are "approved foods", it saves some arguements. I also buy smaller bottles of juice and dilute them with water in a larger container (with a "ds aprroved drink" note attached).