Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
mamamimi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Super Potty Strike - What do I do???

My dd is 11 months old. She is very independent and busy these days. Until recently I would give her potty opportunities and she would go, if she needed to. Lately, however, she becomes very upset if I try to potty her. She resists and cries so I don't press the issue. Then she pees on the floor shortly later.

At night we are experiencing the same thing. We used to make it through the night dry buy taking one or two opportunities to potty during the night. Now she cries and resists when I make an attempt.

She really doesn't like diapers anymore and cries when I have put them on her. She gives me a look like "what are you doing to me?"

Please share any helpful hints or your own experiences with me. I would really appreciate it.

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Super Potty Strike - What do I do???

From what I have read and heard this is pretty normal for that age. Maybe try a toy? Like a toy she likes but it stays with the potty and we can only hold it while on the potty? Perhaps keep the potty in close range, my DD recently had a potty strike I pur the potty within arms reach of her (her arms reach) and put all her diapers away - after having to be changed everytime she peed she started reaching for the potty when she needed to go. Also maybe she wants to potty somewhere other then where she's been going. Like the "big potty". Hope you can figure out the reason for her strike!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
lingon
Registered Users
seller

The most common advice I've been given about potty strikes is to check that there's no medical reason. So, uti's, food sensitivities (has she eaten asparagus lately?) etc aside, what worked really well for us is going outside or letting her choose where to put the potty. For a while she really loved pooping on the deck, but then it got too cold. This winter she sometimes wants to put the potty inside the box she plays in. My dd is 16 months, and she uses the sink or the bblp now - and we keep a box of 'potty toys' that she gets to choose from before we potty. She seems to go on strike about every three months, and when moving the potty doesn't help, we go back to full time diapering for 2 days, and it passes.
good luck.
lingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do u have a deck of some sort? We did the BBP outside on the deck when DS got a bit older and it helped calm him a little - worked temporarily...

sorry i did not read the other responses...
Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
cecil
Registered Users

11 months is a funky age, both of my kids found a way to be difficult in one way or another for that month. They are desperate to be independant but don't have a good way to act it out. When Eloise shows me she's the boss of herself by refusing the potty I just totally ignore her pottying all together. Just split pants or chaps, and I block off the couch Usually when she decides it's not a good way to have a power struggle she gives it up and finds something else to do that's naughty. My only other trick is to leave a very heavy bowl of honey nut cheerios right in front of the potty...
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hooray for cheerios!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
pea little
Registered Users
seller

I don't have that much to offer except camaraderie. We were doing so well until recently (dd will be 11 months in 2 days). It's so frustrating to have gone from hardly any misses to missing most times. She also seems to pee or poo about 45 seconds AFTER I offer her the potty. Sigh. I've tried backing off a bit and telling myself it's just a phase we'll have to ride out.

We do sometimes offer her 'musical potties' these days. Meaning, we try the bblp, then the sink, then the toilet, then the other sink (as long as she's still happy)...Sometimes that seems to work.
pea little is offline   Reply With Quote