Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
UPDATED I know it should not bother me still...but it does

Update:

I had my baby on 7-9-09 and I have been nursing her in church. I did use the nursing mothers room once because she was fussy and I wanted quiet to get her to sleep. So far everything has been okay but I am still on edge about it all. I still get nervous in church, I still get myself worked up and almost sick over it.
I have not talked to Pastor about it yet because I am just not there yet. I would probably have a total break down if I tried.

I am hoping I can sit quietly and nurse her and no one will care and this can just be left a lone.

I have been using a cover.

Here is the back story:

When my son was about six months old I was called into a meeting with my pastor. I did not know at the time what is was about and I went in thinking it was something good because I never expected what was about to happen.

My husband got there and the pastor, his wife, the council, my best friend and her husband were all there. I sat down and pastor pulled out a couple pieces of paper, I soon saw they had printed out a picture I had of my son nursing that I posted on my myspace page. They also had one of my friend's nursing photos. That is when the attack started. They called it sexual, immoral, ungodly, said I was hurting the church and my image. They compared it to **** and asked if I would have sex on the internet. They also said people were complaining about my nursing him during service and that I should leave the room to do so. I was mortified and furious, I stood up, told them all they were sick, that breastfeeding was natural, normal and biblical, said they had art work of mary breastfeeding and they said there was no pictures ( no duh...since there were no cameras!! ) I walked out and I told them I would never again step foot into that church. My husband took me and my son home and he went back and told them all they were horrible and that what they just did was not only sinful it was sick. My friend and her husband stayed a little longer trying to discuss the issue and soon left because they got no where. It was horrible, I cried and cried. At the time my stress level was already high, my son had surgery four weeks earlier because he was born without a soft spot, my grandfather was dying and then a couple weeks later I found out I was pregnant with my second child.

Since then we have been to a couple different churches, we were at one for a little more then a year and I did have another child that I breastfed in the church but I always went into another room because I was so scared of something happening again. We left that church because they did not have enough for the kids and we have since started attending a church that I love. The people are so friendly and kind. I was still nursing my daughter but since she was older I never had to nurse during church. I am currently 24 weeks along with my third child and I will be nursing again. I am scared of nursing in the church because of what happened. Part of me knows they would never do that to me but I can not go through that again!

Here is the picture:

Advertisement

Last edited by whitneywalters; 07-27-2009 at 04:18 PM.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I know it should not bother me still...but it does

Oh, honey, that is SO SAD! Do they think Jesus was not breastfed? If the pastor was offended, it's because he's fallen into the over-sexualizing of women and their breasts instead of viewing them for what they're actually there for. FEEDING BABIES! What a jerk! I wouldn't want him as my pastor, either. I'm so so so sorry you had to go through that. What was it? Like a nursing intervention? Jeez!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
curlygirl717
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry you had to go through that. Of all places where you would think you wouldn't be attacked for doing something natural. Way to go for sticking up for yourself and not going back there. Beautiful pic.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow that's just insane! the pic is beautiful!
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
reagansmom05
Registered Users
seller

that is so awful!!! this doesn't compare to the way they hurt you, but i was nursing in a roman art exhibit and was told to go to another room [that i discovered later was a bathroom]. i was surrounded by naked statues, penises, boobs, everything! and even one small depiction of nursing.
i hope nothing of that nature happens to you this time around.
Anna, sahm to THREE boys [Reagan 4/25/05 & Hunter 7/17/07 & Logan 12/22/09 ] & one lost bean 2/15/09, Air Force Wife & SAHM. i love free gift cards from SWAGBUCKS!! EBATES and CloudCrowd and CASHBAQis where I earn paypal!! easy paid emails!!
reagansmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

That is just so awful how they treated you! That pic is so awesome and not immoral or sinful AT ALL!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
livn4him
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I have been a christian for a long time and could not imagine this happening in our church. It really gives churches a bad name.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
mitre10
Registered Users
seller
seller

What a hateful encounter, I'm so sorry this happened to you. Beautiful picture.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

I think that is a BEAUTIFUL picture. Yet another reason why I choose not to go to church. SHAME ON THEM!!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Teffer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Come to our church - we have a large group of women who regularly nurse whereever we are (LOL - I nursed in the FRONT pew), whenever our babies are hungry and at whatever age they are! Yes that's right, we nurse toddlers in PUBLIC! You are invited whenever you want to come by!

If you live in Genesee County, MI and are interested in babywearing, click https://www.facebook.com/groups/gene...tybabywearers/.
Teffer is offline   Reply With Quote