Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Koolio11
Registered Users

Freezer recipes- that accomodate allergies

I have the next (almost) week off of work for March Break (our Spring Break equivalent) and DD is going to the sitters for 3 of the days. This will be the only break I have before baby #2 arrives in June. I hope to use this time to make a whole bunch of freezer recipes to have ready. The catch is that, while DD is not very good on (true) solids (ie only does well with purees), I hope that by that time she will be able to eat some of our meals too. AND, she is SEVERELY allergive to DAIRY (incl goat's milk), SOY and EGGS. This eliminates a whole bunch of the freezer recipes I am aware of. Because she is allergic to both dairy and soy, it can't have any butter, margarine (shortening or oil ok) or cheese (since even the rice cheese here has dairy casein in it). SOOOO, I come begging of you, if you have a recipe that could be left in the freezer for a couple of months, that doesn't have those allergens or could be adapted to not have those allergens, I would LOVE to hear from you! TIA!!!

Advertisement

Koolio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
JP04JM08
Registered Users
seller

Re: Freezer recipes- that accomodate allergies

Wow, Mama. I'm sure sorry to hear about your DD's food concerns. My DS has dairy & peanut allergies, and he used to be allergic to eggs to, but outgrew that. The only suggestion I have isn't freezer-worthy, but it's not hard to make in a pinch, well, I guess that's relatively speaking. Baked potatoes - and top it with one of these recipes:

Colorful Chili Dip
1 3/4 c drained cooked or canned pinto beans (435 ml)
1 med scallion, sliced
2 Tbls balsamic vinegar or fresh lime juice (we like the lime best) (30 ml)
1 tsp chili powder (5 ml)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (2 ml)
1/2 tsp dried oregano (2 ml)
several shakes of Tabasco or a dash of cayenne
1/4 c. minced red bell peppers (60 ml)
1/4 c. minced green bell peppers (60 ml)

Combine all ingredients, except bell peppers, in a food processor, and blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the bell peppers. Mix well. Chill thoroughly before serving. Also takes good with corn chips.

Savory Sandwich Spread
1 3/4 c drained cooked or canned white beans (435 ml)
2 Tbls fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar (30 ml)
2 Tbls extra-virgin olive oil (30 ml)
3/4 tsp onion powder (4 ml)
1/2 tsp dried tarragon (2 ml)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (1 ml)
1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
1 (10-oz.) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed (1 285 g box)
1 c. shredded carrots (about 1 or 2 carrots) (250 ml)
1/4 c thinly sliced scallions (60 ml)

Combine beans, lemon juice, oil, onion powder, tarragon, garlic powder and salt in a food processor an dblend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a medium bowl. Squeeze the spinach as dry as possible. Stir it into the bean paste along with carrots and scallions. Mix well. Chill thoroughly before serving. Also good on crackers.

Italian Chickpea Spread
1 3/4 c. drained cooked or canned chickpeas (435 ml)
2 Tbls extra-virgin olive oil (30 ml)
1 Tbls water (15 ml)
1 Tbls balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon juice (15 ml)
1/2 tsp dried basil (2 ml)
1/2 tsp dried oregano (2 ml)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed garlic (1-2 ml)
salt and pepper

Combine the chickpeas, oil, water, vinegar, basil, oregano, and garlic in a food processor and blend into a smooth paste, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill several hours or overnight before serving to allow the flavors to blend. Can substitute white beans for chickpeas.

These are unusual, but maybe they will work for you. I like them, but not everyone does. They come from The Food Allergy Survival Guide by Melina, Stepaniak & Aronson. It's a good book!

Good luck to you!!!
JP04JM08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
HMDocsLady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chili is always good from the freezer, as are hearty soups/stews. Both of which are easy to make without the allergy foods. I love making split pea soup and freezing it in single/family size servings - easy if you have a blender and it doesn't need the milk. All of these go really well with steamed brown rice.

PM me and I'll send you the recipies.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
knock
Registered Users

I have a recipe for spanish rice. You have to like mexican food though, LOL.

I make this in a five quart batch. I don't have one big pot big enough for all the ingredients, so I divide it all up into my two biggest pots.
5 bell peppers, chopped.
5 large onions, chopped
5 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
5 pounds ground beef
Salt and pepper to taste

Oh dear, I just remembered I saute the onions and bell peppers in margarine. I bet it would be fine to saute them in olive oil though.

Sautee the onions and bell peppers in one big pot.
Brown the ground beef in another big pot. Drain the grease.

Mix the two together, so you have equal part meat, oil, peppers and onions in each pot.
Add the tomato sauce to the two pots.
salt and pepper to taste.

Cover loosely and simmer on low a while. I usually quit simerring when I just can't stand looking at all the tomato sauce splats on my stove any longer, LOL. So, about 20 or 30 minutes.

Pour it all into quart sized freezer containers.

When you are ready to eat it, Just boil some rice and pour the spanish rice sauce in with the rice once the rice is done. I always use the successs rice that comes in bags. Three regular sized bags of that usually is a good ratio of rice to sauce.

Sprinkle tabasco on your serving if you want.
knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
knock
Registered Users

I have also made fried chicken and frozen it in gallon sized zip lock bags. I got the idea from those boxes of banquet fried chicken you can buy in the grocery store and heat up in the oven, LOL.

The fried chicken I freeze isn't as good as when i have cooked it fresh, but it is just as good as the banquet stuff, lol.

Just reheat in the oven on a cookie sheet for like 30 or 40 minutes.

My very messy fried chicken recipe (which is from my Andy Griffith recipe book, so it is really Aunt Bea's fried chicken recipe ):

Buy a ten pound bag of chicken leg quarters. Wash the chicken. Cut the thighs and legs apart. Cut all the fat chunks and icky stuff off. I end up with about 20 peices of chicken, so that is about the right amount for two dinners, plus someone will eat the extra piece or two the next day.

You need three large cool whip bowls. Or equivalent sized bowls. One bowl half full of milk, one bowl half full of beaten eggs, one bowl 2/3 full of flour with generous salt and pepper mixed in.

First soak however many pieces of chicken you can fit in the bowl in with the milk.

Then take out a few pieces and put them in with the eggs. The eggs act like "glue" to keep the flour batter on. Then take out each piece of chicken and cover thoroughly in the flour. Then put the chicken directly into a frying pan that is 1/3 full of hot cooking oil. It takes 6 or seven pieces of chicken before my frying pan is full. Let it fry maybe 15 minutes before you turn it.

After each piece has cooked maybe 40 minutes, cut into a thigh and make sure there is no more pink near the bones. If there is no pink, it is done. take it out and set on a plate lined with paper towels.

My hubby thinks my fried chicken is too greasy, but most people love it.

Thw whole process of prepping and cooking an entire ten pound bag of chicken takes about three hours. Plus another hour to clean up the huge mess.

Oh -- after I posted, I reread your post. No eggs. Never mind on the fried chicken recipe. Sorry.

Last edited by knock; 03-29-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: forgot about the eggs
knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Koolio11
Registered Users

Thanks- there have been some good ones- most of which I have made before but, always good to have a refresher! I LOVE split pea soup and, for some reason, haven't thought to make it in a really long time!
As for the fried chicken recipe, sounds good too but, the problem is it includes both dairy and eggs! I suppose I could use rice milk as an alternative to the milk but, not sure what I could use for the egg since the powdered egg replacer usually only works in baked goods.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Koolio11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP04JM08 View Post
These are unusual, but maybe they will work for you. I like them, but not everyone does. They come from The Food Allergy Survival Guide by Melina, Stepaniak & Aronson. It's a good book!

Good luck to you!!!
I will check out that book- the spreads look yummy!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
econmama
Registered Users

Try http://sophiesafecooking.com/. My college roommate had a DD with multiple food allergies (more than your LO even). She developed a collection of recipes her older kids would also eat. I've tried a bunch and they are yummy. The real bonus is that all of the ingredients are things you can get at a regular grocery store (nothing crazy expensive or unusual). She usually has a few sample recipes posted on her blog, and you can download the cookbook online ($9.78).

Last edited by econmama; 03-31-2009 at 10:18 PM.
econmama is offline   Reply With Quote