Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BEST TIP for hard water

oh yes i do use the mortons but really any brand should be fine.-- i just recommend the pellets instead of the crystals as they may get "lost" in the little holes in your machine.

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oooooh, that's so awesome! They have GIANT bags at Costco and I thought about it but read it and since we don't have a water softener, I passed on it. I'm totally getting it next week, though!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bumping to share the tip
Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
lashon20
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well thanks alot for posting this, cause I was just thinking about how expensive calgon is for that little bottle and it doesn't last long. I always wondered could you use those but wasn't for sure. So I'm going to buy some and try it out.

Last edited by lashon20; 03-17-2009 at 04:12 PM.
lashon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #15
Honduh Chicken
Registered

My Mood:

You could fill one of these about half way up with salt pellets from any hardware store, then run it in-line with your cold washing machine supply line.

If you un-screw the sprinkling end, you can attach your wash machine hose right up to it, and the supply end up to where your washer is hooked up to now. If you do that though, make sure you shut off the valve (on the wall) when your done doing wash because the seals in these things sometimes leak, or it could fail or burst when you're not home leaving you with a flood. But if you turn off the water supply every time you'll be okay.

There's a major component to a water softner that's more than "injecting salt".

The salt is just a means to clean out the softner, it doesn't actually soften the water.

Knitting, CD'ing, Family loving, Earth loving, Diaper sewing Daddy!

Last edited by Honduh Chicken; 03-17-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Honduh Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Interesting. I'm going to run it by dh and make sure he doesn't think the salt will eat my machine. but that would be awesome, calgon is so expensive. By the time I buy all this stuff it's almost cheaper to use sposies, I'm not but I sure was thinking that when I had to buy calgon and bac out last time. it adds up.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

I am so going to try this. And I was just at Menard's earlier today - I'll have to get some of the pellets next time. Our water is terribly hard, at this point we can't afford to put in a water softener, and anything cheap that would help is awesome!
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
Honduh Chicken
Registered

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Interesting. I'm going to run it by dh and make sure he doesn't think the salt will eat my machine. but that would be awesome, calgon is so expensive. By the time I buy all this stuff it's almost cheaper to use sposies, I'm not but I sure was thinking that when I had to buy calgon and bac out last time. it adds up.
It will.

Salt is extremely corrosive to the internal pump components. Salt will corrode plastic, and stainless, which is what a majority of the pump internals are made of.

In a very diluted solution, it would take a fairly significant time to corrode things to the point that it damages things, but still none the less, salt is corrosive.

It's a common mis conception that water softeners use the salt to soften the water when the truth is, they use the salt to essentially 'regenerate' and clean themselves, the softening is done by displacing the calcium ions with sodium ions, it doesn't "salinate" the water, if this were the case, water utilities would simply add Sodium Chloride to the water supply.

Knitting, CD'ing, Family loving, Earth loving, Diaper sewing Daddy!

Last edited by Honduh Chicken; 03-17-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Honduh Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
JMBaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaViva View Post
Question: do you think this will this cause a rash? i recently switched from Baking Soda to Calgon and my LO broke out in a horrible rash (only figured out recently that it was the calgon thanks to a DS mama). We have very hard water, too.
I started adding Calgon to my laundry and we broke out with a rash too. But it also could have been the Tide I was using as Charlie's wasn't working in the hard water.

I've been doing this since Sunday and since we do diapers every day I have had two diaper pails laundered and my son's been in them and still no rash.

Give it a try. It's six bucks. Not a huge investment.
JMBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #20
opheliabliss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lucy Hope 08/15/09
opheliabliss is offline   Reply With Quote