Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:
Pregnant and overweight?

I really want another baby, but I am still have 40lbs I'd like to lose. How hard is it to be pregnant with the extra weight? Should I lose the weight first? Opinions/experiences please!

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pregnant and overweight?

I was overweight with every baby i have had. I never had GD, or high blood pressure or was over uncomfortable. But here that is not the norm. i did watch what i ate, and I actaully lost wt during hte pregnancy. With Emma I lost 30 lbs in the first 10 weeks. and after all waas said and done. at 41 weeks I weighed 4 lbs more than I did when I got preggy and then the next day had a 6 lbs 5 oz baby.
If you feel you can wait it is probably better to lose some for your own health and comfort, but I never had any issues. and my losses have had NOTHING to do with my weight..
Old 05-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am really over weight (over 200lbs) and my first two kids I got pregnant on the pill! With #3 it was harder but it was due to thyroid problems, not my weight.. I have had 3 normal perfectly healthy pregnancies with the exception of severe (hypermensis i beleive is what its called) morning sickness where I had to get IV fluids a couple of times and lost 40 lbs. My bp was always perfect, no GD, nothing like that! I have lost weight with all 3 of my pgcys and the OB/midwife said thats normal esp for an overweight woman.

So I feel like if you want to have another baby then GO FOR IT! Don't let 40lbs stop you, I wouldnt lose 40lbs to just gain another 40lbs back once you get pregnant..
Old 05-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
hfitz5051
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2bemommy
So I feel like if you want to have another baby then GO FOR IT! Don't let 40lbs stop you, I wouldnt lose 40lbs to just gain another 40lbs back once you get pregnant..
\
\
Exactly what I was thinking! But now dh is using that against me, "you said you should lose some weight first" I mean, we do already have 3, but I really want to try for a boy and I'd rather do it now, while we are young, and the kids won't be too far apart.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom has always been overweight...sometimes extremely so. And she has had 6 kids. The last one was 7 years after her last one before that and she was so big you couldnt' ever even tell she was pregnant...even at the end...and she concieved him while on BC pill. I've only heard that being really skinny makes it harder to concieve a child...Wouldn't it be easier to fnish having kids and THEN work really hard to lose ALL the weight?

I know we're supposed to excersize anyway...hehe

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
hfitz5051
seller

My Mood:

I was 90lbs when I got preggo with the first one lol. I know I will never be that again, I'm not even trying. I agree, have all the kids first, then get in shape. Now, to get dh on board...
Old 05-18-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't be 90lbs again unless I was on drugs...LOL I will be happy with @130...I worry more about HOW I look rather than how much I weight. I weighed 136 at the Dr today which means I've lost 12 lbs since I've got Pregnant...EEK!

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
raversangel
Banned

i was considered overweight with my first, gained 100lbs and never lost it, but never gained with my second and i've lost 20lbs so far with my third...so i wouldn't hold back at all mama! if anything i was more comfortable bigger than i ever was skinny i'd say go for it!!
raversangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
momof4
Registered Users
seller

Got pregnant 2 years ago and had a m/c; got so depressed that I gained 35 pounds (and I was already about 20 overweight to start with). Then, I got pregnant again, and now am doing great. Go figure! I've only gained 10 pounds so far, with just a month or so left to go. I say, go for it! You might lose weight in the first trimester, and you for sure will find it easier to lose weight when you're nursing.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
hfitz5051
seller

My Mood:

Thanks guys!