Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
Choose2bgr8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toddlers who argue (day care issue)

I think I need to find a way to get the toddlers here to stop argueing. Does anyone have any tips? Stella is 2 (we babysit her) and Lilly is 3 (she is my youngest dd) and they argue a lot. Sometimes they play well together. They argue sometimes about which one of them has to go to the bathroom and at the lunch table they will argue when I am on the way with their drinks that "it's my cup" when I have BOTH cups.

It is so hard for me to be consistant with them no matter how hard I try because the arguing is a daily thing. Sometimes many times per day and sometimes I have to deal with pinching and biting.

Both girls are guilty of all things. They are both stubborn and their personalities really clash.

Anyway, anyone have any insider day care tips?

Advertisement

Choose2bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
curious_george
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2hamish
seller

Re: Toddlers who argue (day care issue)

LOL when I read the title I thought, hey a solution to Hamish arguing with us. He does the same thing... mine! when he knows it's mine or dh's....

On a side note... he used to go to a babysitter who had the similar issue with her elder son who was 4.5 and Hamish. Only Hamish usually got the brunt of the disagreements though (pushed, hit,....) so we ended up changing sitters. The mom was not very effective at giving consequences to her children at all... which only made the problem worse imo. Not that you are anything like her! She had other issues and a different parenting philosophy anyways...

back to the topic at hand.. the only thing we do differently right now is that we tell H that we expect him to be polite and wait or share. We praise him when he does say please, thank-you and waits his turn or shares. We try to ignore the rudeness when he screams "MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNE!" at the top of his lungs... or throws himself to the ground b/c we won't give in. If he ever hurts one of us or gets hurt we ask him to give us a hug or we give him a hug until we're better.

Perhaps you could try praising when they do get a long and ignoring the so-so behaviour. I'm watching this thread in case someone has a better idea... I'm all ears and ready to learn!
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. -- Sir Francis Bacon
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm SOOOO gonna watch this! I could have written this thread myself!! LOL I do daycare for a 2yo (9/04) and also have a 2yo (2/04) and they do NOT get along. My son is constantly asking why he's a crybaby and he is seriously just always crying about something. My DC guy has issues at home with his mom & dad and its a sad situation. I have to take that into consideration A LOT! But he really gets possessive over MY kids' toys or his toys. He snatches toys from the other boys and then FREAKS if he has to give it back. He hits or screams at the top of his lungs if my 2yo is even looking at him the wrong way and ends up in time out at least daily for it. He pushes & hits and my DS is a retalitory biter so its not a good combo! He also has a 5yo brother who has ADHD and is very violent.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:05 AM   #4
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do day care too and I have to say I think it is an age thing. I have 2 two year olds also and it is holy heck sometimes. My guy gets the brunt of it most of the thim.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:22 AM   #5
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

when it comes to toys...I'd try making each a 'bucket' of 'thier own' toys. If it's possible, have the mom bring in some toys from home so that the other little one doesn't have issues with it so much, and that way when they start fighting over the community toys you can seperate them and they can play alone for a bit to regroup. The other thing with like cups...is there a way to make sure you give girl A the Pink cup and girl B the purple cup everyday? and try to steer clear of the characters and such? I have found with daycare that if things are consistant with what they can expect, it tends to be a little easier on the caregiver! However, this is also just a stage, but for the time being, I'd work on giving them thier own space during the day so they aren't clashing so much.

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:07 AM   #6
Choose2bgr8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you. Keep the suggestions coming!
Choose2bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 AM   #7
courtfrog2
Registered Users
seller

yeah!!! keep them coming... My DD is Stella! LOL. I'm totally at a loss and I know Amanda is doing EVERYTHING she is thinking of. Maybe we can get other hints/suggestions too. Thanks Amanda for posting this!

Gotta get back to work...LOL... boss just walked in!