Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
wearing twins (or more than one child) help needed...

maybe I should post this in the babywearing section, though I thought you mamas might have some experience with it.....

I currently have a few slings and an ergo. I can still carry my 2.5 year old on my back, but she usually wants to walk now. Are there special carriers or techniques for twins? I saw someone wearing one on the front and one in back with MT's before, and that looked complicated. Can you sling both babies? Any thoughts?

Advertisement

yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
Re: wearing twins (or more than one child) help needed...

I had the MaxiMom twin carrier but had to return it because it was just too big and bulky for me (maybe I am just too small for it, though). Something to google, anyway.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

A lot of wraps are good for wearing twins, as are pouches or ring slings for the first few months when they're both small enough to fit in one, since twins can enjoy the sensation of being close together as in the womb.

This page has some good info about wearing two.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
e-dub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never found it comfortable to wear two at once. I have three under 2, so they all get worn, but only one at a time. I prefer a back carrier, even for newborns (the Beco Butterfly is great for that!). Then you have your hands available to hold one in front or to chase a toddler. When we're out of the house, I wear one and push two in the stroller. There is a "wearing more than one" forum on TBW, though, with lots of ideas. Many people do it. I just never found that it worked well for us.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
mammaof??
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am also still trying to figure it out. I never got it down with the first set of twins and would just switch off wearing one and carrying the other. Now that I have another set of twins, someone let me borrow a MaxiMom. I had to get the directions from the company and am not sure about the comfort in wearing them both. My instinct is that front/back will be most comfortable, yet seems sort of bulky. I also have tried sling/moby combos. For me, the whole purpose of wearing the baby is so that I have hands free to do things: cook, dishes, laundry, hold a bigger kid, etc.

Can't wait to see what others say...

Mama to my amazing 8: 9, 7, 6, 4, 4 2, 2, AND Newbie, born 5/30/11- last 6 all born at home. Loving the babymoon!
mammaof?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
i&a's mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I could barely get the hang of wearing one, let alone two... I know it can be done, but no clue how. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used an Ergo for Abby with a Moby for Sarah when Sarah was itsy bitsy. My guess is that you'll need two wraps when they're little. Then keep one and pair it with your Ergo when they are older. I like a mei tai with a wrap as well, but since you already have an Ergo you might as well keep it.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
E&Msmom
Registered Users

Heck yes you can wear two!!! Im still doing it at times and they are almost 13 months old and Im a petite mama!!! I primarily use the MOBY wrap. I also have a backpack carry which is shown in one pic as well... PM me if you want to chat! If theres a will theres a way! Heres the pics:
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/tac298/the%20Moby/?albumview=slideshow
E&Msmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
BlissedOutMama
Registered Users

I am an avid babywearer, and the challenge of wearing twins was one of the few things that I was excited about when I found out I was having twins. My twins are nine months old now, and I have worn both of them since week one. In the early days, I often used a stretchy wrap to wear both of them. They slept great that way, although it did attract a lot of attention when we were out. Later on, I used one woven wrap to wear one in the front, and one on the back. That was great for a while, but you cannot take the back baby off without also taking out the front baby.

So, for the past few months, I have been loving a BabyHawk meitai on the back, and a Belle carrier on the front. The Belle is really simple, and does not feel bulky at all under the mei tai. It would also combine well with an Ergo on the back.

I don't carry them both all that often, but having that skill in my toolbox is really useful, and when they both need carrying, I am glad that I have persisted, and found a system that works well.

I would highly recommend going to the Babywearer.com, and reading the forum for Wearing more than one. I found tons of great advice there.
BlissedOutMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do the 2 MT's. It was maybe even my pic you saw. It's not complicated or hard at all. Mine are 15 months and I can still do it. I just put the back baby on first and then the front baby. Having one on front and one on back both with a two shouldered carrier keeps me totally hands free. I do find it bulky to have both on, but I really can't imagine it not being bulky any way you wear 2 except maybe when they are little. I didn't wear them at the same time then. I've also tried the MT on back and a sling on front. That really didn't work for us. You just have to try it and practice. You'll figure out what works for you. Good luck.