Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

Re: When did you leave your kids...

We left Emma for the 1st time around 15 months. She did suprising well esp. for a child who followed me from room to room at home and fussed whenever I'd leave her side!

I give alot of credit to her wonderful teacher! She's 26 months now and can't wait for Sundays so she can "go see her friends and Ms. Shana at church"!

I say just wait till you are both ready. If you are worrying about him in the nursery then you probably won't be paying attention in church anyway...so what's the point.

Maybe try staying in the nursery with him a few times and see how it goes. That way he can get used to the workers and the enviroment. Put a tag on him (as well as telling the staff everytime) that he is not to have any solids!

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was a nursery teacherfor 4 years and i dont leave dd!!! i taught in the 0-4 month room and ive gone back once since she was born and she was with me...the only problem i had was the hour dh and i would like to go to ss(big church 3 services sunday morning)the teacher doesnt speak english very well but she can use PFs and covers dh wants to teach hs ss now so i may go back and teach at the later hour w/the lady i love who i used to teach with and take dd with me...she did fine in there id just worry if i werent with her!!! and terri-the teacher i like and know-is the only one id leave my dd with
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Sorry to hijack, but what do you do w/them if you don't leave them in the nursery? I really wanna start going back to my UU church, but I can't leave DS (who's only 8 months) by himself. I think I'd be more comfortable having him with me if they had benches where I could get comfortable and nurse him to keep him quiet during service, but my church just has chairs.
We just keep him with us! I just keep a well stocked diaper bag, and we're usually good. When he was still nursing, I'd just nurse him there.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #14
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started leaving my first at about 5 months, but it didn't go very well. We have a silent pager system,a nd I was always getting called bc she was crying. She warmed up, though. She is 26 months now and loves to go to church to play with her friends. I like the pager system a lot. I know they'll call me if my baby is fussing, and I know most of the people (other moms) who work in the nursery, so that makes me feel better, too. Thus far with my second I have been wearing her in the sling, so she just stays with us.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #15
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Without reading replies...

I don't.

Unless I know them, know that they are certified in CPR and have taken courses in safety, have undergone background checks (mainly for teens and college age)-- it's a no go. I want to know they follow a 4 children (for under 2) to 1 adult ratio.

And really, when I go into a nursery and the person watching the children is older than MY grandmother? HECK no.

But I'm a bit over protective and have had some bad experiences while working in the childcare area, and have met the nicest pedofiles and creeps in church environments.

ETA so when we go to chruch, the kids are with us. We go to a casual service, ti's shorter Ashley sits quietly and normally sleeps in the sling, Caleb colors in his special colroign book.

Last edited by MamaMegan; 12-04-2006 at 07:26 PM.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #16
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I'm pretty lucky then. My church does do background checks and there is at least a 4:1 child/adult ratio plus the pager system. (one of the elders is a retired chief of police!

I also wanted to say that I hate it when people say things like, "he has to leave his mother sometime...." or the like as the pp mentioned. My MIL said something like that once when my dd was crying for me when we were at her house, and I will never forget it! I wanted to scratch my mil's face off and shout, "Of COURSE she needs her mother, and if you tell her she doesn't, we're never coming here again!!" Some people just don't get it.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #17
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

gosh, I seriously think I could give you a different answer for every time we go .

DD was about 9 months old the 1st time we put her in the nursery. She did ok. They will absolutely not let the babies cry longer than 10 mins - and your # goes up.

I like her to stay w/me during worship, and she gets a little overwhelmed by all the kids, and hasn't been doing too well - so I've been bringing colors and paper for her to play with, and toys that don't make noises.

On Wednesday I usually end up leaving early bc it goes beyond when we start bd routine, and she gets frustrated. Our church has a rocking chair w/a TV monitor so you can watch service while you nurse your DC. I've also stayed in there w/her when she is too rowdy - although were done nursing

I think you need to just do what makes you and your little one feel comfortable. It's not anyone's business what you decide to do w/her anyway!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #18
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Just thought I'd mention that we don't have paid nursery workers or college/high school kids. All of our nursery staff is comprised of moms and dads in the church who work on a rotating schedule. Our nursery is divided into two halves one for 0-12 months and one for 12months - 3years.

I'm in the nursery w/dd quite a bit because she stays with me when I work my shift once a month and we are in and out of there randomly when she's not handling being in the service well. Everytime I go in someone says to me "You can leave her here if you want" or "Why don't you go ahead and see how she does if you leave for a while?" Well, the one time I left her playing on the floor and went to change another kids diaper she flipped the freak out because she looked up and saw someone who wasn't me! So I think that should tell everyone how she does without me! LOL

At outr old church the nursery workers started asking me to leave her when she was 2 weeks old! And if that wasn't bad enough, all the newborn workers were older than my grandmother!!!! Um...NO! They also used to try and pry her out of my hands quite a bit and one time an older women took her for me so I could use the restroom after DD got done nursing and when I came back to get her she refused to give her back to me!!! I had to go get DH to physically take DD out of the ladies hands!

All that to say, my previous church turned this over protective mom into an uber-hyper-over-protective mom!!

P.S. Because of the grabiness of my previous church, DD is almost always in a MT when we're at the new church.

P.S.S. The new church isn't pushy or grabby at all.

Last edited by presleycaedmon; 12-04-2006 at 08:53 PM.
presleycaedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #19
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At outr old church the nursery workers started asking me to leave her when she was 2 weeks old! And if that wasn't bad enough, all the newborn workers were older than my grandmother!!!! Um...NO! They also used to try and pry her out of my hands quite a bit and one time an older women took her for me so I could use the restroom after DD got done nursing and when I came back to get her she refused to give her back to me!!! I had to go get DH to physically take DD out of the ladies hands!

All that to say, my previous church turned this over protective mom into an uber-hyper-over-protective mom!!

P.S. Because of the grabiness of my previous church, DD is almost always in a MT when we're at the new church.

P.S.S. The new church isn't pushy or grabby at all.[/QUOTE]

YIKES! I am an over protective mom, and it would have turned me uber, too! Glad the new church is better!!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #20
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Well, I'll be the odd one out on this one. My kids both started going to the nursery when they were about a month old. Sorry, I know, I am a bad mom, but they did fine. Our nusery accepts babies as soon as you want to bring them. The ladies that work in our bed baby room are older, heck, they kept ME in the nursery 30 years ago. However, I fully trust each one of them. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have left them, but these are 3 ladies I have literally known ALL MY LIFE. I also used to be the Preschool Coordinator for our church, so I know what goes on in our nursery dept.

My DH is on staff at our church, we both teach Sunday School (he teaches 11th grade, I teach 2 year olds), I sing on our praise team and in the choir, DH runs a lot of the computer/sound stuff on a rotating basis, when he isn't busy with his "staff" duties. We simply could not keep our kids with us. While some folks (at my church, too) are able to sit in the back with thier little ones, I can't hold the baby in the choir loft, nor can I teach a room full of toddlers with a baby on my hip.

Our nursery is broken down into very small age categories...we have a class for newborn to when they start pulling up (usually about 10-11 months), then a class for the "creepers", then a one year old class. Once they are in the One year old class, they stay with their "classmates", much like how school is graded, so they are all within a 12 month age of each other (ie born between October 2004 and September 2005). They "promote" each fall, just like the older children.

I have never regretted sending them to the nursery at such a young age. They rarely cried, in fact, it is fun for DS - he loves to play with his buddies and his teachers. DD has been in the nursery since birth, she just doesn't know there is any other way to be...good luck with your decision - you have to do what is best for you. Honestly, if there were just a bunch of parents working in an infant class, I wouldn't put my child in either. I know how some of my fellow church members parent their kids and I don't agree with them. I much prefer my loving "old" ladies!